Rubber boot sizing

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Rubber boot sizing

Postby daeion » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:42 am

I'm looking for a rubber boot to wear while pheasant hunting, training, and at the dog park, I typically wear a size 9.5-10 shoe. When in the store the other day I tried on a size 10 Muck Wetland and it felt like my foot was swimming in the boot, so I tried on a size nine and my toes were pushing into the front of the boot, this was with a lightweight wool sock on, which is what I would be wearing. Can anyone speak to how Muck sizing compares to other brands or how the wetland compares to other boots in Mucks lineup? Based solely on the Wetland it appears I either need a boot that runs large, so that I can wear a size 9, or a boot that runs small so that I can wear the size 10.
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Rubber boot sizing

Postby blue04 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:21 pm

I'm sorry if this rains on your parade, but . . .

The old saying that "you kill birds with your boots" is true. It's also true that, in my experience, Muck boots (and all of their competitors) are awesome for light walking over short-medium distances and super good for sitting (like in a treestand or a boat). But for miles of walking over rolling or mountainous terrain, you need lace up boots. I've never owned a pair of rubber boots that wouldn't eat my feet after a mile or two of walking in up and down conditions. The steeper the terrain, the faster they create blisters. Unless you happen to be lucky and have feet that are exactly the right size to match the way they are sized, you're going to have issues trying to do a lot of walking in rubber boots. And even if you do get lucky on the fit, I still don't think they will provide enough stability to keep your feet from shifting in them on side-hills.

I have Muck brand boots and love them. But like most things, they are the proper tool for a specific set of situations. Mucks should be great for training and the dog park (less walking). For hunting, my suggestion is to buy a good pair of waterproof lace-ups and enjoy your hunt. If you plan to ride an ATV until your dogs go on point, then jump off, flush, and shoot, go with the Mucks :-)
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby daeion » Tue May 01, 2018 8:55 am

Oh I'm not a fan of rubber boots, I've never actually owned a pair due to the lack of ankle support, but I do know several people who that is all they wear and after my goretex boots soaked through walking through a field covered in melting snow, I thought maybe I'd give rubber boots a shot.
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 10:39 am

I own several pair of Muck Boots. I think Blue's post is an accurate assessment of my experience. I wear my Mucks daily for choring, dog training, while turkey/whitetail hunting, mushroom hunting when wet and ticks are out. As to fit, I use an insole to take up some room and reduce my foot sliding around inside the boot. I think the ankle fit Lacrosse boots fit tighter than the Mucks do and rub your feet less, but they offer very little support against turning an ankle on uneven ground. The Mucks offer more support than do the tighter fitting Lacrosse is my experience.

But when I am hunting a cattail slough for Pheasants where each time I put my foot down I risk the possibility of stepping in a hidden hole and turning my ankle, I put on my lace up Schnees if it is warm and relatively dry out, or my uninsulated Kenetrek 10 inch Mt. Boots with gaiters over the top when it is cold and wet. The amount of support those boots provide is head and shoulders over the Mucks. I keep those Kenetreks waxed up and they are waterproof under every condition I have thrown at them so far.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby daeion » Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Unfortunately $400 on a single pair of boots isn't going to happen.
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ANick » Tue May 08, 2018 11:38 pm

I'm going to echo the thoughts above on the 'chore boot'. I know folks that wear the bejeebers out of those things. But, my feet are NOT happy in the things for a lengthy time. Ditto the thoughts on rolling an ankle.

Lace up boot for field, absolutely. Brand and cost? That too can vary. If the fit is right and they keep you stable and hopefully warm and dry, you are off to a good start. Some folks can get good wear out of a less expensive boot and do fine. A good number of better boots will out last the 'lesser' boot by a significant margin. In some cases, making them cheaper to own than several pair of those lesser.

Mileage doth vary.

Whatever you get, it isn't worth it if your feet have to pay for your choice. Oddly enough, hurting feet can be a real buzz kill. Live better, keep your feet happy. :)

Nick
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions