Got a funny dog story?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Got a funny dog story?

Postby LongHammer » Wed May 16, 2018 12:58 pm

a couple of years ago my wife got in a car wreck and was stuck in bed for a few months. (not the funny part) While I was at work she would need help getting some things so I started training Otto as a cut rate service dog. He started just picking up things she dropped and couldn't reach. Well we kept going with his training after my wife recovered. He knows what quite a few things are now and he loves to fetch them. Camping a couple of weeks ago people i mentioned his skills and folks to tried to call my bluff. I handed him my sunglasses and told him to go hide them in the woods. He came back I sent Otto with a sunglasses command. He trotted off and a minute later brought my sunglasses to me. I took three more times to convince everyone he knew what sunglasses are. We are at a point that he has started fetching things on his own. When I get home I sit on the couch take off my boots socks and shirt. I set them neatly on my boots. Then the wife comes home he says his hello and waits. Every time the wife goes into the kitchen where the laundry room is Otto grabs my shirt takes it over to her and starts pushing it into her till she takes it. Then it's the socks. A quick patrol of the house for any laundry laying around then rewards himself with some chow. The other day I was in the shower the bathroom door opened then I heard my wife scream. I jumped out and she was laying on the couch laughing with Otto climbing on her trying to force her to take my dirty underwear that were on the shower floor. Feathers, fur, TV remote, sunglasses, sandals, boots, and laundry the GWP a truly versatile breed.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 pm

LongHammer wrote:a couple of years ago my wife got in a car wreck and was stuck in bed for a few months. (not the funny part) While I was at work she would need help getting some things so I started training Otto as a cut rate service dog. He started just picking up things she dropped and couldn't reach. Well we kept going with his training after my wife recovered. He knows what quite a few things are now and he loves to fetch them. Camping a couple of weeks ago people i mentioned his skills and folks to tried to call my bluff. I handed him my sunglasses and told him to go hide them in the woods. He came back I sent Otto with a sunglasses command. He trotted off and a minute later brought my sunglasses to me. I took three more times to convince everyone he knew what sunglasses are. We are at a point that he has started fetching things on his own. When I get home I sit on the couch take off my boots socks and shirt. I set them neatly on my boots. Then the wife comes home he says his hello and waits. Every time the wife goes into the kitchen where the laundry room is Otto grabs my shirt takes it over to her and starts pushing it into her till she takes it. Then it's the socks. A quick patrol of the house for any laundry laying around then rewards himself with some chow. The other day I was in the shower the bathroom door opened then I heard my wife scream. I jumped out and she was laying on the couch laughing with Otto climbing on her trying to force her to take my dirty underwear that were on the shower floor. Feathers, fur, TV remote, sunglasses, sandals, boots, and laundry the GWP a truly versatile breed.

I know what you mean... my dog and I are continually fighting over my wife's underwear
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 am

[/quote]

I know what you mean... my dog and I are continually fighting over my wife's underwear[/quote]

You should just take turns wearing them. I am sure you both look fantastic! :lol:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 pm

My first Shorthair, Fritz, demonstrated the Bloodhound in his lineage several times. One night, I forgot to put him back in his kennel after being turned out to relieve himself. Around 10 p.m., he starts baying outside our bedroom window. I grab a flashlight and go out to see what's going on. When I arrive on scene, Fritz is walking a eight foot radius around a large, coiled up canebrake rattlesnake. He glances up at me, and all the while keeping an eye on the snake and continuing to howl, comes over and leans up against my leg. I think he was glad reinforcements had arrived! I was impressed that he instinctively knew the snake was dangerous. I didn't want the snake or dog harmed, and was going to lead Fritz back to the kennel when a thought came to mind. :twisted: With the dog intently focused on the snake, I bent over slightly and tapped Fritz on the rump with my left hand. He went straight up! I'm sure he thought that snake had gotten to him. I was laughing until I saw the look on his face. Some people think dogs facial expressions are limited, but there was no missing that look! I could immediately tell he didn't think it was funny at all. He would kill non-poisonous snakes without hesitation but gave venomous ones a wide berth. To my knowledge, he was never bitten by a poisonous snake, so I assume his aversion was instinctive.

I was quail hunting for the first time with a guy that had a couple of setters. We were hunting windrows of timber that had been pushed up several years before when the land was cleared for agriculture. The windrows had a lot of quail and were covered with blackberry vines. His setters wouldn't go into them because of the briars. He had hunted the area many times, and the quail had learned that they wouldn't be molested if they retreated into the blackberries. That didn't work with Fritz though. In spite of having much less hair than the setters, he would root out where the quail were hiding and point them. We took turns flushing points, most of which were Fritz's, because the flusher didn't get many opportunities to shoot.

At lunchtime, we ate under a tree near an old abandoned house. Fritz goes over to the densely vine covered house ruins with its crumbling chimney and points. His setters go by and don't give it a second look. It was certainly not where you would expect to find quail. I go past Fritz, gun at the ready and try to flush the birds. Nothing. More beating of the bushes and still nothing. So I release the dog and he quickly repositions and points the base of the chimney. I look in the chimney and there's a raccoon. My setter friend laughs at my dog for pointing trash and I try to explain the breed was developed to pretty much hunt anything, whether feathers or fur. He's not impressed and continues to rib me. Later in the day, I drop a quail across a 40 foot canal. My friend tells me I shouldn't have shot it. I ask why and he tells me his dogs won't swim the canal to pick up a bird. I respond "Mine better." I send Fritz, he crosses the canal without hesitation, picks up the bird and delivers to hand. My setter buddy was impressed. Never heard another word about the raccoon, and he invited me to hunt with him any time. I'm pretty sure Fritz was the reason for the invite. :)
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Over the weekend we were doing NA prep work with young dogs. Afterwards I got my older dog out to do a drag with a dead pheasant, just to give him something to do as he's not been getting as much training is he's used to. He conpleted a nice long drag and then I let him carry the dead pheasant on the walk back to the parking area. When we goy back I called him over to the vehicle. Well as soon as he realized that was it and he was going back in his crate, he looked right at me and crunched the bird, hard. All I heard was bones breaking. Then he crunched it again for good measure before reluctantly giving it to me and loading into the crate.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion