Got a funny dog story?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Got a funny dog story?

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:33 pm

I'll go first.

This happened last night. It’s 2:30 a.m. and one of my dogs wakes me with its whining at the front door. My wife, who normally takes care of such inconveniences, is gone for a few days and so I’m in charge of the three house cats and three dogs. In the dark I head for the door to let out the dogs out and immediately experience a warm squishy sensation between my toes and under my right foot on the tile floor. I had just stepped in a big pile of dog poop.

Now the problem was more complex. I’m naked, and also a little cold. None the less, in my stupor, I work through the options and act. Next, I’m hopping on one foot across the house towards the nearest bathroom and then stick my foot in the toilet and give it a flush. Not bad. Then another flush. And still another. After about four flushes I let the dogs in and head back to bed. This morning I had pretty much forgotten the experience but for a the second pile I somehow missed in the dark. Luckily I saw this one in time.

You're next
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Got a funny dog story?

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:04 am

Friend of mine got a call from a Preacher with an EP. The fella simply wanted the dog to come when called and hunt within range. My friend said to bring him on over and he'd take a look. A station wagon pulled in and it so happened a Disney trainer was there, the man that trained Old Yeller. The preacher pulled drove in, opened the back and turned loose the EP. Like a shot the dog was gone. The trainer yelled to get in the old kennel truck and catch the dog. The guy went bouncing across the prairie and when he'd get to one end of the property the dog would be headed for the other. Finally the pointer came roaring back and the trainer caught him. The Preacher said "You see, that's my problem. All I want to do is shoot a few birds over that dog". The other trainer, Disney's, said "Preacher, you gonna shoot birds over that dog you gonna have to ride Man Of War and carry a 30.06".

Always one of my favorite stories.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:13 am

Good Job on both posts Gentlemen. Thanks for the Chuckle.

Years ago a Man who was dying of Bone Cancer gave me his 5 year old Dropper. I brought the dog home, worked with him daily, got him recalling and retrieving well, found and pointed some wild Bobwhites. So I called up my best bird hunting Buddy and suggested we take our dogs down his Father-in-Laws Farm in SE KS and get them into some birds and see what my new dog would do.

We started down a big wooly draw that held multiple coveys in that era and it was not long before my new dog Sam went on a typically beautiful EP style point. I started into the cover and my Buddy said to wait up while he called his GSP bitch in to back. Which he did and she did. I started into the cover again and my new dog Sam broke point and started moving on down the cover, completely abandoning his initial point. I did not know the dog well and was not real happy to see that, said and did nothing but watch him work to see what he was going to do next.

Meanwhile my Buddy's GSP Maggie moved up and he went into the heavy cover in front of her. Moments later he wheeled and struggled violently back out of the brush as Maggie dove forward further into the brush, yelling as he went, "Maggie NO!!! IT'S a SKUNK!!!"

Too late for Maggie. Her Rolling and Puking while Sam pointed birds further down the draw.

A while later we were loading our dogs into our respective vehicles to head home. My buddy loading Maggie into his Jeep Waggoner where he could keep close tabs on her condition while driving home.

Before we headed out, I conjectured that I thought Sam was so Smart he was actually trying to Warn us of that Skunk but of course I could not yet be sure of that having only seen it once. My Buddy's laugh was not near as long and loud as mine was.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:24 am

We had a litter of pups at the kennel and my wife was taking care of them while I was at field trials in Montana. The mother of the litter was an unbelievable hunting dog our guides all used but not the greatest mother. Once the pups were about five weeks old, she hated being locked up with them. My wife felt sorry for her and let her out while she cleaned the whelping house. We let our banty chickens nest kind of wild in a section of the kennel protected by a fence. The old dog, Nipper, wandered out of the kennel and immediately spotted a hen and brood of chicks, charging them. My wife saw here and yelled " No, Nipper, No!". Nip payed no attention and kept on with the charge. The hen flew over the fence and all the chicks but one, ran through the mesh. Nip grabbed it. My wife got to the old dog and Nip turned to her. My Wife commanded SIT and Nip did with only the two little feet of the chick sticking out of the front of her mouth. Wife put out hand and said "Nipper, you drop that bird!" Nip looked up and her and swallowed the chick in one gulp. My wife was so mad she grabbed her by the ear and dragged her back to the kennel, locked her back up with the pups and never let her out again until I got back home.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:29 am

One of my clients had a very marginal dog in Derby training (retriever) and we were at the last field trial of the year in Butte, Mt. before the National. His wife was an ex army nurse, tough as they come and was giving him a bunch of crap over something. His daughter had left home and was shacked up with her boyfriend, who the client hated. Last series of the derby was colder than Hell and he took the dog to line for a water double. Dog got the first bird and when he sent her for the second bird, she just looked up at him and refused to enter the cold water again. I really hated that dog. He heeled her back off line and passed my as I was in the holding blind, waiting to run. He stopped, looked at me, and said " A bitch is a bitch, is a bitch". I won the derby with the dog I was in the blind with, also derby listing her.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:36 am

I was in Arizona for the winter training with 20 dog's. About 15 of them were advanced dog's. A slew of clients were down there visiting me and their dog's for a month or so and we had a marking concept quad set up. I had 15 of the dog's out of the truck and lined up behind me, honoring the other working dog's. I'd call them to line one at a time and send the other dog back. I had one dog at my side and an old character of a client yelled in to me "Pretty proud of those dog's aren't you pardner?" I replied that "Yes I was". He said "Well, better turn around and look then." I turned around and there was Bubba up on Miss Ellie's back humping away on her though she wasn't in heat. My other clients just cracked up and were literally rolling on the ground but it was very embarrassing to me and followed me for years. The dog's? Miss Ellie became the Idaho State Champion and a FC-AFC. Bubba, one of the great dog's I ever trained, died that summer at 2 of cancer.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:51 am

My wife woke up from a nap this weekend and walked into the kitchen to find my dog lounging on the countertop. No food was missing or disturbed. I was working in the yard on the chicken run and we think he got up there so he could watch me.
Attachments
9E99E43B-05DF-44B8-8FA2-FE88219655E4.jpeg
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Spindog » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:49 am

No. Sorry
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:09 pm

When I was in college I had a good looking and super friendly young Labrador. He was a "chick magnet" especially as a pup. I also had 4 roommates in our house. Now I'd walk him every day and also run back and forth between classes to let him out. So many times though he would just be,completely wore out though before I even took him. I soon found out, when random people would be asking me if that was (insert name of any of my roommates here) dog, that he was probably the most walked puppy on the planet.

And at least twice I was sitting in class, just happened to look out the window and had to apologize to the professor with a "oh $#*!, very sorry but that's my dog running free across campus, I gotta go."

Thankfully I went to school in rural New Hampshire and my dog had a ton of personality to win people over. Plus he ended up being a very well trained dog that I could walk at heel everywhere off lead and he'd never break, even with another dog walking by. But those first two years were an adventure.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:35 pm

a few years ago I got home from work and found a note from my wife that she'd gone to a meeting but had me left a "delicious salmon dish" in the refrigerator. So I took it out and heated it up in the microwave and sat down to eat. The dog was jumping around and obviously very glad to see me, and I was really happy about that because my wife usually fed it and it had been spending a lot more time hanging with my wife than me. For instance, the dog would go to the passenger side of the car to greet my wife when we'd come home in the car, which was pretty annoying. Some favorite hunting dog.

Well, the food tasted pretty bad so I set it aside and went into the living room and played some tunes on my fiddle. Later I started getting really hungry so I added a bunch of salt and re-heated it and ate some more. It was still pretty bad so I petted the the dog some more and played a few more tunes. A little later I just had to eat something so I heated up the bowl once again and ate some more. It was then that I saw the painted dog paw print in the bottom of the bowl!

When my wife came home she announced that I'd really "fk'd up this time" and proceeded to pull out a delicious salmon dish from the back of the refrigerator that she and the dog ate together - as I sat on the couch holding my stomach.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Stretch » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:36 pm

Here just a couple days ago my son got a little rough with the dog. Anyhow I got after him for being mean and I thought it was over. Well about 10-15 minutes after I got after my son for being mean, the dog climbed up in the middle of his bed and took a number 2. That was the second time he has sought revenge in the same way. The other time my oldest boy was mean to him and we went through the same deal, only he took a number 2 on and in his shoe.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:12 pm

A couple of weeks ago I took Spud for an afternoon run. We were still in sight of the truck when Spud returned to heel with this.

Which is common. I praised him, grabbed the tail and as soon he took off, I dropped it.

We proceeded on. Sometime later here came Spud with this.

A ripe dead cat with intestines handing out. "Good Boy, Spud" was what I said but not what I was thinking. Dropped it. Proceeded on.

Finally a point. Not as stylish as normal, but I snapped a photo with my phone and proceeded in to flush with visions of gaudy rooster cackling and wringing his long tail bursting from the cover.

As I reached Spud he broke his point and dove into the grass in front of him. That is not normal at all, I thought.

"SPUD NO!!!!" This is the photo you get with your phone the moment you see your dog's head emerging from the grass as he turns and heads your way with firm grasp across the back of Skunk releasing it's defense system at full bore. Too late for Spud. It was every man for himself at that point as I made a hasty retreat. Luckily I drive a PU with a camper shell ...

Not Spud's finest outing but solid 4s in Search, Use of Nose, Pointing, Cooperation and Retrieve to Hand.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Truly a "versatile dog" AG. :lol: :lol:
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:55 pm

I was running in a reliever trial in Billings, Montana, had won the Qualifyng and was in the third serires of the Open, on a water triple. Mike Flannery was a judge (Owner of River Oaks Corky, high point retriever of all time at this time). Corky was notoriously "sticky" on his birds. Anyhow I was in pretty good shape and ran the triple. Dog creamed the triple and on the last bird, stuck on it. As soon as he looked up at me, I KNEW he was going to stick. I tried several times to get the bird but the dog's mouth was like a bear trap. Then the junior judge made a huge mistake. He jumped out of his chair and came around look at the dog. That scared the dog and he dropped the bird. The judge wanted to drop me, but Flannery said no.

Next day was the fourth series, a barn burner of a water blind. I got my clients up when it was dark and we were on the training ground by daylight. I had one chance to correct the dog. I told one client to throw the bird and blow him up 10' off the end of the barrel, hamburgering the bird. He did. I sent the dog and he knew it was a set up. He delivered the blown apart bird and as I SO SLOWLY took it from him he reached up and licked the intestines. That was all it took. I piled on him and beat the living crap out of him. He severed the tendons on one hand. One client said to the other, "Geeze Mac is tough on that dog". The other client said " Nah, just a case of one A-hole meeting another one". We went to the hospital and they stitched me back together.

They delayed the series until I got there. I went to line, hand bandaged up, dog with one eye nearly swollen shut. Flannery took a look at me and said " Bet he doesn't stick today". He didn't and I got 4th.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Bruce, that Dog Food Advisor guy's got nothing on you. Good Stool?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion