Gobbler Down!

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Gobbler Down!

Postby AverageGuy » Tue May 01, 2018 12:49 pm

orhunter wrote:JD.... What subspecies is that? I'm not good at turkey ID. It has really nice colors.

Pretty sure those are Eastern Gobblers.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 pm

JD, good Job, the second bird didn't show on my computer . I am like you hunted the first week and had to come back to work. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Wed May 02, 2018 10:38 am

orhunter wrote:JD.... What subspecies is that? I'm not good at turkey ID. It has really nice colors.

yes, as AG stated, Easterns
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 am

Turkey hunted a new spot this morning. The woods were literally echoing with at least 6 gobblers all around me in different directions, right at dawn. Had a jake come in at 45 yards. Still got 2 more weekends after this one two fill my second tag or I would have popped him. Looking for another mature Tom. Had a few hens poking around as well. Mosquitos were absolutely hellacious this morning so after about a half-hour of sitting against a cedar tree getting swarmed by mosquitos, I got up and got moving around through the woods, a little spot-n-stalk. Walked up to within 20 yards of some elk before they busted me. No turkeys were harmed in the making of this hunt. Trying to decide between a turkey hunt or bear hunt tomorrow morning. Leaning towards the turkey since I have until the end of June to fill my bear tag.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Sat May 05, 2018 3:39 pm

When I did hunt turkeys, which had been several years ago now, I harvested just as many birds stalking as I did over decoys and calling. Our rolling hills here and natural choke points made it very efficient. Very very few gobblers to be found these days here in my neck of the woods. Looks like the overall population here in Georgia is on the decline.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat May 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Luck runs in cycles and I am on the upswing at the moment. Have called 5 mature gobblers to the gun within 20 yards in 4 hours of hunting across 3 days so far. I have offered to let others rub my Bald head for luck.

3 of those were Eastern Gobblers in Missouri where my preseason scouting put me in great spots to work birds to a call off the roost. Which does not always work and that is where the run of good luck comes in.

The two SD Merriams I took were gullible. I called in and took the beautiful white rump bird first, stashed it and continued hunting. Two hours later I called in two big strutting Toms to within 15 yards and filled my second tag, after striking them up a qtr of a mile away and across a river. They answered sparingly for awhile, then started jumping on the call, then started moving towards the call, then moving quickly and jumping on every call. Heard them drumming before they showed up coming in from behind me over left shoulder.

On pressured Eastern Gobblers I will take scouting, followed by setting up and calling in the right spot every time over trying to sneak up on one our birds. Particularly this season when the woods have yet to leave out. Besides being more effective I like the intensity of a bird working into range to a call. Similar to calling ducks vs jumping shooting ducks for me.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat May 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Man AG, sounds like you have had a banner turkey year. I am jealous. I pretty much only hunt Idaho this time of year, since I save my limited vacation time for fall waterfowl or upland hunting.

And Bigearl, yeah I am a big fan of spot-n-stalk turkey hunting. I can't sit still very good. Only in the duck blind and even then, only for a few hours. I like active hunting.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Can I join in?

First ever turkey. First ever critter with a bow. Solo, making it up as I go.

Used my out of tune goose call to get a shock gobble, crested two ridges to get close, set up my mini panel blind, and gave 4 series of yelps. He came in on a line over 300 yards. Took some contortion to draw back behind a 30 inch blind. Luckily he quartered away enough to let me take my time.

Wasn't confident in a head shot at 20 yards, but it seems my shot placement worked.
Attachments
20180506_081035-1612x1209.jpg
20180506_081018-01-1451x1090.jpeg
IMG_20180506_094855_962-1218x1209.jpg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun May 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Congratulations! You are hooked now.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:05 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Congratulations! You are hooked now.

I never understood the hype.

Now I do. Miles in the Chippewa national forest, and I was hooting and hollering like a crazy man.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun May 06, 2018 9:13 pm

LOL. I hooped and hollered when I killed my first Spring Gobbler too! Ran all the way back to the house with my First Archery Gobbler, so excited to show the Wife. Understand and very Happy for You.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Congratulations. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Mon May 07, 2018 5:35 am

congrats jlw034 - way to go!!

reference the hype - does seem strange, but them birds make me excited like a kid when they come in like that!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon May 07, 2018 10:52 am

You guys are killing me. Out in the cool woods chasing turkeys whooping it up. I am locked in the house with the temps hitting 109 yesterday. It was too hot to go canoeing.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:47 pm

LongHammer wrote:You guys are killing me. Out in the cool woods chasing turkeys whooping it up. I am locked in the house with the temps hitting 109 yesterday. It was too hot to go canoeing.

It was a beautiful time to be out. 40 in the am, grouse drumming, wood ducks bombing out of trees, beavers slapping tails, and trumpeter swans bellowing.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting & Firearms