Kent Bismuth Ammo Review.

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Kent Bismuth Ammo Review.

Postby chiendog » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 am

ANick wrote:Craig!!

Put up a shot of one of those beauts with the action open!!?? :) Pretty please!?

I want a picture of Blue's face when he sees that.. :)

Nick

Here ya go!

And here are some videos that I made to demonstrate:

How to disassemble a V model Darne, https://www.facebook.com/craig.koshyk/videos/10211539390533150/

How to put it back together https://www.facebook.com/craig.koshyk/videos/10211539391213167/

How to operate its safety switch https://www.facebook.com/craig.koshyk/videos/10211539392453198/
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:58 am

Beautiful guns. I'd only seen box lock and side lock doubles before. What type is that? Are the shells extracted/ejected when the action is open?
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby chiendog » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:06 am

flitecontrol wrote:Beautiful guns. I'd only seen box lock and side lock doubles before. What type is that? Are the shells extracted/ejected when the action is open?

The guns are made by the Darne (pronounced darn) company in France. It is an old design (pre 1900) called a 'sliding breech block'. And yes, the shells are extracted when the breech is open but only the shell that has been fired is extracted. If one is still not fired, it remains in the chamber. Darne calls this an 'automatic ejector', but it is actually just an auto extractor (the gun 'automatically' selects only the fired shell(s) and the shooter tips the gun over so that it can fall out). Lots more info and photos here: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... ech-block/
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:13 pm

:shocked!: WOW!!!
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:25 pm

They are Darne purdy?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:24 am

Rogers Sporting Goods had a good price on a Case of Kent Bismuth 12 ga 23/4 11/4 oz 4s so I bought one. Will use them on several WMAs which require non-toxic shot hunting pheasants and if we jump any waterfowl along the way, them too.

Was wondering how folks who have used the load found the choke performance. Do your guns/choke pattern more tightly with this load as is common with steel, or does it pattern more similar to regular lead loads? Thanks for your input.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm

orhunter wrote:They are Darne purdy?

I see what you did there.

Seriously though, when my wife wanted to join me for a duck hunt she wanted to carry my 28 gauge (of course she likes my nicest gun) and I bought a box of 28 6 shot of Kent Bismuth for it. Really nice stuff, she folded a big late season bluebill over the dekes. Of course, we weren't taking long shots with it either.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby chiendog » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:29 am

AverageGuy wrote:Rogers Sporting Goods had a good price on a Case of Kent Bismuth 12 ga 23/4 11/4 oz 4s so I bought one. Will use them on several WMAs which require non-toxic shot hunting pheasants and if we jump any waterfowl along the way, them too.

Was wondering how folks who have used the load found the choke performance. Do your guns/choke pattern more tightly with this load as is common with steel, or does it pattern more similar to regular lead loads? Thanks for your input.

My unscientific hunch is that bismuth patterns more or less the same as lead.
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions