Tick Prevention

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Tick Prevention

Postby Mike50 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Just wondering when those of you in the northern states start there tick prevention. Mine starts tonight.
So many breeds so little time!
User avatar
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Green Bay Wi

Postby coveycreek » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:51 pm

have you seen ticks yet? Just curious.

Over the past few years I have vaccinated for lyme and use k9 advantix. I am curious about triforce which is pretty new on the market but I am not willing to use my dogs as a guinea pig for it so will wait on that. If the dogs are house dogs you should be sure to check them any chance you get. Kennel dogs are harder to check as often but do it with them as well. On a kennel dog I would probably use a high quality collar. I don't use them on house dogs due to the kids.
coveycreek
Seasoned
Seasoned
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Tick Prevention

Postby shawnsgriff » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:11 am

Mike50 wrote:Just wondering when those of you in the northern states start there tick prevention. Mine starts tonight.


Hey Mike.....I just started Parker back on his heartworm and on April 1st both are getting there Frontline Plus on.Do you get yours a Lime shot?If not it wouldnt hurt the way ticks were last year.
No matter how little money and how few
possessions you own having a dog makes you rich.....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=523
User avatar
shawnsgriff
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:34 am
Location: Wisconsin

Postby Mike50 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:31 am

shawnsgriff wrote (Do you get yours a Lime shot?) yes. This year I got the Frontline Plus for the large breed 110# and over. And split the dose between the two dogs. A trick that I had seen posted here.
So many breeds so little time!
User avatar
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Green Bay Wi

Postby yawallac » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:55 am

A trick that I had seen posted here.

Here's another cost saver!!

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/4500/DI75-S

I have to treat for Heartworm year round here and with a kennel full of dogs the cost can be quite expensive. I use Ivermectin paste for horses. The tube treats a 1250 lb horse and is graduated into 50 lb increments. One click on the plunger equals a 50 lb dog. A $2.69 tube will treat 25, 50 lb dogs. I just walk down the kennel and wipe a dab of paste on the roof of each dog's mouth. Takes only a few min. to treat the whole kennel once a month.

So if you have one 50lb dog the $2.69 tube will last over 2 years at about .11 cents per treatment! Compare that with the price of a single Heartguard tablet! :D
User avatar
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:00 am

Postby shawnsgriff » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:09 am

yawallac wrote:
A trick that I had seen posted here.

Here's another cost saver!!

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/4500/DI75-S

I have to treat for Heartworm year round here and with a kennel full of dogs the cost can be quite expensive. I use Ivermectin paste for horses. The tube treats a 1250 lb horse and is graduated into 50 lb increments. One click on the plunger equals a 50 lb dog. A $2.69 tube will treat 25, 50 lb dogs. I just walk down the kennel and wipe a dab of paste on the roof of each dog's mouth. Takes only a few min. to treat the whole kennel once a month.

So if you have one 50lb dog the $2.69 tube will last over 2 years at about .11 cents per treatment! Compare that with the price of a single Heartguard tablet! :D


Yawallac, ?.....So its the same thing as Heartguard?Makes since to go that route then.I think i just paid 60+ for heatworm tabs. I quess I'll have to look it up.
No matter how little money and how few
possessions you own having a dog makes you rich.....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=523
User avatar
shawnsgriff
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:34 am
Location: Wisconsin

Postby Mike50 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:17 am

yawallac wrote (Here's another cost saver!!)
I'll be adding that one to my bag of tricks also!
Thanks Mike,
So many breeds so little time!
User avatar
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Green Bay Wi

Postby yawallac » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:40 am

So its the same thing as Heartguard?

Ivermectin is the active ingredient for the prevention of heart worms in Heartgard. Same thing.
User avatar
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:00 am

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:47 am

I thought everyone knew about equine paste. The other good deal is to buy a 50ml bottle of 1 % Ivermectin should you get a mange outbreak. Inject 1/2cc/55lb every 10 days for a month and usually clears it right up. The 50ml bottle costs $35-50, depending on your farm store and syringes (20-22 gauge) are $.25.

CAUTION!!!! Some breeds do not tolerate Ivermectin--Collies are one of them. Never heard of a problem with a sporting breed but look it up for other breeds.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 3917
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:41 am

Postby shawnsgriff » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Ive heard about it but never got the nerve up to try it.I really dont know that much about the product itself.
No matter how little money and how few
possessions you own having a dog makes you rich.....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=523
User avatar
shawnsgriff
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:34 am
Location: Wisconsin

Postby orhunter » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:17 pm

I use the 1% injectable available at farm supply outlets.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 7299
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Postby JC » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:28 am

yawallac wrote:
A trick that I had seen posted here.

Here's another cost saver!!

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/4500/DI75-S

I have to treat for Heartworm year round here and with a kennel full of dogs the cost can be quite expensive. I use Ivermectin paste for horses. The tube treats a 1250 lb horse and is graduated into 50 lb increments. One click on the plunger equals a 50 lb dog. A $2.69 tube will treat 25, 50 lb dogs. I just walk down the kennel and wipe a dab of paste on the roof of each dog's mouth. Takes only a few min. to treat the whole kennel once a month.

So if you have one 50lb dog the $2.69 tube will last over 2 years at about .11 cents per treatment! Compare that with the price of a single Heartguard tablet! :D


yawallac- love it - Ivermectin! you have been arround for awhile :wink:
Breeder here used to give a small does into the mouth for pups and adults- few years of that- what ya think :wink:
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:23 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Ivermectin

Postby Konza Vadasz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:47 am

Just be sure NOT to get Ivomec PLUS, as the added ingredient isn't safe for dogs. My vet recommended the 1% Ivomec injection solution at a dose of 1cc per 70# on their food once a month. A 50 ml bottle will last a whole kennelful of dogs quite a while.
Deb
Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla in KS
User avatar
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Ivermectin

Postby JC » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:44 am

Konza Vadasz wrote:Just be sure NOT to get Ivomec PLUS, as the added ingredient isn't safe for dogs. My vet recommended the 1% Ivomec injection solution at a dose of 1cc per 70# on their food once a month. A 50 ml bottle will last a whole kennelful of dogs quite a while.
Deb


what and how I and my breeder used- interesting that your vet recomended you do it
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:23 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Postby JC » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:48 am

DrahtsundBraats wrote:I thought everyone knew about equine paste. The other good deal is to buy a 50ml bottle of 1 % Ivermectin should you get a mange outbreak. Inject 1/2cc/55lb every 10 days for a month and usually clears it right up. The 50ml bottle costs $35-50, depending on your farm store and syringes (20-22 gauge) are $.25.

CAUTION!!!! Some breeds do not tolerate Ivermectin--Collies are one of them. Never heard of a problem with a sporting breed but look it up for other breeds.


got to agree- interesting to see this come up :wink:
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:23 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Next

Return to Healthcare

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests