Domestic ducks for duck search?

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Domestic ducks for duck search?

Postby RDJ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:29 am

I have a youngster that I will run through HZP this fall, and I have been thinking about how to train the duck search during the summer. Where I live it isn't possible to buy mallards, so I've been thinking about using domestic ducks as a "bettee than nothing" solution. Anybody have thoughts or experiences wirh this? Is it just a waste of time, or can domestic ducks gice the dog some valuable experiences?
RDJ
Started
Started

Re: Domestic ducks for duck search?

Postby carramrod » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:34 am

I've used domestic ducks before. Not usually ideal but pen raised mallards aren't much different a lot of times. As long as the duck actually goes in the water and not a bee line for land you should be fine. Otherwise I just tape their legs and wings so they can't get out of the water or use some fresh dead ducks.

I also think you can overtrain duck search.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:17 pm

I should work OK. You might consider taping the bills shut as well. Some can be pretty aggressive
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:05 pm

I haven't ever used domestic ducks, I guess they will be ok, one way to find out is try.
Have you looked on craigs list ? that is where I found my mallards I used for the duck search training.
Where do you live ? Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:43 pm

~
Avoid the muscovy ducks.....

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Also look at your local chapter training days, they will usually have ducks if you request. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:07 pm

RDJ wrote:I have a youngster that I will run through HZP this fall, and I have been thinking about how to train the duck search during the summer. Where I live it isn't possible to buy mallards, so I've been thinking about using domestic ducks as a "bettee than nothing" solution. Anybody have thoughts or experiences wirh this? Is it just a waste of time, or can domestic ducks gice the dog some valuable experiences?

I'd try to avoid using white ducks but I know people that have used rouen ducks and khaki ducks with success and various "brownish hybrids." And please, if you're going to use any tape DO NOT use duct tape. Masking or painter's tape is all that should be used.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:~
Avoid the muscovy ducks.....

Never liked the Rouen's either....twice the size of a mallard.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:49 pm

It shouldn't matter. Aside from Muscovy's I think msot farm ducks are descended from Mallards anyway. I'd avoid a white one but aside from that wouldn't worry. Rouen's and Khaki Campbells are fine. I know a breeder that has a few UT1's and at least one VC GSP that likes huge azz farm ducks or even Geese for training. He said that he trained using undersized ducks one year (they only grow so fast) and that he got bit when the dog did recover the duck during duck search but had trouble handling it during the test since the test had ducks that were ostensibly "Mallards" but were pretty big.

We just ran our test and I can tell you the ducks weren't pure mallards. The Hens beaks were the wrong color. The Drakes did appear to be mallards.

Also, how is a Mallard that's been hatched in an incubator and raised in a pen appreciably different than a Khaki? (They aren't.)

Since its HZP and you'll presumably do a fox retrieve, a bigger bird will only help you.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training