Still at it.

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Still at it.

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:34 pm

The seasons are winding down. We have had some banner days, many more days with a few birds shot, a few days where we bagged nothing, but we have had only two days where we failed get a bird contact. So all in all Another Blessing of a Season.

Travelled home from KS yesterday. Hunted close to home this morning.

Spud photobombed our 2 shell limit from this morning.

Point from this morning's Hunt. Sorry going way photos are all I get when also trying to shoot a late season rooster while hunting alone.

Another point from this morning.

Running in with our first rooster this morning.

Spud made a big loop at the start of hunt and I let him go. I enjoy seeing him fired up, but hunting late season pheasants in that kind of cover - he does his best work when he slows down a bit and tightens up his range. I knew he would and let him decide when.

We are in KS Limestone country now - From earlier this week.

Was expecting a covey of Bobs but turned out to be a group of about 10 pheasants. Scratched down a rooster with my 7.5s and IC choke.

Quail numbers were surprisingly disappointing on this trip. But we found birds, got some good dog work and shot a few each day, so all reasons to know we were Blessed to be doing it. Bringing in a cripple off a double my Brother made.

It takes good light to get a detailed photo of a Black dogs face and I seldom have it. Got a decent one here.

We will hunt around home through the last day on Tuesday, then back out to Ks several more times is the plan. Hopefully some goose hunting in Feb/March. Saw a big strutting tom turkey last week - it was 18 degrees that morning - Guess he is ready for Spring.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Still at it.

Postby Stretch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:14 pm

I can only hope my dog turns out as good as Spud. I know my photography won’t ever be up to par, I like shooting way to much!!! Anyhow as always great job by both of you.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Thanks Stretch. Spud is just a dog, but he is my Dog. You know how it is. I will get up your way in February and we can run your pup and carry a camera while doing it. If you have a coop my homers are laying eggs daily at the moment ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Stretch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:50 pm

A coop and building a kennel is going to be my spring projects. I just got my house bought so I’ve been holding off on building stuff.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:04 pm

AG, Thanks for taking us along, beautiful photos & spud is beautiful also. I am still at work until WED, then get to hunt. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:14 pm

nice hunt and photos
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Very nice. Excellent photos. I see the end of our season drawing near (last Sunday in Jan in California and first Sunday in Feb in Nevada) and a ton of rain in the forecast this week and it's got me feeling a little depressed...
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 pm

Very nice AG! Enjoy your posts.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Thank You Gentlemen.