FF During Season????

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: FF During Season????

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:34 pm

crackerd wrote:Willie, dunno what you deleted above, but no matter - just wanted to say that is a lovely hold of a black goose by your GSP pup for "early posterity." And your thinking about sorting the pup's retrieve ahead of the season mirrors mine.

MG

Kind of a strange post by Kiger, don't ya think?
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:12 pm

Nah, thinking he's got what has worked for him at the crux of his post - and wanting to know if anybody else is simpatico with that approach.

Funny thing that works for me, anyway, is putting something (game) in their gob that's simply too big for them to "commit" hardmouthing on. But you also would surely know that modern-day retriever field trialers who are going to put their pup with a pro (or who are going to do the basics themselves[!]) might not even give it any bird exposure at all before it goes away at 6 months. Got one of those - latter - in one of my training groups now, and I'm pretty amazed by the "abstinence diet" of birds because the pup (6 months) hasn't yet been FF'd.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Crackered, thank you for the kind words. He is a slick coated Pudelpointer that looks a lot like a GSP. I spoke with Bob Farris about the possibility of a slick coated Pudelpointer being suited to Texas weather and he was able to oblige me.

GH, I am still waiting for Kiger to drop the other shoe and tell us all what he is trying to get at. So yeah, kinda odd to me too...
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to Training