Dog Shoots Owner

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dog Shoots Owner

Postby Doc E » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Sonny Gilligan learned the hard way that an old dog actually can learn new tricks — like how to fire a shotgun from the back seat of a pickup truck.

Gilligan, of New Mexico’s Doña Ana County, was shot in the back while sitting in the front seat of his parked pickup truck during a hunting trip for jackrabbits with his three dogs — Charlie, Scooter and Cowboy — west of Las Cruces on Thursday, the El Paso Times reports.

“Charlie got his foot in the trigger of the gun and I leaned forward and he slipped off the seat and caught the trigger — and it shot,” Gilligan told the newspaper. “It was a freak accident but it’s true, that’s what happened.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the whole story, click here : https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/ ... eloved-dog

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Dog Shoots Owner

Postby blue04 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Sadly this happens a lot in duck boats and blinds. My dogs seem to have a knack for putting their (usually very muddy) feet all over my guns, even if I'm holding the gun at the time. I swear it sometimes seems like they are trying to.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Yep, set a gun on the ground, or a boat seat, a layout blind ... and a dog will be on it in a second. Plan on it and safeguard accordingly is my behavior/advise. When I get to my truck, I clear the chamber as I approach and place my gun on the hood while I get my dog kenneled up in the back.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am

Life is tough when you're dumb.

I never have a loaded long gun in a vehicle, dog or no dog.

Kent.... Putting your gun on the hood is a great idea. If you put it somewhere else, you'll drive off and leave it. Don't ask me how I know. Heck, you might even drive over the buttstock and break it. Don't ask me how I know. It is a great excuse to buy a nice piece of English Walnut. Every dark cloud has a silver lining as they say.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Having a loaded gun in your vehicle in Canada is against the law at any time. Get caught and you're going to get a hefty fine, lose possession of your firearm, and a date in court. Likely lose hunting privileges for up to five years,,,,maybe more. Same thing for shooting game out of or standing in the box of your truck. Even so, I can't tell you how many times I've seen trucks driving off in the distance with a rifle barrel out the window deer hunting. They eventually see you, pull the rifle into the vehicle, you pass them, and when they think you've stopped looking put it out the window again. They're not even that far away but you see it it in your rear view mirror. Idiots!
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion