Dog Shoots Owner

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dog Shoots Owner

Postby Doc E » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Sonny Gilligan learned the hard way that an old dog actually can learn new tricks — like how to fire a shotgun from the back seat of a pickup truck.

Gilligan, of New Mexico’s Doña Ana County, was shot in the back while sitting in the front seat of his parked pickup truck during a hunting trip for jackrabbits with his three dogs — Charlie, Scooter and Cowboy — west of Las Cruces on Thursday, the El Paso Times reports.

“Charlie got his foot in the trigger of the gun and I leaned forward and he slipped off the seat and caught the trigger — and it shot,” Gilligan told the newspaper. “It was a freak accident but it’s true, that’s what happened.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the whole story, click here : https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/ ... eloved-dog

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Dog Shoots Owner

Postby blue04 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Sadly this happens a lot in duck boats and blinds. My dogs seem to have a knack for putting their (usually very muddy) feet all over my guns, even if I'm holding the gun at the time. I swear it sometimes seems like they are trying to.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Yep, set a gun on the ground, or a boat seat, a layout blind ... and a dog will be on it in a second. Plan on it and safeguard accordingly is my behavior/advise. When I get to my truck, I clear the chamber as I approach and place my gun on the hood while I get my dog kenneled up in the back.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am

Life is tough when you're dumb.

I never have a loaded long gun in a vehicle, dog or no dog.

Kent.... Putting your gun on the hood is a great idea. If you put it somewhere else, you'll drive off and leave it. Don't ask me how I know. Heck, you might even drive over the buttstock and break it. Don't ask me how I know. It is a great excuse to buy a nice piece of English Walnut. Every dark cloud has a silver lining as they say.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion