Dr. Tims changed food formula- digestive issues

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dr. Tims changed food formula- digestive issues

Postby flechero » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:15 am

I've been feeding Dr. TIm's Pursuit to our 4yo PP for 3.5 years now, and it has been perfect until recently... the last 2 bags I received were of new packaging and a smaller kibble size. Immediately the dog started having tremendous gas. Such volume that it was a solid 5-7 seconds of hissing, every few minutes for a few hours after eating. And stool has became soft, after the first day on the "new food."

No changes in environment, activity, household, family or anything else I would attribute to a change in the digestive tract.

So a 2 part question for the group- Anyone else notice this or have issues? And is there an alternative food that would be similar to Dr. Tim's that I can switch to?

Thanks!!
flechero
Started
Started

Re: Dr. Tims changed food formula- digestive issues

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:23 am

I believe Duckdog17 had similar issues.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dmog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 pm

I experienced similar issue on Dr. Tim's Pursuit but it was not recently. I loved how my Griff did on it up until the gas issues and also had re-occurring anal gland issues. I don't think there was any changes in the Dr. Tim's but we had moved from CA back to KS and I attributed it to that. I switched to Pro Plan Sport 30/20 with no issues for about a little over a year now. New PP pup was on Pro-plan puppy and with transition her to the Pro-Plan Sport 30/20 in time.
Mog: Half man, half woolly dog.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:33 pm

I switched back to Dr. Tim's pursuit (from Victor Hi-Pro Plus) about 8 months ago and haven't noticed any changes in the dog. Did they actually change the formula? I did notice a change in kibble size...actually I think I had one bag with larger kibble mixed in with the other bags that were smaller kibble.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flechero » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:37 am

I guess the other possibility is that the reduced kibble size is causing the gas... maybe because she eats so much of it without chewing and swallows a lot of air. ?? I can't figure a reason for the change in stool firmness, unless the gas causes it to be "light and airy!" ...lol
flechero
Started
Started

Postby flechero » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Just found out that one of the local feed stores is a Victor full line retailer so I'm going to make a food switch and see if her issues subside.
flechero
Started
Started

Postby Doc E » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:02 pm

I've been very happy with Victor professional. It'd 26/18 and it's as good as any 30/20 that I've ever fed.
We get ours from Chewy.com

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 pm

Doc E wrote:I've been very happy with Victor professional. It'd 26/18 and it's as good as any 30/20 that I've ever fed.
We get ours from Chewy.com

Do you have to feed a little more of It since it has a little less fat and protein? I assume that would be the case. Why Victor over PPP?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bwjohn » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:05 pm

i have been using Victor for a year or so and very happy with it.

Our local feed store has it, they let me order in bulk and give me a little discount. Victor does not do direct shipping or have any loyalty/breeder rewards program.

brandon
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:10 am

I used to feed Dr. Tim's, but switched to Inukshuk 30/25 a couple of years ago. As I recall, Dr. Tim's had good customer service. Have you spoken with them about the issues?
Inukshuk 30/25 is working fantastic for me and my friend that breeds Labs. I purchase it by the pallet.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion