How to get started?

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

How to get started?

Postby Queso » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm waiting to take possession of my 2nd Brittany in a few weeks but I'm afraid I never hunted the first one. I figured there were just not enough wild birds around to make it worth the effort to train her. I also was spending all my field time in a tree stand.
Well I'm a lot older and it's a lot colder in a tree than it used to be so I hope to involve my new dog in the sports.at some level. For starters I would just like to find something to watch. I can't seem to find anything here in Massachusetts. No NAVHDA chapters here and I cant seem to find anything AKC related activities either. I'm motivated, can travel and money is not the challenge it used to be.
I would be truly grateful for a push in the right direction and any advise you folks could offer. Thanks for your time.
John H
Queso
Pup
Pup

Re: How to get started?

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:12 am

Where in MA are you? A few chapters a short drive to Maine or in CT, even Eastern NY that could be a great resource.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:26 am

Send an email or call all the chapters in the general area. I know of one chapter here that holds, at various times for various reasons, training days at locations that are 2 or 3 hours drive apart from one another, and I think that's pretty normal.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:44 am

http://www.cnebc.org/upcoming-events-ne ... sults.html

That's the local Brittany club in Mass. You can go on the American Brittany club and find information. More than any other Breed except maybe the DD's, the Brittany folk seem well organized and active putting on tests and whatnot.

Just keep an open mind. Going in with an attitude of "I don't like show people" or "I don't want a AA trial dog" or "I don't want to trial" isn't going to help you.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to NAVHDA