Big plans for hunting season?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Big plans for hunting season?

Postby jlw034 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:36 pm

It's getting to the point of summer where I'm really itching to get back to hunting. Looking at the calendar, dreaming of crisp mornings, pre-dawn light, birds flushing at the golden hour. It's getting to me.

What are your big plans for this season? Goals? Trips?

I hope to hit my usual spots in MN, SD, ND and Canada. And I'd also like to do one special trip. Last year it was divers on the Chesapeake Bay. Not sure what this year will be. The Sandhills of Nebraska for sharptails? Kansas for quail? Montana for huns? Idaho for chukar? So many options, but there such adventure to be had!

A guy puts all these hours into training a dog, and he kinda wants to get the most out of it!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Big plans for hunting season?

Postby Smilin Jack » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Go back to the Chesapeake and try Body Booting on the Flats out of Harve DeGrace
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:05 pm

I have been working out 6 mornings a week for the last 1.5 months and will continue on through the summer. Bought a new Triax bow and am shooting daily. I have an archery elk hunt in NM in Sept and I use my excitement to drive me to workout when I would rather not.

Spud and I will hunt our normal agenda of Doves, Waterfowl, Quail and Pheasants in Mo, Ks and Ia. Going to make a couple of 2 day trips this summer to explore some new public areas in IA. I put together a double decker trailer which operates on a winch to lower the top deck to the water level and load/unload the top boat. Have Four Rivers and a MoMarsh layout boats with longtails on both. Hoping our Marshes have water this year and my Brother and I can get some fast action in Teal Season and Ia ducks in October.

I will hunt Sharptails, Prairie Chickens, Pheasants and maybe some waterfowl in SD.

MT, WY, NE are possibilities. Hoping to make a make a trip to Oregon and get into some new species.

Whitetails here are home Sept - Dec according to weather and how easy or not the buck tags get filled. The wife and I have been assembling quadpod and ladder tree stands and we be putting 7 more of them up through the summer. Also have a goal to assemble a couple of the haybale blinds and deploy here at home.

Will be spraying the corn and putting up a hot wire starting next week. If it ever gets cooler with rain I will high clip the clover plots. Bean look good for the moment but desperately need rain.

Yea I am excited too!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Smilin Jack wrote:Go back to the Chesapeake and try Body Booting on the Flats out of Harve DeGrace

That's exactly what we did! Never seen bluebills lock up so hard!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Bodybooting... the crack cocaine of waterfowl hunting...
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:22 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I have been working out 6 mornings a week for the last 1.5 months and will continue on through the summer. Bought a new Triax bow and am shooting daily. I have an archery elk hunt in NM in Sept and I use my excitement to drive me to workout when I would rather not.

Spud and I will hunt our normal agenda of Doves, Waterfowl, Quail and Pheasants in Mo, Ks and Ia. Going to make a couple of 2 day trips this summer to explore some new public areas in IA. I put together a double decker trailer which operates on a winch to lower the top deck to the water level and load/unload the top boat. Have Four Rivers and a MoMarsh layout boats with longtails on both. Hoping our Marshes have water this year and my Brother and I can get some fast action in Teal Season and Ia ducks in October.

I will hunt Sharptails, Prairie Chickens, Pheasants and maybe some waterfowl in SD.

MT, WY, NE are possibilities. Hoping to make a make a trip to Oregon and get into some new species.

Whitetails here are home Sept - Dec according to weather and how easy or not the buck tags get filled. The wife and I have been assembling quadpod and ladder tree stands and we be putting 7 more of them up through the summer. Also have a goal to assemble a couple of the haybale blinds and deploy here at home.

Will be spraying the corn and putting up a hot wire starting next week. If it ever gets cooler with rain I will high clip the clover plots. Bean look good for the moment but desperately need rain.

Yea I am excited too!

Sounds like you're going to be a busy man. I tested the Triax, that was one sweet bow!

Post up pics of that trailer sometime, sounds like some cool engineering.

For being born and raised in IA, I've never really hunted it that much. Maybe that will have to change this year.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:22 pm

3drahthaars wrote:Bodybooting... the crack cocaine of waterfowl hunting...

LOL, standing behind those Johnny geese, I'm like no way this works.

Then birds started dropping fast!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:21 pm

It cracks me up that technical it’s not even summer yet and your already to the point of summer where you are jonesing for hunting season.

I definitely know where are are coming from though! Especially this year, because it will be my first season with the pup.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby jlw034 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Sooty42 wrote:It cracks me up that technical it’s not even summer yet and your already to the point of summer where you are jonesing for hunting season.

I definitely know where are are coming from though! Especially this year, because it will be my first season with the pup.

Ha! I know. I guess since Turkey and snow goose season is over, I feel deprived!

Spoiled rotten may also be an adequate description.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am

3drahthaars wrote:Bodybooting... the crack cocaine of waterfowl hunting...

Sounds like a curtain blind...Looks like all sorts of fun.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 am

Sharptails and prairie chickens in Nebraska when the season opens in September; if the weather cooperates, waterfowl and Huns in Wyoming in October; Kansas quail and pheasants in November and then waterfowl and woodcock back home in Louisiana. Hope you and the dog(s) make memories this year.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ForestDump » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:11 am

Want to hop over to Idaho for sage grouse and sharpies hopefully I can also get lucky and pull an Oregon sage grouse tag.
ForestDump
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Spindog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 am

First real season with the new guy. We plan to spend a lot of time in the woods. Heavy cover to keep him under better control. Maybe add a camping trip west to Montana or Northern MN. Saving 3 weeks of vacation for October. Lots of extended weekends in the Northwoods. I have not hunted a season with only one dog for over 12 years. This should be an exciting season. :multi:
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:57 pm

My season will start on August 30th with forest grouse. In three weeks, I will get my Sage Grouse. I dont know if i will go to Wyoming or stay in Idaho for then focus will turn to chukar, huns and quail for a few weeks. Early October will dind me chasing pheasants in Oregon. Then it is hunting like crazy for the next few months.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:44 pm

So this was a terrible idea. You guys got me even more excited!

Someday I'll chase chukar. I really want one of those pictures with my dog on point and a giant ravine and river behind her.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion