Manual Bird Launcher

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Manual Bird Launcher

Postby modocgsp » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 am

I'm looking at purchasing a manual bird launcher and am looking for some feedback. The only two brands I am currently seeing are Scotts and DT Systems. Has anyone used these or are there any others out there that people would recommend. I will primarily be using pigeons and quail for training. Thanks in advance for your input.

Joe
modocgsp
Seasoned
Seasoned
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:21 am
Location: N.E. California

Re: Manual Bird Launcher

Postby Densa44 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:55 pm

I don't know anything about the different brands, just a point, make sure that it is big enough for the birds you use. If you put a pheasant in one for a pigeon the pheasant will suffocate.

You need to tie a long rope on the lever to release the bird and when your dog is pointing, you are looking in the long grass for the end of the string.

What I use; because it works and is easy is a small water bottle with just enough water in it so the bird can fly a short distance. They when she points the bird, I flush it and fire my $1.00 store cap pistol, the bird flutters to the ground and I make sure the dog doesn't move.

It works for me.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
User avatar
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: Manual Bird Launcher

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:42 pm

I bought a manual DT launcher late this winter, I haven't launched a bird yet. I did tie about 20' of line to it and launched it around my pup to see if it bothered him, he was ok with it. sorry I can't help you more. wish I could afford 2 remote launchers , but I think the manual will work ok. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Manual Bird Launcher

Postby blue04 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:17 pm

I had two manual Scotts launchers for one season. Then I sold them and bought two lightly used DT remote launchers. The manual launchers work great, if you don't mind dealing with the cords. I train alone a lot, and I found that trying to handle a young dog, deal with a check cord, and find and pull the string on the manual launchers was too much. Yes, the remote launchers are A LOT more expensive, but for me it was worth it. If you train with a partner all the time, the manual ones will likely be fine.

BTW: I also used my remote launchers for stop to flush training, which started with the dog on leash. I don't think it would have even been doable trying to find and pull the string on manual launchers (while training alone). This training requires proper timing, and remote launchers gave me a lot more flexibility and control.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Manual Bird Launcher

Postby Higgins » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 am

I have a bunch of the Scotts launchers new in the boxes. Contact me if interested.

Brad Higgins
Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette:

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Higgins
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Manual Bird Launcher

Postby jlw034 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:14 pm

I know they are pricey, but remote launchers are greatly superior to manual launchers.

Scour eBay and Craigslist. I have three, the most I payed was 180. Dt brand.
User avatar
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 am
Location: Moneysota

Re: Manual Bird Launcher

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:19 pm

You can easily make your own out of chain link. Make it in the shape of a "tunnel" about 10" wide and a foot long. Tie a cord to it and just flip it over to launch. We used to weight them with some pieces of lead or lead pike so birds couldn't tip them. Good for quail to pheasant.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
User avatar
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: Manual Bird Launcher

Postby blue04 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:47 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:You can easily make your own out of chain link. Make it in the shape of a "tunnel" about 10" wide and a foot long. Tie a cord to it and just flip it over to launch. We used to weight them with some pieces of lead or lead pike so birds couldn't tip them. Good for quail to pheasant.


Careful here. If you're working with pen raised quail (and some chukar), yanking the tunnel off as GONEHUNTIN describes may not make them fly. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that a fair number of them will just sit still and hunker down. Pheasants are much more likely to flush, but might also just take off running. It all depends on how healthy and wild your pen raised birds are.

For comparison, my DT launchers will fling a quail up to 15 feet straight up. I've never had a quail coming out of one of my launchers fly less than 100 yards. That initial launch gives even weak flyers a kick in the pants and a big head start toward flying far away. And trust me, you want them to fly far away.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Manual Bird Launcher

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:05 pm

blue04 wrote:
GONEHUNTIN' wrote:You can easily make your own out of chain link. Make it in the shape of a "tunnel" about 10" wide and a foot long. Tie a cord to it and just flip it over to launch. We used to weight them with some pieces of lead or lead pike so birds couldn't tip them. Good for quail to pheasant.


Careful here. If you're working with pen raised quail (and some chukar), yanking the tunnel off as GONEHUNTIN describes may not make them fly. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that a fair number of them will just sit still and hunker down. Pheasants are much more likely to flush, but might also just take off running. It all depends on how healthy and wild your pen raised birds are.

For comparison, my DT launchers will fling a quail up to 15 feet straight up. I've never had a quail coming out of one of my launchers fly less than 100 yards. That initial launch gives even weak flyers a kick in the pants and a big head start toward flying far away. And trust me, you want them to fly far away.


Sure don't disagree with that, electronic's are what I use. However the poster asked about manual launcher's and my experience is, when you jerk the cage off them, they get out of Dodge. As you know, even with an electronic launch, the birds will occasionally sit back down. Just giving him a cheap solution.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
User avatar
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: Manual Bird Launcher

Postby Higgins » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Higgins wrote:I have a bunch of the Scotts launchers new in the boxes. Contact me if interested.

Brad Higgins

I still have 8 left. Anyone else interested, let me know.


Higgins
Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette:

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Higgins
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Nevada


Return to Training

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests