Dogs in Germany

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dogs in Germany

Postby BOWXING131 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:20 am

I've been following the forum for quite some time and finally decided to join and share a recent experience. I recently traveled to Germany and had a chance to hunt with some amazing dogs. A good friend and fellow hunter took me out with some friends and had an absolute blast. The level of training in these dogs was incredible, and the obedience on point. I had the chance to hunt over PP's, DD's, DK's and even versatile Gordon setters. I'm in the market for my first hunting dog and am leaning towards importing a fully trained dog.

After speaking with breeders and trainers here, when I added up all the costs from puppy to starting/finishing a dog with a pro trainer, the price of getting a dog along with import costs is almost the same if not cheaper imo. I'm not knocking anyone selling trained dogs for 6-10k or arguing their worth, but for my situation (no experience training a hunting dog) it appears to be more economical to bring one over. Anyone ever import a dog from overseas? Advice/opinions would be appreciated.
BOWXING131
Pup
Pup

Re: Dogs in Germany

Postby Stretch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:16 pm

I just got my first bird bird and have never trained one. I will say it’s been a lot of fun and wouldn’t ever buy a trained dog after the fun I’ve had with my Griff.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby carramrod » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:43 pm

Make sure you know some German or the dog knows English, or have Google translate ready.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 am

What Carramrod said....

Think of all the good times you miss not having a puppy around They're a hoot like what Stretch said. Get a good Griff, take 'em hunting and teach a solid fetch. Pretty simple.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 am

Hunting next to a good trained dog is indeed a great experience.

but... (and this is my very personal opinion) nothing comes closer to the joy and excitement of raising and training a puppy. Yes, there are going to be some mistakes done, but at the end of the day you will have a partner who you understand, know and feel... and vise versa.

My brother and I started hunting and training dogs alone. We had no one around as to teach how to hunt and what is an upland dog. We figured out everything through books.
There are tons of good books you can find and learn.

If you are in Germany, they have got a tons of good books specif to a breed or breed category.

Lastly, it's not a rocket science. 90% is already installed in a puppy you just have to learn to how to re-channel those instincts in a right way.

Good luck.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:29 pm

What do you plan to hunt with your dog?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Precisely, what do you plan to hunt?

Obedience on point... not sure of what you mean. I've a pup, not broken or steadied that holds point 200 yards away and a 15 minute hike through thick cane... no obedience... pure point.

That said, a really good hunting dog is a really good hunting dog. But, I think most breeders in Europe actually hunt. And, my feeling is a lot of breeders in the US hunt marginally and some very little saving their brood bitches for just that.

Test scores are 2 to 5 days of a dogs life. Hunting should be 50% of a dog's life give/take. I'd go with the guy/breeder that hunts several times a week (the same thing you do).

A pup can be taught to stand to game and still get a 10 in point... a dog can point game naturally and not have a "difficult situation" and still get a 10...

Caveat emptor....

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion