Temperment

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Temperment

Postby MHH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:55 pm

I saw a 6 month old GSP this weekend. I was impressed with his easy going attitude, as I have been when around most the German dogs. I will very likley be going back to a GSP when my present hunting buddy, a black male Lab, is a little older.

I say go back becasue had a GSP several years ago. As I wrote that I realized it has been 20 years.

Have the dogs changed? I did a lot of research and talking to breeders before I decided on the kennel and the breeding to get my GSP from. And temperment was high on my list of priorities. He was not like the dogs I have observed in the last couple of years. He was fairly hyper around the house until he was 2, and even then he could be a nuisance.

Have others observed a change in general? I like it a lot, just wondering if breeders have seen that this is important for most guys who like having the dog around the house.

Thanks,

Mike
MHH
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Temperment

Postby Duckdon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:12 pm

I currently have 5 Drahthaars and all 5 have a switch. Quiet in the house and moving when we are outdoors. They also have obedience, so maybe on begets the other.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 pm

This isn't a breed thing. The breeder is far more important as are recommendations from those in the know. Some GSP's you can live with, some you can't. Same with GWP's or anything else out there. Always be skeptical of breeder claims, trust the recommendations first.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntindog1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:03 am

I have. Noticed a big change in the last 30 years. Plus a lot depends on the blood lines and breeder you choose. Do your home work and go see the parents work. Check out sharpshooter GSP I have one.
huntindog1
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 am

Do your homework. The GSP is a very popular breed with large variation between distinct lines of dogs within it. It is easy to find a very nice one, with your own personal observations of the dogs being the very best source of information. If an adult dog cannot be calm while staked out at a training day it will likely not be calm in the house either. Seeing a dog be calm when not working and then turning it on big when cut loose is the ideal. DuckDon's comment about OB rings true for me and my pup. At 2 years old his off switch works best when he is tired from exercise, but he will also be as calm or obnoxious in the house as I let him be before I make and enforce a command (usually Down), so I also think OB training has a critical component influence on the dog's behavior, as well as genetics.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Nothing has changed. A dog will still do everything you let them get away with. :)
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:49 am

Keep in mind that GSP's, arguably more than any other breed, vary extremely widely. You can have a 40 lb field trial pocket rocket or an 80 lb DK bred for forest work. Temperament, etc, are also going to vary accordingly, as do coats and body structure.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:43 pm

My opinion is it is a dual function of breeding and obedience/exposure. Breeders generally breed for what suits them. Pick from a line that suits you. There are big time differences. Rules of conduct for individuals within a liter will shape them differently, but:
-Dogs from lines that you can see boiling just below the surface 24/7 will always struggle to contain themselves.
-I can't put enough go in the lazy sluggish dogs to suit me.
-That balanced mix of calm intelligence and fire that some breeders capture in their lines are attributes I especially like and look for.
You can't run from genetics so do your homework.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Temperament....

Aggression,

the Switch...

With regard to the switch, I've seen GSPs that don't have it. Whiney, cannot settle down... it's consistent and in the lines... toooo much go, go, go.

You need to see parents and parents' siblings.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby BFstl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Take a look at the Braque Francais, a french pointer with a calmer temperament (in general) than the GSP. They look just like the GSP but smaller (people assume mine is a GSP). They are a little softer than the GSP and don't take well to a heavy hand, but they are eager to please. Great in the Field, Great in house, and great family dogs. I had a Brittany before, he passed away 2 years ago, he was not calm in the house until he was 10 years old. So far the Braque has been as advertised.

http://www.uniquegundogs.com
BFstl
Pup
Pup

Postby KJ » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:39 am

A high percentage of GSPs are above average hunting dogs, probably much more so than the other versatile breeds. I have seen several that I would be proud to hunt over, and I don't say that about many dogs.

But as a breed, they do tend to lack the "off switch" around the house. Many just have trouble calming down. They pace, whine, don't really care if they are petted, etc.

Now I have also seen some GSPs that are great family dogs, but these tend to be the exception. My uncle has owned Shooting Starr dogs for a long time, and those dogs that had great temperaments. I know there are other lines that also have great temperaments out there, but this is one breed that I wouldn't take the breeder's word for it regarding the "off switch". I would go see them in person.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 am

The one complaint I hear over and over about GSP's is, no off switch.

If there is one piece of advice I can off that may make sense, this is it. Don't get so hung up on breed that you end up getting the wrong dog. We've got an assortment to pick from so give it some serious thought. If temperament is you biggest concern, you might look into Griffon's or Wirehairs.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby BFstl » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:55 am

KJ wrote: I know there are other lines that also have great temperaments out there, but this is one breed that I wouldn't take the breeder's word for it regarding the "off switch". I would go see them in person.

I agree, ideally you should go see the parents of any breed if you are worried about temperament.
BFstl
Pup
Pup

Postby huntindog1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:28 pm

I did my home work, on the GSP's I have now.

I have had English Pointers, English Setters, Ryman Setters, Old Hemlock Setters, Llewellyn Setters, Brittanies.

Now it maybe that I spent alot of money and got some really good blood Lines. Or may just be lucky. :D

My German Shorthairs I have now are the smartest dogs I have every had in my life. Had the most Natural Hunting ability I have ever seen.
Just take them hunting is all I have had to do.

They have amazing Off Switches. In the house they are cool calm and Collected. In the Bird Field Hard hunting Medium to Close Range hunters with lots of enthusiasm to hunt.

My Brittany I had was a really good dog also.
huntindog1
Started
Started

Postby BFstl » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:49 am

huntindog1 wrote:I did my home work, on the GSP's I have now.

I have had English Pointers, English Setters, Ryman Setters, Old Hemlock Setters, Llewellyn Setters, Brittanies.

Now it maybe that I spent alot of money and got some really good blood Lines. Or may just be lucky. :D

My German Shorthairs I have now are the smartest dogs I have every had in my life. Had the most Natural Hunting ability I have ever seen.
Just take them hunting is all I have had to do.

They have amazing Off Switches. In the house they are cool calm and Collected. In the Bird Field Hard hunting Medium to Close Range hunters with lots of enthusiasm to hunt.

My Brittany I had was a really good dog also.

I agree 100% with your comment on spending $ on the best blood line you can find, the price of the dog is small compared to the amount of money you will spend throughout the dogs life. Whatever breed you select, a top blood line will give you a better chance of having a great hunting dog. It will also save you a lot of $ when the dog is older in vet bills if the blood line shows no health problems.
BFstl
Pup
Pup

Return to General Discussion