Dog food

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dog food

Postby Stretch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:29 am

I was feeding the purple bag of Purina pro plan and switched to Victor hi pro and I’m not that satisfied with either. Was just wondering what some other people was feeding and was having success with.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Dog food

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:39 am

I feed victor so am interested in what you didn't like on it? Always looking for a better feed
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:52 am

Dog foods were always a challenge for me too. Dog eventually became very food sensitive and had to be put on medication just so she could eat. Never did find out what ingredient was causing the problem. Could have been the dog and not the food???

Don't know what your specific complaint is but I'll give some basic advice.

Don't feed foods that contain any form of vegetable oil to increase the fat content. Animal fat only.

Look for foods that supply all the necessary nutrition without adding grains as a filler. This will reduce the bulk and make digestion easier.

Rotate the protein source to see if one suits your dog better than another.

Supplement with plain yogurt.

Monitor your dog's weight till you get the right amount to feed figured out.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby booger » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:21 am

I feed both and like both. What issues are you having?
booger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Stretch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:32 am

My biggest complaint is he will have a solid stool then three or or four squirts behind it. I also have a friend feeding the same stuff to his female that is bred and she has lost a lot of weight even with double and triple feeding her. I’m feeding my running hounds showtime feed at half the cost and less protein and fat and they look better than my Griff. So I’m at a lose of what to feed and if what it says on the bag really means anything.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby booger » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:49 am

Interesting.

I switched to Victor Hi Pro Plus and a mix of American Journey Salmon/sweet potato to mostly keep from gaining weight from PPP. After hunting season my dog started packing on the pounds, so I switched.

I haven't had stool problems with either, except when I didn't provide enough water, which led to constipation.

Even with PPP my dog lost a good bit of weight during the season. I attribute it to shaking the entire time out duck hunting as we didn't do a ton of upland hunting. I was feeding her a good bit too.

Any chance the squirts are just while hunting?
booger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:19 pm

It's common for dogs to get the squirts during exercise. It's their bodies way of eliminating extra weight that serves no purpose.

What time of day do you feed the dog?
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Stretch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Feed morning and evening and he has the same stool all the time.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby booger » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 pm

If it were me I'd call my vet to get their opinion. I'd be tempted to switch to what you're feeding the hounds. If the same problem persists, maybe it is the dog (allergies, food sensitive, infection)?
booger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:00 pm

How big is the morning meal? It should be no more than about maybe 15% of the total in any given day. If the dog is young and still growing, the morning meal can be a little larger but not much. Most feed only once a day as no one wants food in their dog's gut while exercising. The evening meal should be early enough so the dog is ready for a dump fairly early the next morning. Don't want the dog going to bed with a stomach full of food either and ending up with bloat. Having a lot of food in the gut during exercise might cause it too? Griffs do get bloat.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Stretch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:14 pm

Feed prolly half to full cup in morning at 6:30 and 2-3 cups in evening around 7-8. Only feed in the morning when not hunting or training.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Diamond extreme athlete was recommended to me. I fed it for 6-7 months but switched back to Purina Death Nuggets (what a raw feeding nutjob referred to them as.)
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:44 pm

I'd feed the evening meal much earlier, like 5:00.

I dunno if it makes much difference but 1/2 to full cup and 2-3 cups isn't consistent. Neither is 7-8. Dogs need consistency.

You can vary the caloric content by adjusting the mixture if you blend a high powered performance food with a maintenance. I like feeding the same size meal every feeding and vary the calories based on exercise level.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Stretch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:08 pm

I would start feeding him raw deer meat if he wouldn’t stink me clear out of the house.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:09 pm

RAW Diet is by far the best! Beyond that, I've been very happy with Inukshuk 30/25.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion