Pudelpointer Breeders Not On Nappa Breeders List

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pudelpointer Breeders Not On Nappa Breeders List

Postby CZfan107 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:16 pm

I am looking to get on a Pudelpointer List.After Researching Breeders for 2 weeks . Just a little confusing on good Breeders i know about Nappa breeders list and Watch out for Puppy Mills! But i been seeing some breeders that ask or almost request on NAVHDA Test But they are not on Nappa Recommended Breeders. Some have very good reviews & following on Face Book and on line reviews? Is Getting a Pudelpointer hunting Dog from a non Nappa recommended breeder a problem ?
CZfan107
Started
Started

Re: Pudelpointer Breeders Not On Nappa Breeders List

Postby Deacon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:48 pm

I am probably going to step on a landmine, but here are my thoughts...

By way of background, I have had multiple PP's, all from Cedarwoods so all obviously Alliance dogs although a few predated the Alliance. I don't do Facebook so I really don't know what is out there beyond NAPPA and the small circle of breeders I keep in touch with there.

Are these breeders you speak of meeting the minimal NAPPA requirements themselves or only placing demands upon the puppy buyer? The NAPPA requirements are a pretty low hurdle to overcome. If a breeder can't meet them I would absolutely look elsewhere. To me, breeding untested stock would show a complete lack of respect for what has made the breed what it is today. If they do meet them, then I MIGHT be interested in a conversation with them.

Buy a dog from somebody who has higher expectations for his dogs than you do for yours and you will likely be happy, regardless of the breed.
Deacon
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Kirby » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Facebook is not a suitable site for feed back on dog quality. Scores and tests are. NAPPA just eliminates your need to go back and chase each dogs pedigree (you still can!) it just gives you confidence the dogs are tested, working and of a bare minimum caliber.

Everybody who gets a dog from a kennel will rave about it, without calibration against a standard you'll have no idea if those people have any clue what they are talking about. Anyone who goes on a facebook site and complains... likely gets deleted.
Kirby
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Charli » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:13 pm

There're several exceptional breeders outside of NAPPA that follow the breed standards and even work with alliance breeders but never overlook a pedigree. Look for depth and a kennels commitment to testing in addition to test scores. Building a strong relationship with a reputable breeder will present opportunities in your search. Good luck!
Charli
Pup
Pup

Postby Meridiandave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 am

I guess the question is why? Were you not able get on a NAPPA list?
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 am

I guess the question is why? Were you not able get on a NAPPA list?
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CZfan107 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:43 pm

I Really wanted a Pudelpointer Pup from Bob Farris Cedarwoods but bob is semi retired not taking a list for next spring and i was willing to wait for when he had one . Will be getting on a least three breeders list for then. I have found a couple that look real good but not on NAPPA though they want their dogs NAVHDA tested ( was going to do that anyway) just little confusing . Some have NAVHDA Breeders Awards and not on NAPPA breeder list! Just want a Proven Hunting stock Pudelpointer Bloodline thats Healthy .
CZfan107
Started
Started

Postby bwjohn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 pm

by picking pudelpointers you stepped into it.

there are several groups in the US vying for the top spot/group/registry/alliance/breed group, what ever you want to call it.

With Pudelpointers, I think you have a really high chance of the dog being at least a very adequate hunter, no matter which group or person you get it from. With a few caveats. Overall the breed is still very much dominated by working dogs or not very far from it at all.

You could skip all of the different groups in the US and just import a dog from the source, a dog from the German Registry. If that interests you at all, contact me via pm and I will give a contact that could get you started in the right direction.

brandon
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Here's my take on it:

There is NAPPA. I am a NAPPA member. The group of breeders must follow their breeding requirements.

There is the VPP-GNA. I am a member. The group of breeders must follow their breeding requirements. This group may only have less than 5 litters the whole year. It is a small, but growing group.

There is PCNA. I am not a member. Some of the VPP-GNA members are also members of the PCNA. This group seems to have very few litters. Their required testing only occurs in CA or OR. That can be challenging for most.

CAPA no longer exists!

There are breeders that are not affiliated with any group. Some of them are very dedicated breeders. Some of them are interested in money.

Then there are the puppy mills! BEWARE!!! I'd gladly tell you who. I'd gladly tell you in an open forum, but it might get me kicked off.
Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CZfan107 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Calvinator wrote:Here's my take on it:

There is NAPPA. I am a NAPPA member. The group of breeders must follow their breeding requirements.

There is the VPP-GNA. I am a member. The group of breeders must follow their breeding requirements. This group may only have less than 5 litters the whole year. It is a small, but growing group.

There is PCNA. I am not a member. Some of the VPP-GNA members are also members of the PCNA. This group seems to have very few litters. Their required testing only occurs in CA or OR. That can be challenging for most.

CAPA no longer exists!

There are breeders that are not affiliated with any group. Some of them are very dedicated breeders. Some of them are interested in money.

Then there are the puppy mills! BEWARE!!! I'd gladly tell you who. I'd gladly tell you in an open forum, but it might get me kicked off.
Calvin

Yes I Would appreciate if you can send me a PM on list of Breeders you would NOT recommend ? Thanks in advance !
CZfan107
Started
Started

Postby Calvinator » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:22 am

Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:19 am

If you really want a dog from Bob, keep checking in with him. Bob gets 5 to 10 calls a day from people interested in his dogs. I dont mean call five times a week, but check in with him every few months.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CZfan107 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:27 am

I called Bob last month He said don't think i will be breeding next year semi retired now! He said i want to enjoy my golden years cant argue with that . Maybe he will just breed locally or pickup ?
CZfan107
Started
Started

Postby cwfrank623 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:54 am

bwjohn wrote:by picking pudelpointers you stepped into it.

there are several groups in the US vying for the top spot/group/registry/alliance/breed group, what ever you want to call it.

With Pudelpointers, I think you have a really high chance of the dog being at least a very adequate hunter, no matter which group or person you get it from. With a few caveats. Overall the breed is still very much dominated by working dogs or not very far from it at all.

You could skip all of the different groups in the US and just import a dog from the source, a dog from the German Registry. If that interests you at all, contact me via pm and I will give a contact that could get you started in the right direction.

brandon

I would love my information about this. Can you private message me about this?
cwfrank623
Pup
Pup

Postby Charli » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:22 am

Overall the breed is still very much dominated by working dogs or not very far from it at all.

brandon[/quote]

Please expound on the definition of "working dog" in the context of the PP. Are you referring to the lineage of imported lines or a current application?
Charli
Pup
Pup

Next

Return to Pointers