Final weekend of dove season.

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Final weekend of dove season.

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Headed out with Otto to shoot the last few doves of the season. Our day started like this.
Kinda hard to tell but we are west of a place called Picacho Peak the western most battle of the civil war was fought near here.
Didn't take to many pics. I got what I call the golden BB Award shot a eurasian dove out of the air at close to 100 yards. I took 3 rounds of #2 hevi metals and pattern master code black goose but it fell. A 3 dollar dove i wonder if it will taste better. I did forget my other chokes so some of the doves were blown to a frazzle and not work keeping I did count them toward my limit. Finished up the doves and lots of things in season so we took a walk down some sunflowers next to a canal. Otto went on point over by the canal looking down at bare dirt next to the edge. Curious I walked over and one of the 2 mallard hens flushed into my face. Easy one timer Otto quick swim and climb duck in hand. Looking like a good day.
So one thing I really enjoy is spot and stalk hunting ducks. Just like elk or deer but more eyes and 10 times more skittish. Spotted a small mixed flock on the edge of an alfalfa field about a half mile away maybe 30 ducks. Drove to about a quarter mile and half bust out. Low walked down the far edge of the road till about 200 yards low crawled across the road and down along one of the furrows in the field time got to within 30 yards and popped shot 2 big fat mallard drakes. Sent Otto for the retrieve es across a small canal with water in it. First Mallard was a tank the biggest one I have ever seen. But something happened to the second one when Otto gave it to me it turned into the fattest Wigeon hen I ever shot. I heard of ground shrinkage but never a species change being near color blind makes it tough. Picked up another mallard hen on a long stalk down a canal bank. Flushed 20 birds but all hens so I took one and called it a day. Otto kicked up a cotton tail heading back to the truck a short chase and it sounded like he fetched up my FoxPro. Here is the hero shot after a little swim in the farm pond.
That is one bull of a mallard there is a spot for him on the wall.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Final weekend of dove season.

Postby idunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Sounds like a real fun day to me. Dog looks satisfied too
idunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Otto needs to cheer up.

Nice bag.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:25 pm

orhunter wrote:Otto needs to cheer up.

Nice bag.

But he is really going to miss dove season.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:44 am

that's what I'm talking about!! nice,,,,and I like Otto - he has gumption!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 am

Great mixed bag LH. Way to go Otto! (I don't think i'll ever get used to the size of those eurasians).
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:52 am

mtlhdr wrote:Great mixed bag LH. Way to go Otto! (I don't think i'll ever get used to the size of those eurasians).

A few years ago opening day I shot 45 eurasians and 3 mourning doves. since then I prefer the big boys at the table but mourning doves are more fun to shoot.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:44 pm

Another great day of Vdogging for you and Otto.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms