Got a few shot over the holiday.

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Got a few shot over the holiday.

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:13 am

Got a couple of duck hunts in over the holidays. First time out shot a coot and a wigeon my first of the year. Then 3 hours of empty skies I called it quits. The weather has been warm all season so I was happy with the one I got. I shoot every coot I can. Coots and sawbills make good smoked jerky treats for the dogs.
Here is one of my close spots. About a half mile walk through a salt cedar choked flood plane gets you here.

You can see Otto in the cattails. I stand in the tall ones on the left.

Otto waiting for the wigeon to move.

Finally after all my years of AZ waterfowl in I shot a limit last Friday. 2 were species I had never seen and one I had never shot. First 2 ducks were shovelers checked them of my duck bucket list. Then a pintail hen came blasting in out of the stratossphere checked that on off the list. Got a single mallard hen for number. Then a big redhead flew by at about 50 yards I took one hail Mary nothing. Then a group of 5 redheads comes by and I shot the lead bird and the far one dropped too. A true double my first with ducks. So I needed one more for a limit. A big Drake sawbill came over the trees and he dropped with one shot. Otto got to him and he bolted. This led to a 45 minute duck search. Across the river on the bank into the reeds. Those dang sawbill are tough and they dive and seem to never come up. Otto did find a dead coot that smelled so bad I thought twice about taking it from him. We were headed about a quarter mile back upriver to the blind and Otto gets all bird and takes off. Sure enough it was the redhead I thought I missed floating down the river. It put me one over on redheads but filled the limit. The bird flew out of site so I didn't feel to bad about it. If it was a lake we would have never had it drift down from where ever it died.

I let this pintail get a little to close. My pattern was a little tight like about cylinder tight
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Got a few shot over the holiday.

Postby Deacon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 am

Great pics and congrats on the new species. I hope to scratch all of the waterfowl species off my list in the coming years. I am down to only a few left.

People will never believe you but if you skin a coot it tastes exactly like a skinned duck. At least the ones here in NY do. Different regional diets may effect that.

I got out over Christmas Break with my 15 month old PP. Hard to believe she is still young enough to run the NA test. She is a hell of a lot more dog than she was when she ran it at 6 months.
gypsy cold mallard2.JPG

gypsy icy mallard.JPG
Deacon
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:27 pm

Nice work LH. Glad to hear your efforts are paying off. Enjoyed the photos, those redheads are handsome lookin' birds.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:50 pm

Nice to see your hard work paying off. Nice job on the photos as well. Expect your success will become more common now that you are getting some spots figured out.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:58 pm

Nicely done longhammer! The bitter cold to the north has pushed a lot of waterfowl into texas as well.
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms