Any books or Video recommendation? Griff pup

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Any books or Video recommendation? Griff pup

Postby SERE Nate » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Last night I put down a deposit with Broken Bow Kennels in Idaho Falls for a Griffon pup. They normally have a long waiting list, but just had someone back out and I was able to get a male from him. Pup should be ready Dec 15th, with plenty of time to get ready for the fall hunting season.
Since moving to Whitefish, I have been spending 2-3 days a week hunting waterfowl over water with some really good results.
So far I have ordered the following books. Lots of reading in my future!

How to help gun dogs train themselves. Joan Bailey
Gun Dog. Wolters
The training and care of versatile hunting dog. Winterhelt
Training the versatile hunting dog. Chuck Johnson
Dont shoot the dog. Karen Pryor
The art of raising a puppy. Monks of new skete
How to be your dogs best friend. Monks of new skete.

I am also looking at getting a Garmin Alpha 100 TT GPS unit for the pup.

Any good training videos?
SERE Nate
Pup
Pup

Re: Any books or Video recommendation? Griff pup

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Perfect Start/Perfect Finish
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:12 pm

As you and your pup work together, you may discover that most of what your read is for your entertainment and may not necessarily benefit your dog. Pro trainers have a different agenda than dog owners so take what you read with a grain of salt.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Higgins » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:12 am

There are many methods out there in regard to training gundogs. All those you mentioned are based on obedience in one way or another. I train a lot of Griffs and I use a different method. It's based on trust and cooperation. Griffs are intelligent and can be a bit softer than other breeds. They're smart dogs and do best when they learn and understand how to be successful and are given free will to make successful choices.

Here is a video I did awhile ago. It's of a young griff learning the ropes. https://youtu.be/wvaOvt9sMqs

I have many other videos available, all free at my Youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSyx48 ... j8yqdoZR3g

I hope you find them useful.
Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette:

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Higgins
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:56 am

Higgins says some good stuff.

Griffs are different, that's about it. They hate repetition. Try and force something they'll shut down. Some may label them as soft, others stubborn. They really do like to figure out things for themselves and if you give a good one the opportunity, that's exactly what they'll do. If you dive into full training regiment with a Griff, you and the dog will be disappointed. That's why I said the books are for your entertainment. Reward the dog when it does right, ignore it when it doesn't. All a Griff wants to do is hunt.

One thing you'll need to do is learn to read the dog, why did it do that? Not everything the dog does wrong is the dog's fault. Try to look at everything from the dog's point of view. They are built close to the ground and their point of view isn't that of a human, that's why they have a nose. As good as their nose is (second to none) the wind can play tricks on it. Always trust the dog but be aware things don't go right 100% of the time. Let the dog figure it out, they will if you don't interfere.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 pm

I have had my eyes opened to the power of clicker/marker/treat training for early OB and conditioning training. I encourage you to prowl around the internet/youtube and check out the many materials available there. I used it today when I introduced my young dog to a new dog blind marsh hunting platform and it went real simple and smooth.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:39 pm

orhunter wrote: If you dive into full training regiment with a Griff, you and the dog will be disappointed. That's why I said the books are for your entertainment. Reward the dog when it does right, ignore it when it doesn't. All a Griff wants to do is hunt.

I've had two griffs and my wife just ordered a new pup. I can't say enough good about the breed so I'm sure you'll be pleased. No dog is perfect but griffs come close IMO. My oldest died a couple months ago but she was tough as nails, and, at age 4 months was the youngest 112 Pz I NA of any breed, and later a Pz II utility, MH in AKC hunt tests, and the only griff ever to get the title HRCH in HRC retriever competition (and one of only six Vdogs out of 2,000 HRCH champions). So you can "dive into a full training regiment" and not be disappointed with griffs. Hell, Orhunter knew her well and even gave her the name "The Great and Powerful Oz" - not without merit I should say. Otherwise I agree with Orhunter, and AG and Higgins
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby daeion » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:00 pm

I might have missed something when I read Training the Versatile Hunting Dog by Chuck Johnson but I didn't find it helpful, I found it to be very vague and short on details.
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Training