It wasnt stellar

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

It wasnt stellar

Postby SMAbby » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 pm

But the point was to get the boat out for its first run.
We got out at about 1pm and it took awhile to find a place to set up. We had to use the boat to break ice. Max was riding on the bow and decided that he didnt like that and came back inside.
Jim got to drive the boat first as he took us down the canal to where we would set up. Chad showed us how to use the boat to break up the ice. Then they pushe dit up into some weed patches and we sat and waited.
Most all the bird can read the "Refuge" signs and would sky high us and dump into the refuge. It was ok, it was fin to watch. It was also fun to listen as you watched others shooting at the stars I suppose. The ducks would be sky high.
Chad took this time to help us identify the various ducks that buzzed us. MAN OH MAN did I want that handsome group of pintailed drakes. They would have been wall mounters for sure.
Finally we had a teal buzz in. I took a second to get up out of a lawn chair I was chilling in. But was able to get up in time to shoot. I know I tagged her once and then someone else got her.
At the time, I had Max tethered to the bow of the boat in hopes to keep him still and quiet. You have to remember this is very new to him too. So, by the time the bird fell and I unleashed him, Max had lost the mark. GRRRRRR, I sent him down anyways and tried some "Backs" on him. I dont think he was a fan of breaking ice. He hadnt experienced this before. :?
Jim ended up walking him out. Once he caught the scent he was gone and recovered the teal.
I was frustrated. I dont always put 2 and 2 together with my dogs. I expect that with all the work I do with them, that they could retrieve a bird out of some cold water. So I was very upset with Max.

There was PLENTY of room for the 3 of us and the dog. Plus gear, etc. Enough space that I am thinking about a half bench for a nap and maybe a place for a small stove to cook on.

A little later we had the shoveler come straight at up. SHe was knocked down pretty quickly. I know Chad sowed her down and I folded her. This time Max was not tethered and SHOULD have been right on the duck. But he wasnt. He got out a ways and would come back. I was so mad, but trying not to show it at this point. Each time he tried to get back in the boat, I would block his entry. I told the dude not to come back without a bird and it would be a long swim home. Max eventually complied and went out and located the duck for us.

I dont know, I am just a phez hunter, but would this just be normal behavior for a dog that has not been in this situation yet? He has ALWAYS loved the water and especially ducks. I also know he is older and I am sure the cold hurts.
I think he just has to do it. My hubby didnt like me blocking the dog. But, he has to do it to get used to it and to learn to break ice. The water wasnt deep and he was in no danger.

That was about the end of the day for us. I got to drive the boat back and load it on the trailer. I really liked how she drove. Got on plane nicely. Loaded super easily. Really think I am going to enjoy this boat.

My huntin bud is coming tomorrrow and I had thought I would take her out in the boat for ducks. But I really think the best thing to do is drive it some more before I bring on a victim....LMAO

Jim and Chad enjoying the view

Max chillin

Jim shagging a bird

Max and the Teal. You can tell he isnt impressed.

Jim and Max

Max and his shoveler

The days catch
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: It wasnt stellar

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 am

Had to look twice at the dog. Appears you have him dressed in a fur collar!
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Mary,
I 100% believe you have to train the way you'll hunt. No worries though, this will give you something to work through during the off season.

...One word of advice that was offered me was that if you plan on killing ducks at 20-30 yards, run your marks at the 75-100 yard distance. This will make the 'work' seem easier come game day, and address cripples that will swim off as well. Where we hunt is mostly tidal water with various currents, I don't have much use for the show stopper 200 yard retrieves that some of the lab guys train for. YMMV.

...and now that I am rambling on here, you may want to check out your local HRC club, so far I've found them to be a great group of folks that can really help sort out the migratory side of life for we versatile fans.

http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/maps.shtml
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Constructeur wrote:Mary,
I 100% believe you have to train the way you'll hunt. No worries though, this will give you something to work through during the off season.

...One word of advice that was offered me was that if you plan on killing ducks at 20-30 yards, run your marks at the 75-100 yard distance. This will make the 'work' seem easier come game day, and address cripples that will swim off as well. Where we hunt is mostly tidal water with various currents, I don't have much use for the show stopper 200 yard retrieves that some of the lab guys train for. YMMV.

...and now that I am rambling on here, you may want to check out your local HRC club, so far I've found them to be a great group of folks that can really help sort out the migratory side of life for we versatile fans.

http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/maps.shtml

Thank you very much!
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:36 am

Rig is nice! Tinkering with waterfowl equipment never ends. You will have your rig and your dogs better prepared for next year, I have no doubt.

My experience is that some dogs need more work at the details of waterfowling than others. Hunting off a bank in natural cover in relatively warm weather/water does not prepare some dogs for the logistics of hunting out a boat in ice water for example. I have no good access to medium or larger flowing rivers where I live. So my pup's first exposure to it was on a duck hunt in the dead of winter with ice flows coming the river, last year in his first season. He was hesitant and it took me entering the river to encourage him to do the same. He got to retrieve 6 ducks that day and we worked multiple retrieves with our fresh killed ducks as well. I have had other pups which were more bold in such a situation as that, than this one is. He would have been better off had I exposed him to the river current prior to the hunt, but I didn't so we had to work through it during the hunt. Seems somewhat similar to Max's first day hunting out of boat in ice water is why I share that.

We hunt and train the dog we got, not the one we used to have or someone else has... Meaning the best reaction we can have when our dogs need improvement is help them improve through exposure and training. You know that of course, just letting you know it happens with other dogs as well.

As to best buys on waterfowling gear, you should get real familiar with RogersSportingGoods. They will not be undersold and they carry alot of inventory going into the season. Their best buys are prior to the season not after and they will have little inventory left if you wait until after the season.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Rig is nice! Tinkering with waterfowl equipment never ends. You will have your rig and your dogs better prepared for next year, I have no doubt.

My experience is that some dogs need more work at the details of waterfowling than others. Hunting off a bank in natural cover in relatively warm weather/water does not prepare some dogs for the logistics of hunting out a boat in ice water for example. I have no good access to medium or larger flowing rivers where I live. So my pup's first exposure to it was on a duck hunt in the dead of winter with ice flows coming the river, last year in his first season. He was hesitant and it took me entering the river to encourage him to do the same. He got to retrieve 6 ducks that day and we worked multiple retrieves with our fresh killed ducks as well. I have had other pups which were more bold in such a situation as that, than this one is. He would have been better off had I exposed him to the river current prior to the hunt, but I didn't so we had to work through it during the hunt. Seems somewhat similar to Max's first day hunting out of boat in ice water is why I share that.

We hunt and train the dog we got, not the one we used to have or someone else has... Meaning the best reaction we can have when our dogs need improvement is help them improve through exposure and training. You know that of course, just letting you know it happens with other dogs as well.

As to best buys on waterfowling gear, you should get real familiar with RogersSportingGoods. They will not be undersold and they carry alot of inventory going into the season. Their best buys are prior to the season not after and they will have little inventory left if you wait until after the season.

Good stuff, thanks

Admit tingly, I was pretty hard on Max for his behavior.......or lack there of. I wasnt over board or beat him or anything..thats not me. But I did a lot of brow beating. It seemed when he came off the boat, he forgot where the bird was. The bird was like 20 yards. I could see it plain as day. It really frustrated me. Most of it was what I always warn my puppy guys about. We had someone with us who was doubtful of the setter retrieving anything.....that didnt help me. Anxiety was high anyways. HAd I been alone, I would have handled it a lot better.
The rest he did surprisingly well. He sat quietly on the deck. I would try to tuck him under the cover a bit, but he was not having it, he wanted to be on the cold deck watching. He didnt quit understand why we were not shooting at all the birds he saw. That drove him nutz, but he kept his composure.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion