From high to low in one minute.

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

From high to low in one minute.

Postby Willie T » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Today is the last day of my annual 2 week North Dakota trip. To put a bow on things we were going to spend the morning pheasant hunting. Bird numbers are down but if you cover enough ground there are still birds to be found. Having a great morning. It had warmed up to about 20. Light wind. Sunshine. Snow on the ground. Beautiful day on the prairie. Rooster tracks all around the cattails. The 15 month old Pudelpointer had just pointed a beautiful rooster for me. The bird held and let me approach to within 4 steps giving me an easy shot. Steady on the flush. About 30 seconds later he locked up again. I circled around and walked in on the point to find a porcupine. Porcupine, dog, and me all saw each other at the same time. The pup jumped in on the porky and was rewarded with about 40 quills in the front leg. In return the Pudelpointer grabbed the porky by the head. About 40 more quills to the mouth, tongue, and muzzle. I had a heck of a time getting him to turn it loose without getting harpooned. One pissed Pudelpointer. So instead of a photo session to end the trip, I pulled all the quills I could get out and a trip to the vet to get the rest. Sometimes dogs do some dumb stuff....
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: From high to low in one minute.

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Sorry to hear it. I live in fear of the same happening to us. Not sure some of these Vdogs learn their lesson either ... Safe Travels home.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks for the kind words AG. Vet asked if he was a repeat offender. I told her no it was his first encounter. She told me the dogs that get hit a little and back off usually don't have any more problems. She went on to tell me the dogs who retaliate often go on to become repeat offenders. Looks like working out a porcupine avoidance program is in my future.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Willie,
What a way to end a hunt. Vet probably told you this, but keep a close eye on hime the next few weeks. Friend had a quill show up in his dogs guts about two weeks after the initial , shall we say, exposure.

And if it helps at all, I had a dog that was 3 time offender, finally caught the dog going for number 4 with the ecollar. Never got another one, but don't know if she ever had the opportunity.

Probably didn't help much did it?
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Oh man, I feel for ya Wille. I just narrowly avoided that this past week with my 5 month old GWP pup. We weren't 40 yards from the vehicle, when suddenly she went on point. I then see that 2ft from her nose is a young porcupine. Oh God! I say "Hazel NO" as I approach but she's too curious and starts to creep in cautiously. Again "Hazel NO." As she moved clossr the porcupine did too, turning his back and tail toward her. Thankfully that movement caused her to jump back. That gave me the extra second I needed to grab the check cord and give it a sharp tug back and "NO." She stopped and then tried again to approach so I said another NO as gave the cord a real sharp yank backwards. It was already 4 so I just called it a day acter that. Thank goodness for the cord. I let her run "free" but drag the check cord just in case I need to gather her in to keep her out of trouble.

I've been thru it twice (cost me $600 each time) with my older dog but I did another porcupine proofing training in September and without even using the e-collar he turned away on his own as soon as he hit the scent of it. Hopeful he's decided on his own that he's had enough. Good luck Willie, I'm sure your dog will be fine but expect to find some more quills migrating back out.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Uggh...had my dog get hit by a skunk on the second morning of my trip...porkies are no bueno...
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion