Canada Trip Next Fall

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Canada Trip Next Fall

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:29 pm

I am seriously considering going to either northern Alberta or Saskatchewan next fall for a waterfowl trip. Likely DIY, knocking on doors to get permission to hunt various fields and potholes. My question is, what do I need to know about driving into Canada. I am assuming I will need a passport, as well as rabies/health certificate for my shorthair, Rowdy. Is there anything that I am not allowed to bring? Do I need any paperwork on guns/ammo? I plan on calling the Canadian Border Information Service as the time gets closer to see exactly what the requirements are. Would hate to plan out a trip and then get turned away at the border. Thanks in advance for any and all info from those who have done this recently.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Canada Trip Next Fall

Postby Big Bird » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:28 pm

the attached link is the current regulations for bringing a firearm into Canada.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... te-eng.htm
Note: absolutely no revolvers are allowed. I believe there is also a limit on the number of rounds of ammunition you can import.

You must have a passport, be 18 years of age and no criminal record.
Big Bird
Conserve Game - Hunt with a Trained Dog
Bracco Italiano -adding entertainment to a hunt
Big Bird
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Any ammo in excess of 200 round you'll need to pay a tax, like $2 a box. I hear the $2 is worth it because you can't always get good ammo up there.

You can download the firearms forms and fill it out before you leave. Make sure it's in triplicate or you'll need to do it all over again at the border. You'll need the form for reentry into the US. You can only bring back three daily limits of the different types of waterfowl harvested. Birds must have a wing attached for identification of species.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:59 pm

PM sent.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion