Versatile dog puppy training.

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Versatile dog puppy training.

Postby Kiger2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 pm

3drathst,

And you have no idea how the pups you discarded turned out do you???? Only an initial impression???
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Kiger2 wrote:3drathst,

And you have no idea how the pups you discarded turned out do you???? Only an initial impression???

I believe he was talking about the "wing on a string" getting tossed in the can,,,,not the pup,,,,,,,
J D Patrick
Started
Started

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:25 pm

that's very funny!
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:that's very funny!

What a hoot.

Shows how screwed up the internet is.

3ds

PS never discarded a pup yet...
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby themud » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:50 pm

I live on a corner with a busy road and a road near a large outdoor soccer complex. My biggest worry is him taking off. My other dog would never "come" and bolted at an open door.

My 17 week old Griff doesn't seem to care about the open door, but I am weary of letting him off leash on the bike path or soccer park. Any suggestions? Do I just get over it and let him go? I do at the dog park, but of course it's fenced.
themud
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Should be leashed on the bike path. As long as the pup is safe on the Soccer field, I don't wee a problem with being off leash. Your biggest worry is other dogs that don't behave themselves and their owners who don't give a $#*!. This soccer field off leash time isn't a substitute for being out in the woods and such.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby themud » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks Orhunter. Across the street and 100 yards down the bike path are two large ponds. The bike path is 2 1/2 times a regular sidewalk with mile markers. Exactly one mile starts a field, but again there is a road at 50 yards from the beginning of the field. The weeded field is approx. 5 acres.
themud
Pup
Pup

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 pm

themud wrote:I live on a corner with a busy road and a road near a large outdoor soccer complex. My biggest worry is him taking off. My other dog would never "come" and bolted at an open door.

My 17 week old Griff doesn't seem to care about the open door, but I am weary of letting him off leash on the bike path or soccer park. Any suggestions? Do I just get over it and let him go? I do at the dog park, but of course it's fenced.

What Orhunter said. Follow the rules of where you are. At four months of age the dog could/should be collar conditioned so you have a recall that will save your bacon in most situations.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby themud » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks guys. I got him at roughly 11ish weeks old. The previous people who put a deposit on him failed their interview, so he stayed with two litter mates who were slotted to head out east as hunting dogs, and with his mother and two aunts.

I had him on e fence collar two weeks later, so he is conditioned to the prongs already and we definitely have fun out back within those boundaries. I don't think he really thought much about it right from the beginning. When he gets too close to the borders in some areas he acts like something itches and I call him back, but it doesn't happen too much as I think he knows the "beep" comes before the tickle. He does ride that "beep" for a while though.
themud
Pup
Pup

Postby themud » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Another question. I am in Northern Colorado. Morning temp this morning was 23 F. The two ponds we live close to are not frozen, but I imagine they are close. The pup is good with snow as it Snowed yesterday and he loved running through and eating it.

1) Toss tennis ball in? He seems to like the tennis ball. Not too cold for him?

2) As a house pet, my wife said if he goes into the pond, he needs a bath each time. What are you guys doing? Bath? Waterless bath? Just dry and that's it?

Thanks. Will get him in there starting Friday and report back.
themud
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Depends on the water. If dog doesn't stink, drip dry works for me. Sometimes a thorough fumigation is in order. I put the dog in the shower with me if she needs a scrubbing.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:45 am

themud wrote:Another question. I am in Northern Colorado. Morning temp this morning was 23 F. The two ponds we live close to are not frozen, but I imagine they are close. The pup is good with snow as it Snowed yesterday and he loved running through and eating it.

1) Toss tennis ball in? He seems to like the tennis ball. Not too cold for him?

2) As a house pet, my wife said if he goes into the pond, he needs a bath each time. What are you guys doing? Bath? Waterless bath? Just dry and that's it?

Thanks. Will get him in there starting Friday and report back.

I usually don't tell my wife he went in the pond, unless he's really stinky. I give way more baths for dirt and mud than ponds. I usually just use water and no soap. It rinses out easy enough.

I might not toss the tennis ball in just yet. if you do, only so far into the water that you could get it back with a stick. I think I would take him to a pond with a duck or a goose on it. You have time for him to begin to explore it of his own accord.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 pm

The mud,
You have to read the dog. Im very cautious around cold water with pups because it can create an issue. Got a lab pup a couple of years ago at christmas. Always worried about pup around the cold water but she showed mesh was Ok with it, in fact i couldn't keep her out.didnt need a ball. But........ be careful!

You have to read your wife......... I use the pond to bath the dogs. It is ver rare for my dogs to see soap. they get muddy plaing or take a roll in the most aromatic cow pie they can find and in the pond they go. We have a kids pool outside and they are trained to kennel to get the mud of their feet. They get toweled dry when the come in. But read your wife, pond water may not be clean enough.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training