Chasing Chickens

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Chasing Chickens

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Spud got his first taste of Prairie Chickens this morning. He liked it.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Chasing Chickens

Postby carramrod » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 am

I'm still learning how to hunt those guys, but it's a great way to get out of the house and walk around early.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:58 pm

The party just keeps on going. 2 Sharptails and a Prairie Chicken off points this morning. Would have loved to captured the points on film. The second Sharptail, had Spud standing tall at both ends pointing the bird 25 yards below him, with nothing but huge clear blue sky behind him. But solid points with birds holding long enough to get into high odds gun range on Prairie Grouse come hard enough for me that I felt it was critical to reward my young dog if at all possible, so I hustled in with gun at port arms ready to shoot ...

But it is much easier to sling my gun, reach in my game bag and wake the camera up in time to get a retrieve photo so that is what I have to share.

First Sharptail this morning.

Second Sharptail This Morning.

Spud had 2 Prairie Chickens pointed when we finished our limit with this bird.

The beauty is more subtle than Mountain Backdrops perhaps but I appreciate all of God's creation equally. And the ability to let your young dog roll, hunt and work birds while in view for so much of the show is such a gift every time we do it.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm not sure what's prettier, spud's retrieve or the asian and Russian chicks I could met if I just click the link on your postimage page, haha. Either way, keep the photos coming :lol:
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:07 pm

X10

Only my girls are all Asian and very interested in marrying fat middle aged whiskey drinking men.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:39 am

mtlhdr wrote:I'm not sure what's prettier, spud's retrieve or the asian and Russian chicks I could met if I just click the link on your postimage page, haha. Either way, keep the photos coming :lol:

What?!, I missed that advertising crap. Anyone know how to get rid of it?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:26 am

nice hunt and dog
J D Patrick
Started
Started

Postby carramrod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 am

mtlhdr wrote:I'm not sure what's prettier, spud's retrieve or the asian and Russian chicks I could met if I just click the link on your postimage page, haha. Either way, keep the photos coming :lol:

Yeah, that was definitely a distraction. The ads work though, they're very eye catching.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am

AverageGuy wrote:

What?!, I missed that advertising crap. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

My guess is that is the price you pay for free picture hosting. I was just messing, Spud's retrieves are definitely prettier. Keep em coming.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:16 pm

So I am looking at the pictures again man am I jealous. You are wearing a jacket. It is still pushing 100 here.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Was a lite camo vest over my camo shirt but you are correct, it got down into the upper 20s one night and into the 30s every night. Mid 50s to low 70s for highs but 30s to 50s most of the morning to early afternoon hours we were hunting.

Wind was a factor - Blew pretty hard the first day and was blowing steady at 25 MPH with gusts over 30 the last day. Never fired a shot that day. Still dry out there and the dogs struggled to get any scent with dry ground, very low humidity and high winds all at the same time.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Very nice. I got out once for chickens and had a great day. Didn't see many, but those few were off points.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms