The Hunting Dog Podcast

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

The Hunting Dog Podcast

Postby Sooty42 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:39 am

Does anyone listen to The Hunting Dog Podcast? If not you should check it out. I'm new to this hunting dog stuff and find this podcast very interesting, it keeps me entertained on my work commute.
Sooty42
Started
Started

Re: The Hunting Dog Podcast

Postby Spindog » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Yes I have been listening to it for a couple months. I met Rick this summer at judges seminar. He is a great guy. Very down to earth and funny. I cold called him when I was investigating getting a Bracco. Spent 2 hours on the phone with me and gave me a lot of candid advice about the breed. Hope to spend some time in the field with him one day.
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone 9 Brown & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby TruAblePup » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:44 pm

I liked it, thanks for sharing!

TP
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby ForestDump » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:35 am

Been listening since the beginning a lot of episodes have replay value. I listen during my commute and sometimes when Work is slow at my desk.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 am

I listen during my road trips for work.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 am

I mostly enjoy it. If he did more in person interviews I might throw money his way, but so many of his guests have that crumy cell phone voice distortion.

He could also let his guests do more talking, less interrupting.

Steve Rinella does a real good job with his podcasts.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby carramrod » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:50 pm

jlw034 wrote:I mostly enjoy it. If he did more in person interviews I might throw money his way, but so many of his guests have that crumy cell phone voice distortion.

Agreed on both accounts. I'd like to add there are almost too many that focus on training tactics. Every now and then is fine, but lately they've been more training based than not it seems. I was putting some cash towards it for a while, but backed out because I wasn't enjoying it as much as I was earlier.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:51 am

jlw034 wrote:I mostly enjoy it. If he did more in person interviews I might throw money his way, but so many of his guests have that crumy cell phone voice distortion.

I agree the Meateater Podcast is very good. The only problem is that he is not into hunting dogs.
Sooty42
Started
Started

Postby jlw034 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 am

Sooty42 wrote:

I agree the Meateater Podcast is very good. The only problem is that he is not into hunting dogs.

Yeah, he's definitely not a dog guy. He's had a couple shows with dogs, but not much.

He had one comment that initially irked me, but now I think was spot on. Something about dog hunters are more interested in the dogs than the hunt.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:28 am

jlw034 wrote:
Sooty42 wrote:

Yeah, he's definitely not a dog guy. He's had a couple shows with dogs, but not much.

He had one comment that initially irked me, but now I think was spot on. Something about dog hunters are more interested in the dogs than the hunt.

Yeah, one time he said he wished he could just keep a dog in his pocket so he could let it out only when he needed it to find and retrieve game. So he see's the value in a dog, but definitely is not a dog guy. I guess some people just don't get the connection and companionship you can have with a dog.
Sooty42
Started
Started

Postby carramrod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:49 am

I think a lot of him not being a dog guy is he's mostly into back country big game. Judging from the show he enjoys those small game hunts, but he seems to live more for the backpack hunts.

The bird hunts Steve R. goes on for his Meat Eater show are all actually with Ron from the HDP. I'm pretty sure this season coming out has a sage grouse hunt in it. At least it should since they went on one together. They both had a podcast with the other last year on it. Even then the way it sounds was they spotted the grouse fly in and it sounded like Steve didn't want to use the dogs to locate them for fear they'd bust the birds. Different strokes.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Spindog » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:52 pm

I have a bird hunting friend who is always complaining about his dogs. He says if he had a better sense of smell he would not even need them. LOL
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone 9 Brown & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Sooty42 wrote:
jlw034 wrote:
Sooty42 wrote:

Yeah, one time he said he wished he could just keep a dog in his pocket so he could let it out only when he needed it to find and retrieve game. So he see's the value in a dog, but definitely is not a dog guy. I guess some people just don't get the connection and companionship you can have with a dog.

I've been watching his show for years and he's one of the most astute and aware hunters I've seen. I'm pretty sure he gets the connection. He's a hunter, period. Sure his passion is self guided big game hunts but he grew up hunting small game and just because he doesn't own a dog doesn't mean he doesn't recognize or appreciate the connection and companionship a dog provides (on one of his shows, I heard him comment on that relationship. I think it was his Wisconsin deer camp show where they did some rabbit or squirrel hunting with dogs and mentioned the relationship between handler and hound.) I think his comment on wanting dog in his pocket has more to do with actually recognizing the skill of a good dog in locating game better than any of us more than just saying he has no other use for them.

When it comes to hunting shows, his show Meateater and Randy Newberg's Fresh Tracks show are two of the only shows worth watching (I like Scott Lindens Wingshooting USA too.) Anybody ever see Bird Dog Wars? Terrible, the fast food version of bird "hunting." Although I'm sure it appeals to the mouthbreather contingent of the hunting show audience.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:15 pm

ryanr wrote:Anybody ever see Bird Dog Wars? Terrible, the fast food version of bird "hunting." Although I'm sure it appeals to the mouthbreather contingent of the hunting show audience.

I like Bird Dog Wars for what it is but I will watch just about anything with a dog in it. It’s not a hunting show it’s a shoot to retrieve field trial, a game on planted birds that often don’t want to fly lol. The dogs aren’t nearly as broke as I like mine to be but it’s all fun. I’d do the shoot to retrieve games more but I’m a terrible shot so I stick to the broke dog stakes with a .22 blank.

Ron does a great job with HDP. Sometimes there are production value issues but the guys admitted to barely knowing what he’s doing and he gets great guests. Now that the show is getting bigger I only expect it to get better. I don’t listen to any other hunting podcasts as I’m only interested in hunting with dogs.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Sooty42 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:02 pm

When it comes to hunting shows, his show Meateater and Randy Newberg's Fresh Tracks show are two of the only shows worth watching (I like Scott Lindens Wingshooting USA too.) Anybody ever see Bird Dog Wars? Terrible, the fast food version of bird "hunting." Although I'm sure it appeals to the mouthbreather contingent of the hunting show audience.[/quote]

I agree, Meateater is by far my favorite tv show. Randy Newberg is good too.
American Gun Dog was the besting hunting dog show I've seen, to bad it's not on anymore.
Sooty42
Started
Started

Next

Return to General Discussion