Anyone ever own or been around a Boerboel?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Anyone ever own or been around a Boerboel?

Postby Chadwick » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:29 pm

OT,

What if an emergency responder was coming to your house and you were not there or capable of dealing with the dog at that point in time?
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:33 pm

oldtimer wrote:
JONOV wrote:In any case, I think you're overcomplicating the problem. Plenty of breeds will do what you want. I would look at a working line shepherd myself. Otherwise a Great Pyrenese.

I agree that shepherds would do what I want, but so will a boerboel. I like their looks and relatively easy needs for exercise. Why does everyone seem to want to steer me in the direction of a dog that is so similar to the one I want?

Why do so many people that come on here looking for a Spinone, Wirehaired Vizsla, Bracco/Braque de Whatever, end up getting steered toward a VDD/GSP/GWP? I could buy a Bracco Italiano and he might turn out to be a good hunting dog, but if my primary goal is a great hunting dog, I might increase my odds getting something else.

Why are you so interested in something "unique?" Are you looking for a guard dog first and foremost, and a different breed second? Or are you looking for a neat rare breed first, and a guard dog second? Neither answer is wrong.

Why is your situation so unique that you're focusing on a boerboel? What does the Boerboel deliver that other breeds with much more data available to you and a broader selection available fail to deliver?
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:28 pm

There are literally HUNDREDS of stories like this on the net. I specifically remember this story as it was horrifying to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diane_Whipple

I am not implying these breeds are bad. But an very high knowledge on how these dogs work would prevent this stuff from happening.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:39 pm

My home security is simple.

A dog that barks and warns us of any and all intruders, but primarily serves as my Vdog and best hunting buddy i.e. Spud. And a short barreled 12 gauge pump shotgun with heavy rounds in the magazine, but none in the chamber. I pump it once and it is ready. Meanwhile it is empty. I am not going to miss with it nor can I shoot through a wall and tragically harm a loved one like pistols are prone to do ... Simple, effective and safe is how I see it.

Statistics are very clear, Criminals avoid premises with Barking dogs. The dog does not need to be weapon - it needs to be a warning. Not telling you what to do, just thought I would offer something to consider.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 pm

I enjoy the look of the boerboel. They also are said to be guardians without being aggressive without cause. I am just in the beginning stages of my search. I have never heard of a boerboel attacking innocent people in the U.S.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:51 pm

In the above mentioned case in SF, had the handlers been required to be licensed based on their ability to handle specific dogs, the fatality probably wouldn't have happened. I have no doubt Old timer could handle aggressive breeds with enough cannabis cookies.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:20 pm

AverageGuy wrote:My home security is simple.

A dog that barks and warns us of any and all intruders, but primarily serves as my Vdog and best hunting buddy i.e. Spud. And a short barreled 12 gauge pump shotgun with heavy rounds in the magazine, but none in the chamber. I pump it once and it is ready. Meanwhile it is empty. I am not going to miss with it nor can I shoot through a wall and tragically harm a loved one like pistols are prone to do ... Simple, effective and safe is how I see it.

Statistics are very clear, Criminals avoid premises with Barking dogs. The dog does not need to be weapon - it needs to be a warning. Not telling you what to do, just thought I would offer something to consider.

And there is no mistaking the sound of a round being pumped into the chamber.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:23 pm

oldtimer wrote:I enjoy the look of the boerboel. They also are said to be guardians without being aggressive without cause. I am just in the beginning stages of my search. I have never heard of a boerboel attacking innocent people in the U.S.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymai ... e-dog.html

https://zululandobserver.co.za/96666/dog-attack-terror/
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:40 pm

oldtimer wrote:I enjoy the look of the boerboel. They also are said to be guardians without being aggressive without cause. I am just in the beginning stages of my search. I have never heard of a boerboel attacking innocent people in the U.S.

Did it ever dawn on you it's likely because so very few people in the US actually own one? Good Lord.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:01 pm

You are not understanding the level of training involved in a protection dog. My Corso was trained to a high level before I ever got him. A poison steak over the fence and your beast is a speed bump. Toss a steak to my Corso and he would continue to stare at you. Whatever protection dog you get you need a pro trainer or you're wasting time and money. Then Kiwi will euthanize that land shark under court order.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion