Looking for harness in field please

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Looking for harness in field please

Postby overit2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:59 am

So our 10 month old pup recently was very ill-luckily on the way to recovery. We don't know if it was a grass awn or if after antibiotics are done something will re-surface. He had a huge abcess form right on his right side neck. Lanced twice w/drains that are now out. We are putting honey on the wounds as indicated by vet as well as continuing the antibiotics.

We know for a while he won't be able to wear a collar-likely a long while-even when this heals it's possibly he'll have some small scar tissue left- like a keloid. This has kind of put a lot on hold- he was to have his first show this month. We still plan on sending him to fall training w/our local Weim club trainer for birds. We had just started e-collar also so we had to put everything on hold this last month-likely more.

I need to know what harness you would recommend in field. Not for walking him but for releasing him to chase birds. We would love something small, lightweight, functional and comfortable (not causing irritation underarm) little padding, there are SO MANY- but I just can't figure out what our Weim would be comfortable in for full speed running/tracking/field work. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!!!
overit2
Started
Started

Re: Looking for harness in field please

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 am

Just run him without...

... no need for it in the field unless you want to attach an ID plate if he gets lost.

Just my $.02,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Why would you have your dog tethered in the field? They don't learn to hunt by being under handler control.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:17 pm

As 3ds said, I would run without unless you need, which you do, need ID.

I am seeing a trend of harnesses on dogs in the field. Not sure where it is coming from or why. Maybe a hipster thing IDK. A collar alone has a risk of getting caught on stuff. Now add 6 more points to it and you have more of a hazard.

Cant remember which pup of mine it was, but the owner had a harness because when the pup pulled, he choked himself. My reaction ofcoarse was, stop him from pulling and he wont choke! Geez, rocket science.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Yup, thats the pup...on point, in the field, with a harness. :lol: :evil:

VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Just go to a pet store and see which one you think will rub the least.

In any case, you'll need one to take the dog anywhere on a leash while the wound heals.

I REALLY DON'T like letting my dog loose without a name tag/something to haul him away with. Just in case he ends up in a fight, or won't leave a dead bird or whatever alone, or runs away and I have to drag him back. I haven't really had to deal with any of the above, except one time I drug him off a dead animal he wouldn't leave alone.

I also hate the general harness trend, usually done by people that can't train their dog to walk on a leash. Although, when my dog was a puppy more than one person tried to sell us harnesses because "its bad for the neck/throat" and tried to feed us a line about safety.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:03 pm

I buy these harnesses at Runnings for $8.99. They come in a variety of colors. I use them from roading my dogs with my bicycle. I would guess that most any pet store would have something similar.

http://www.runnings.com/dog-collars-har ... arness.htm
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:51 pm

3drahthaars wrote:Just run him without...

... no need for it in the field unless you want to attach an ID plate if he gets lost.

Just my $.02,

3ds

Same here. Bird dogs need to roll. I would be judicious where I run him till the wound mends. It's unlikely he will back off on his own just because he is nicked.
Edit: Not referring to a collar nick.
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby daeion » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:31 am

I can't remember if it's Avery, Banded, or Drake maybe but I think one of them makes a neoprene vest with built in leash attachment. Sure it's meant for duck hunting but might work for your needs depending on when and where you're hunting.

edit: both banded and avery make vests with leash clips as well as Delta Waterfowl Gear
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:05 pm

The OP needs an alternative to a collar for now. It has little to do with bird dogs need to run untethered. IT WILL BE running free, as the OP says so in their post. But the dog needs something other than a collar to wear in the meantime while in the field. As someone suggested I would go to a good pet store and check out some harnesses. Or look at harnesses in the sled dog world, Howling Dog Alaska perhaps?
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion