why do people jump ship ??

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

why do people jump ship ??

Postby woodboro » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:40 am

Lately some people in the DK and DD world , are leaving their GNA club and joining Canada groups, or other JGHV clubs.
Why ...

No respect and support for current (what we could call mother club in their back yard) ???

riff over a board member or club member ???

I call it thin skin ,, but why are most of these people jumping ship , instead of strengthening the organization >> ???
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: why do people jump ship ??

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:22 pm

woodboro wrote:Lately some people in the DK and DD world , are leaving their GNA club and joining Canada groups, or other JGHV clubs.
Why ...

No respect and support for current (what we could call mother club in their back yard) ???

riff over a board member or club member ???

I call it thin skin ,, but why are most of these people jumping ship , instead of strengthening the organization >> ???

Well, since you have already arrived at a conclusion and "call it thin skin",

I see no reason for confusing you with the facts... because you've already made up your mind.

FWIW, as soon as I finish my 25th year with GNA I'm going to Group Canada or VPP.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:06 pm

fwiw : :lol:

lack of explanation as well
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:46 pm

There seems to be a lot of politics in the dog world....
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:56 am

JONOV wrote:There seems to be a lot of politics in the dog world....

Gotten worse since the "business model" has gotten better.

Was a big push for more judges, more tests, more locations, etc... makes overall costs to get breed certified lower.

More and more litters, the associated incestuousness of successive handlers out of successive pups from one or two kennels.

It is an environment rife with potential for politics... and God help anyone with any idealism that goes against the grain.

All in all you made a very succinct point.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TobyTx » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:03 pm

I know why some have never joined. They didn't like the snobbish, stuck up attitudes at training days. Some that did joined left because they didn't like the politics. You call it thinned skinned, they call it not wanting to put up with crap and or wanting anything to do with it.

As to why join other jghv groups? Maybe they found something they like in other breeds? Maybe they couldn't find room to test their dog?

Just because people stay hardly means they're strengthening the organization.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Birddogs » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:35 am

Interesting thread . What is the Canada group ...my Griff is getting on
And DK or DD are two breeds I am perusing.
Here in Alberta test clubs are in constant flux , though we only
have Navhda and pointing dog clubs ( CKC tests) going in and out
Of bussiness fairly regularly .
Myself and a few associates are planning to go to a VHDF test in another
City with the idea that this area needs a VHDF chapter .
But I'm sure it will be bussiness as usual .
Birddogs
Started
Started

Postby woodboro » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:37 pm

TobyTx wrote:I know why some have never joined. They didn't like the snobbish, stuck up attitudes at training days. Some that did joined left because they didn't like the politics. You call it thinned skinned, they call it not wanting to put up with crap and or wanting anything to do with it.

As to why join other jghv groups? Maybe they found something they like in other breeds? Maybe they couldn't find room to test their dog?

I am wondering if you are JGHV club member ??
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby TobyTx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:46 pm

Not anymore.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:11 am

I think most of it is personality conflicts, and some people just don't enjoy politics. I've personally never been treated poorly at any testing or training days, and I've been to many across the Midwest.

Everyone who's jumping ship either has a direct personality conflict with a member of leadership and found a better clique, has a "glass half empty, doom and gloom" attitude, or wasn't going to contribute anything after their dog tested anyway.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 (197.5 Armbruster)
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:38 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:I think most of it is personality conflicts, and some people just don't enjoy politics. I've personally never been treated poorly at any testing or training days, and I've been to many across the Midwest.

Everyone who's jumping ship either has a direct personality conflict with a member of leadership and found a better clique, has a "glass half empty, doom and gloom" attitude, or wasn't going to contribute anything after their dog tested anyway.

I believe you nailed it. :lol:

TobyTx wrote:I know why some have never joined. They didn't like the snobbish, stuck up attitudes at training days. Some that did joined left because they didn't like the politics. You call it thinned skinned, they call it not wanting to put up with crap and or wanting anything to do with it.

And here is the weakness to any club !!!
When a guy thinks he is better than a club , and leaves it , if he stayed he could of strengthened the club and organization.
Sometimes people look at how it affects them , but not how they can affect a club and make it stronger.
*** Thin skin is another term , but if you really like a breed and want to represent a breed , sometimes a persons personality needs to either take a
back seat to a organization , or truly be single minded (lack of another word) and only think of the breed they truly love and want to represent.
America was built on doing the best we can , and in all frankness - competitive. Sometimes that mentality transfers into our enjoyable hobbies that are to
give us happiness and worthiness.
I have always told newbie members - to be a member as long as you own your dog.
Otherwise your dog in the kennel represents 100+ years that got you a hunting dog , and a non-member is kicking dirt at his dog that probably is the best
hunting dog he ever had. :crazyeyes:
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I think most of it is personality conflicts, and some people just don't enjoy politics. I've personally never been treated poorly at any testing or training days, and I've been to many across the Midwest.

And, you've been in VDD GNA, what a good couple of years?

There's a "clique" alright... and, those with this perspective are part of it.

Newbies, mis-informed, jump on the breeder bandwagon types fit right in to the real "clique".

Some really competent, influential, knowledgeable members were forced out by the "clique".

I made my decision when a former Group Breed Warden was pretty much threatened and kicked out... he'll forget more than the current controlling "clique" will ever know...

When you've earned your bones, then chime in.

But, right now with your immaturity. naivety, lack of knowledge of the history, and lack of grasp on the real situation you've insulted a lot of dedicated DD members with your post.

Nuff said,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 pm

And there ya go, creating conflict again...

Some of us see great things and want to build the club back up. Karma took care of the a-hole forcing said members out. They may still be leadership conflicts, but there's been enough turnover lately that I'm cautiously optimistic. But im a glass half full person myself.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 (197.5 Armbruster)
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:25 am

Miss. is right on by taking the high road..

If 3D wants to work on someone that has years with JGHV clubs , come at me , I have been a member for 30. :lol:
You can tell me how far the DD and DK club has gone from 225 and 125 members till now.

This thread was not to be about a spitting match , it is supposed to be about what mentality people have about leaving a club that
has over 100+ years of breeding tradition , and has put a dog or dogs into your kennels.
*** And maybe how to keep people in the JGHV organization , and strengthen clubs , not diss'in them or posters on here.

Take a breath people... and think about the topic.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Canard Gris » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:17 am

3drahthaars wrote:

And, you've been in VDD GNA, what a good couple of years?

There's a "clique" alright... and, those with this perspective are part of it.

Newbies, mis-informed, jump on the breeder bandwagon types fit right in to the real "clique".

Some really competent, influential, knowledgeable members were forced out by the "clique".

I made my decision when a former Group Breed Warden was pretty much threatened and kicked out... he'll forget more than the current controlling "clique" will ever know...

When you've earned your bones, then chime in.

But, right now with your immaturity. naivety, lack of knowledge of the history, and lack of grasp on the real situation you've insulted a lot of dedicated DD members with your post.

Nuff said,

3ds

While I haven't been a member of the group for 25 years and have not earned my "bones," I can only echo what MissK says about treatment at Group events. I've never had a poor experience at either a training day or testing day. Though I frequently don't agree with some of the training exercises carried out by some members at training days, I've never felt insulted or gotten bent out of shape. I just continue developing my dogs in the manner that I have had success with and inline with the guidance I receive from my breeder.

Whenever you get people involved with an organization, you are going to have some that don't get along no matter what. That's just the way it is. But I can tell you that the majority of the posts I see you making on this forum do have a "doom and gloom" attitude to them, and seem to always be alluding to behind the scenes info and reasons why you are unhappy with the group. Regardless of the politics, the club is producing some very talented hunting dogs.

In my experience with other breeds, both retrievers and pointing dogs, the "top end" dogs in both of those categories will typically better at their particular task than the best DD. But when you look at how far novice trainers routinely take DD's, it is impressive. This spring I attended a VJP in which over 20 young dogs ran, and every single one of them was a serviceable hunting dog. I would like to see the results if you held a puppy trial or puppy retriever test with 20 young pointers or retrievers trained by people that were either first time handlers or weekend warriors without lots of time to devote to developing a young dog. This is one of the reasons I abandoned my previous breeds in favor of the drahthaar. I'm not in a "clique" and the politics have nothing to do with me raising the current puppy in my kennel to be the best hunting dog that he can be.
Canard Gris
Pup
Pup

Next

Return to German and European Testing Systems