Foot pad cut question

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Foot pad cut question

Postby JONOV » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Gus unfortunately cut his foot yesterday running through an oyster bed. I'm scheduled to run him in an NA test in a week.
Those of you with experience with these, is it likely to heal in time or should I cancel. It isn't a bad cut I don't think. We are wrapping it and putting neoaporin on it.
Attachments
IMG_0293.JPG
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Foot pad cut question

Postby Constructeur » Mon May 01, 2017 7:55 am

just my .02 from a guy that used to get cut up all the time, but try the kids neosporin, it's lotion based and soaks in better.

I'd also try to find a boot and have that on him.

..and no more oyster runs without booties, those are sharp as hell. You need to be the brains of this outfit! :D
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon May 01, 2017 8:22 am

Constructeur wrote:just my .02 from a guy that used to get cut up all the time, but try the kids neosporin, it's lotion based and soaks in better.

..and no more oyster runs without booties, those are sharp as hell. You need to be the brains of this outfit! :D

Thanks...Dog shoes are on order.

In your experience, can I reasonably expect it to heal in time for the test or should I scratch? It isn't imperative that I run him in this test. I would like to, but don't have to.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Mon May 01, 2017 10:00 am

To heal it up the fastest, bet some Vetericyn and spray it on a few times a day.
The stuff is amazing.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Mon May 01, 2017 10:00 am

To heal it up the fastest, bet some Vetericyn and spray it on a few times a day.
The stuff is amazing.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:30 pm

If you can keep your dog from licking the wound, it will heal faster. I realize that's nearly impossible, but still true.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Tue May 02, 2017 12:15 am

JONOV wrote:
Constructeur wrote:just my .02 from a guy that used to get cut up all the time, but try the kids neosporin, it's lotion based and soaks in better.

In your experience, can I reasonably expect it to heal in time for the test or should I scratch? It isn't imperative that I run him in this test. I would like to, but don't have to.

I wouldn't scratch, but my dog is a war machine. You know your dog best, what's your intuition tell you?...keep in mind there is really no harm in running him later this Summer or in the Fall.

Best of luck with whichever route you go.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue May 02, 2017 10:28 am

Constructeur wrote:
JONOV wrote:

I wouldn't scratch, but my dog is a war machine. You know your dog best, what's your intuition tell you?...keep in mind there is really no harm in running him later this Summer or in the Fall.

Best of luck with whichever route you go.

That's the thing...He'd run through a fire for birds. I've already ran him in an NA test, and he did well, but I can't help but thinking there were a few factors outside of our control that led to the track going not going as well as it could have for him. I'd like to see if we can improve on that.

My main concern is making the cut worse. I was raised with a "play hurt" mentality and while it has t times served me well, it has hurt me, and I don't need to pass it on to my dog and I don't want it supercede the wisest course of action.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Constructeur » Wed May 03, 2017 12:21 am

If you already have your NA done, let your dog heal up and then get cracking after the UT. :D
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Healthcare