My PP almost killed my DD

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

My PP almost killed my DD

Postby oldtimer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:50 pm

My 10 year old DD could not move off of the couch for 3 days. Pinched nerve in the back. I thought she obliterated the disc. She came out of it today. Thank God! I spent the entire last night holding her, and comforting her as she moaned and squealed and panted with pain. Come to find out that my PP has been humping her in false heat. Really hurt her. I feel like a terrible pet owner for not recognizing it earlier.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: My PP almost killed my DD

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:32 am

I hope your girl is on the mend quickly.

This is why my dogs are kenneled separately when Im not home with them. In addition to fightis, it prevents a host of other issues that wouldn't otherwise be picked up on.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dflorea » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:54 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she's doing better!
Dflorea
Pup
Pup

Postby Urban_Redneck » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:20 am

If you can find green lipped mussel supplement, it really can help with the joint pain if that's part of her discomfort.

Good luck to the pup.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Duckdon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I hope your girl is on the mend quickly.

This is why my dogs are kenneled separately when Im not home with them. In addition to fightis, it prevents a host of other issues that wouldn't otherwise be picked up on.

Yep
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:56 pm

My best bird dog ever is a parapalegic. Surgery is 10,000 dollars, and may not work. She is 9 1/2 years old. I bought a K9 kart for her. It arrives tomorrow. I am crushed, but the vet said that my PP may well have contributed, but this was years of hard hunting also. I cannot wait to see her attitude change once this wheel chair arrives. Truly great company and product. She is so bored right now.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Very Sorry to read this news. Hoping for the best for both of you.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:06 am

oldtimer wrote:My best bird dog ever is a parapalegic. Surgery is 10,000 dollars, and may not work. She is 9 1/2 years old. I bought a K9 kart for her. It arrives tomorrow. I am crushed, but the vet said that my PP may well have contributed, but this was years of hard hunting also. I cannot wait to see her attitude change once this wheel chair arrives. Truly great company and product. She is so bored right now.

Wow, that escalated. If the disk was that bad, it could have blown the next time she got up from bed.

Is she able to empty her bladder on her own?
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:16 am

you might take the dog to a university vet program .... you'd get availability of MRI/CT and a prognosis that would be believable. The notion that your PP was to fault is absurd.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:57 am

I purchased a k9-cart and we went for a nice walk. Not a long one. I am going to start her on microcurrent. I am not saying that my PP caused the injury completely, but he contributed to it for certain. I hold no grudges, it is my fault.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SamuelTommy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:42 am

oldtimer wrote:My 10 year old DD could not move off of the couch for 3 days. Pinched nerve in the back. I thought she obliterated the disc after I purchased barnett strings for my compound bow. Lucklily, she came out of it today. Thank God! I spent the entire last night holding her, and comforting her as she moaned and squealed and panted with pain. Come to find out that my PP has been humping her in false heat. Really hurt her. I feel like a terrible pet owner for not recognizing it earlier.

oh no. sorry to hear that, I hope shes doing better. glad to hear she came out of it a bit today.
SamuelTommy
Pup
Pup

Postby oldtimer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:49 am

I have a positive update. I purchased a K9 cart. Company is out of Washington. Great customer service. I have been walking her on short walks for close to 2 weeks. Today she jumped out of the wheel chair, so we went on a normal walk WITHOUT the chair! She still is FAR from recovered, but she is such a fighter. She rehabs like Adrian P. Her eyes no longer look at me for help, they look at me with determination and purpose again. Will she be strong enough to hunt again? I don't know yet, but I will never bet against this stubborn Kraut. I just hope her disc has stabilized for the duration of her life.
If any of you ever have a dog that goes down with a severe back injury, purchase a K9 cart and rehab your dog as much as possible.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:40 pm

Love K9 carts. Have seen many a dog start walking again after rehab and a cart gave them the will to try.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion