Early Goose Season Video

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Early Goose Season Video

Postby HUNT 24/7 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Got some video of a few of our 2016 hunts, this was the first hunt of the year in 2016. As usual, we can't shoot, can't call & the dog was to wound up to focus! Gotta love it!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7GPRK-sIdw
HUNT 24/7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Early Goose Season Video

Postby jlw034 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Very nice man.

Said it before, I'll say it again...you gave me hope that a DD could be a goose/duck dog.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 pm

great vid ... what kind of limits you guys have .. ??
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:35 pm

You have to watch and see how many guys they hunt with ..... :D
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Another great video. Thanks.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby HUNT 24/7 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:56 pm

jlw034 wrote:Very nice man.

Said it before, I'll say it again...you gave me hope that a DD could be a goose/duck dog.

Thanks! I honestly think they make an awesome waterfowl dog, can be handled, their search & nose is second to none, pretty solid combo.

woodboro wrote:great vid ... what kind of limits you guys have .. ??

Early goose season is 8, regular season is 5 geese & 6 ducks. There were 4 guns in this hunt.
HUNT 24/7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:25 pm

24/7,
as a retriever guy and someone that has always advocated that Vdogs could do good retriever work, I will say very nice work!

I suspect that whoever was handling the dog had some good influence from the ret side of things.

I would suggest the vdoggers here look closely at this.

Dog was Very steady. didn't break on birds or shot. Dog was whistled trained. Handler was able to control dog and send him to the bird if the dog needed help.

Retrieves seemed to be fairly short judging by camera and amount of time it took dog to get to bird. I would love to see this dog handle a long cripple.

What we saw was a result of a good dog and good training. Maybe very good training.

So Kudos to you!!!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby HUNT 24/7 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Kiger2 wrote:24/7,
as a retriever guy and someone that has always advocated that Vdogs could do good retriever work, I will say very nice work!

I suspect that whoever was handling the dog had some good influence from the ret side of things.

I would suggest the vdoggers here look closely at this.

Dog was Very steady. didn't break on birds or shot. Dog was whistled trained. Handler was able to control dog and send him to the bird if the dog needed help.

Retrieves seemed to be fairly short judging by camera and amount of time it took dog to get to bird. I would love to see this dog handle a long cripple.

What we saw was a result of a good dog and good training. Maybe very good training.

So Kudos to you!!!

Wow! Thank you!
I am the owner, handler & trainer, I followed a modified version of Smartworks, for the retriever side of things, it took a little time to get the control & not lose his natural drive. I train with a good friend, his lab Otter is a grand master hunter & is in most of our videos, so, Yup! Ive been influenced for sure! Haha

Yes these were all pretty short retrieves & ill take it on the first hunt of the year! Lol! I didn't get much film last season as Id have liked to, so unfortunately I don't have any video of long blinds, but he handles them great! My idea of a long blind in hunting conditions is 200 yards, he ran several between 100 - 200 yards & a few out to 250 with 1 over 300, (I run a GPS collar). He doesn't line perfect but will take a cast no problem, angle backs as well, usually gets to the bird with 1-2 casts, sometimes none.
HUNT 24/7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Even field trial dogs don't always take perfect lines. Its the ability to give corrections and have them followed which is critical.

Keep up the good work!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms