chicken chasing

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

chicken chasing

Postby Falk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:01 pm

I guess I gotta break my 4 month old pudelpointer to chickens. today he got around me when i opened a gate and he gave the girls a good run for their money. Unfortunately, this all took place in front of the missus who is quite protective of her girls.

So whats the drill? let him get running on them and spark him? does this have the potential to carry over to other birds?
Falk
Pup
Pup

Re: chicken chasing

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:18 pm

A 4 months I would not be "sparking" the puppy on anything. Keep him on a check cord and away from the chickens.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Depends on the type of chicken. :)

20161008_094405.jpg

At 4 months, I doubt he's collar conditioned yet, so exactly what AG said.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GFORCE » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:29 pm

We have the same issue. 2 yo PP male. We trained him not to kill the kittens by making him lay down and putting the kittens on top of him and let them crawl all over him. If he started to get anxious or aggressive we calmed him down. Now he is awesome with the cats. But will run down a ferrel cat in a heart beat. Its been more difficult with the chickens to do that and I didnt want to confuse him because I want to hunt birds! We also have a hen mallard that thinks its a chicken. To date he has killed only one chicken that took to many liberties flying out of the run. Their flight feathers have since been clipped. I have been taking him in the yard and into the run with me and whoaing him and telling him NO. So far so good. BUT I would never leave him alone with the birds. I am hoping that eventually like in 4-5 yr when we retire we can have cats, dogs and fowl all running around the yard! Not sure that is going happen though. His prey drive is very high. This week he has killed 5 opossums. Good luck! I know how hard it is when her one of her Girls gets hurt or worse.
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:42 pm

A good male DD has been known to choke his chicken. :twisted:
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 pm

we have chickens, ducks, pigeons, cats .... and a PP. I can say unequivocally that an ecollar works and it doesn't interfere with hunting prowess. Not sure, but probably why people don't want to use an ecollar on young dogs has more to do with trying to force training measures on them when they're too immature to be learning that kind of stuff. I think this is different though.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GFORCE » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:13 am

Bruce

So can you leave your PP unsupervised with the birds? I have thought about using the e-collar for this but was a little
hesitant for obvious reasons. It would nice to not have to worry about it.
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

An E-collar doesn't need to be turned up to, fry, to get the message across. I agree with Bruce. A pup needs to learn his/her limitations right from the get go.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:54 am

GFORCE wrote:13 am

Bruce

So can you leave your PP unsupervised with the birds? I have thought about using the e-collar for this but was a little
hesitant for obvious reasons. It would nice to not have to worry about it.

Two WPGs and a PP. WPGs are old and the PP is 2 1/2. All three dogs are totally Ok around our two cats inside house and the two older dogs are totally OK around the birds outside unsupervised. The PP is learning, and is OK with cats but I wouldn't trust her around birds unsupervised yet. Mostly I say "leave it" when it looks like she'd like to take one out but it doesn't hurt to establish the ground rules by setting them up for failure ad then hammering them once (and an occasional nick reminder thereafter) just for good measure. The ecollar is a stronger deterrent than just yelling.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:23 pm

orhunter wrote:An E-collar doesn't need to be turned up to, fry, to get the message across. I agree with Bruce. A pup needs to learn his/her limitations right from the get go.

I agree but at 4 months old I use my foot on the check cord the puppy is dragging, restraint, no and controlling the situation and the stimulus e.g. keep the chickens up in a coop when the puppy is on the prowl. Plenty of time to use an ecollar later and I do.

It should be mentioned for the sake of the puppy and the OP, it depends a lot on how strong willed the specific puppy is. I did not "spark" my now 13 year old dog at 4 months of age, but could have gotten away with it as he has been extremely strong willed from day one. My current puppy might have been ruined had I done something so foolish.

Bruce just posted above he is still working on breaking his PP at 2.5 years old. No one has sufficient information about this 4 month old puppy to be encouraging the OP to "spark" it for chasing what may be the first birds it has ever encountered.

Use a check cord and keep the puppy away from the chickens for now.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:02 pm

I have a 3 year old PP and 3 chicken tractors with about 15 hens total that get to free range a few days per week for a while. I would be crazy to let my chickens out when my dog is roaming. They would be dead in a heart beat. In fact, some have died this way by accident a time or two. I could see a griff being more likely to do this than a PP. They are just wired a bit different from my limited experience. I'd say that you better get used to them not being together, but could be wrong. I certainly would not be using the E-collar on this pup to deter it from chickens or any other bird if you want to use it as a bird dog. It needs a whole lot of bird contact to know birds are good before selectively teaching it which kinds are not. I do use the e-collar now on occasion to deter mine from running around the chicken tractor/coops, but he has had a ton of positive bird contact before I started that.

I had a young, softer weim over at my house the other day to train. He pointed a couple of birds in launchers then ran over to my pigeon coop. The owner used the e collar on the dog to get it away. The next few launchers the dog winded the birds and obviously went the other direction.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Falk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:43 pm

thanks for the responses He is a bold pup with tons of prey drive I building a chicken tractor as we speak so Im gonna hold off on the e-collar fro now. but he got out again and in a heartbeat had a chicken pinned. Drama with a capital d. to his credit he has a fairly soft mouth and the chicken lives to lay again my wife however is not happy with us (me and Gus)
Falk
Pup
Pup

Postby woodboro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Falk wrote:thanks for the responses He is a bold pup with tons of prey drive I building a chicken tractor as we speak so Im gonna hold off on the e-collar fro now. but he got out again and in a heartbeat had a chicken pinned. Drama with a capital d. to his credit he has a fairly soft mouth and the chicken lives to lay again my wife however is not happy with us (me and Gus)

Sorry about your wife. Bird pressure on any girl , can force them to look for a different type of meal.
You need to ask your pup if chicken food is strong in his kibbles , it could be why he wants the live thing (BBQ sauce works much better w/grilled chicken)
While you are asking how the flavor is , advise him that grilled vs. baked seems much better with a brutski.

hope this helps :lol:
Handlers : might not be as smart as dogs or chickens now < wife.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Training