Out with a Whimper

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Out with a Whimper

Postby azquailhntr » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Yes folks...it's over.  Kaput.  Finne.  Done.  The season has finally ended in the great state of AZ.  We can no longer chase the little Quail in anger or rather with gun in hand.  I was fortunate enough to get out after it for one last Hoorah.  The season for Mearns this year was not as good as in years past but, there were birds to be found if you were willing to put in the work.  I was fortunate to see my 5 year old GSP, Lexi, really come into her own and put on a show each and every time I had her on the ground.  She just got better and better as the year wore on.  It was truly a treat.  

I took a friend of mine from work out for the last day that had never hunted over pointing dogs before.  He brought his dad along and we had a great time.  It was a hot windy day in the field and made for a really tough last day of hunting.  We put in the miles and found a couple of birds but, it was brutal.  I always love the reaction I see when a person walks into a tight holding Mearns in front of the dogs and then completely whiff's the shot.  The best part is that they never seem to care.  The experience is what drives them and we had a great time...missed shots and all.  Can't wait to chase them again next year!

1st point of the day...Beauty!

Divided find.  My Pup, Paisley is starting to figure it out too.  Gonna have to keep her training up.

A little hard to see but both dogs are in the shade there on point.  Those Quail find the shade on the side hills when the heat starts to rise.

Just before the Whiff... 

The only bird of the day.  This is the first shot from my new to me SKB 500.  Not bad.  I think I might retire it already having an unblemished record.

Turn Out the Lights...The Parties Over!  Until next year...
azquailhntr
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Out with a Whimper

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks for sharing your exploits over the season. Who bred your shorthairs? How warm are these temps you're hunting in? Can't get over that good lookin' country....
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby azquailhntr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:39 pm

mtlhdr wrote:Thanks for sharing your exploits over the season. Who bred your shorthairs? How warm are these temps you're hunting in? Can't get over that good lookin' country....

Hey mtlhdr...thanks! Lexi is out of Highland Gundogs in Cedar City UT. Paisley is a Pudelpointer out of Cedarwoods. The last day was around 80 by mid day. started out pretty warm around 62 and went up quick from there. Both are used to it living down here but, you can really see the difference in the number of finds and also the surety of the find. in the cold They nail the points and there is no doubt where the birds are. in the heat they still find them but, it is more of a guessing/relocating game. The one I shot was pointed, relocated, run off of, pointed, relocated, wind switched and the next step put the bird in the air. i was about to leave the area :? Got to trust em in the heat. the birds are there.
azquailhntr
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Thanks for sharing. How is the PP doing in Arizona? How does it range compared to your GSP?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:48 pm

azquailhntr wrote: The last day was around 80 by mid day. started out pretty warm around 62 and went up quick from there.

Yeah, that's warm. I don't really like hunting my shorthair in the 60s. The heat plus the dryness makes it a challenge. We'll go for a couple hours and then call it. I too am curious about the heat tolerance differences between the PP and GSP.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:45 pm

That truly is some nice dog work and really nice country. One of these years I'll make it down there.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby azquailhntr » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks All! it was a fun season. The PP is pretty good at the get go but, she peters out a lot faster than the GSP. She is also only 1.5 years old so still in the puppy phase. She ranges pretty good though. that got better as the season progressed. My GSP is always hunting, never sits still when we are in the field. she isn't a big ranging dog but, always active. The PP is that way for about 45 minutes and then she is pretty close unless there are birds. Seems to me she just gets a little bored sometimes. We have a lot of training and trialing to do this off season so we will see how she progresses. She is in pretty good shape right now but, just went into heat as well. I have to keep her in shape or she really shuts down fast in this warm weather. We will see. I will try to keep some updates this summer on here.
azquailhntr
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Looking forward to them... I'm a two breed guy as well... GSPs and GWPs
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster