Moderator: Moderator Pack

AZ Ban on Hunting MT Lion and Bobcats

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:32 pm

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: AZ Ban on Hunting MT Lion and Bobcats

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Those groups will never stop. Regulation by regulation, state by state. Some states will stand against them, many will not. They'll never give up until everything is banned. Pretty sad reality. I live in the epicenter of it and I've never been more pessimistic as we're midway through implementation of the lead hunting ban.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Anyone in Arizona should get a hold of Oregons Mule deer plan. A few years ago they took 5 of our game management units and took a bunch of cougars out. Sportsmen cant use dogs but the govt hired guys could.

One of the units, The Steens in SE oregon had historically had extremely good mule deer populations. 92 93 we had a hard winter that took a lot of the deer. Cougars had also returned to the mountain in the mid to late eighties. Oregon banned hunting cougars with dogs in 94. The mule deer never recovered. We hunted it in 89 and saw 17 bucks in one mooring. I had the tag in 96 and we saw one DEER in the same area. They took around 60 cougars off the mountain and the results are showing that the herd is rebounding. Age class of bucks being shot is increasing and I saw more deer last spring down there than I had since 92.

Arizona needs to get as much data as possible. Oregon also has down a bit of research on how many deer a cougar will eat a week. That data should available too.

Better pull the stops out or your deer population is going to suffer.
Goo dluck.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:03 am

Doubtful that facts matter to many any more, but to Kiger's point. A politician might be willing to listen to the economic impact of declining revenues to the state as game populations decrease. Predators native to the area have their place, but managing them with reasonable, effective Sporting means (such as hounds) also have their place. Large sums of money are spent by Sportsman pursuing Elk, Coues and Mule Deer in AZ. When game populations plummet so will those revenues.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:01 am

The bleeding hearts are migrating from CA and have no clue about biology. I doubt we'll ever lose the take of cats here in Utah. People need to realize that if you are going to "manage" the game populations, you also need to manage their predators.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:12 pm

STait wrote:The bleeding hearts are migrating from CA and have no clue about biology. I doubt we'll ever lose the take of cats here in Utah. People need to realize that if you are going to "manage" the game populations, you also need to manage their predators.

I think it will spread like cancer and each ban on any legitimate form of hunting with dogs, is a step closer to banning hunting birds with dogs. The people promoting this legislation are against all forms of hunting and the bans on hunting large predators are just low hanging fruit. Their fight is our fight.

I hope all on this forum living in AZ will contact their members in State Congress and let them know their vote opposes this legislation. And I hope all will consider donating to the fight against this legislation.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm afraid CO will be next as they are being inundated with Liberal bleeding hearts. Even their game commission is changing. AZ must have a weakness in their game department and a very small population of hunters vs antis. It's coming and it's been coming for a long time. This cancer you speak of. And, unfortunately our passionate participants are loosing ground. Would be interesting to see how the average age of hunters, or field trialers has changed. Ain't for the better. Most of the folks trialing dogs in AF horseback trials are getting fairly old, and not many young people taking the reins, for many reasons.

I thought CA might have changed their rules back to the old days after a few folks were killed by lions. But, I think they've figured out how to handle it without going back. Low hanging fruit......for good reason.

I'm a taxidermist and mounted 3 pumas just this month, I'd hate to see it go. Also hated to see the import of African lions go, as we usually mounted a few every year. Thanks Cecil and social media.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Here in AZ we have gone the other way. We now have daylong 24 hours to hunt mtn lions in some units and bag limits are up. Some crack pot in the Dirty T does not have me worried. The AZGFD is a well respected group and are trusted and their management decisions are respected.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:47 am

LongHammer wrote:Here in AZ we have gone the other way. We now have daylong 24 hours to hunt mtn lions in some units and bag limits are up. Some crack pot in the Dirty T does not have me worried. The AZGFD is a well respected group and are trusted and their management decisions are respected.

You need to go the top and follow the link. There is a bill introduced in AZ to ban hunting Mt. Lions and Bobcats. That is why I posted it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:49 am

I have hope, that the state that continually elected Joe Arpaio, that the state that presented a Tea Party primary candidate that gave McCain a run for his money, has enough sense to put this down.

Maine was successful in thwarting anti bear hunting legislation. I hope AZ can as well.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Vote no on 1182. The AZGFD is responsible for managing our wildelife, not some crackpot Senator from the "Dirty T" thanks.

Message to senator sent.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:05 am

What year did bear hunting with hounds die in CA? Can they hunt hogs with dogs? What about mountain lions and other large game? What years did they die if they have? Hopefully Arizona, a bordering state can hold their ground and fight this back. If they can it will likely keep things from spewing across the rest of the states.... Act as a firewall of sorts.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:31 am

JTracyII wrote:What year did bear hunting with hounds die in CA? Can they hunt hogs with dogs? What about mountain lions and other large game?

2013 was the first year of the dog-bear ban. We can still run a single dog per hunter on deer and dogs on pigs. Mountain lion hunting has been banned for years, since the early 90s I believe.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:56 am

Predator issues are all over the country. Midwest has boat loads of wolves, and at one time the Whitetail deer was the king of the woods.
Bear were the most dangerous , well the wolves claimed the top spot now.
Cougars have their place as well as bobcat.
This past autumn I took a bobcat , it took 10 years to get a kill tag.
Some states , Wyoming, Montana bobcat are running ramped because of the rabbit population.
I was hoping to go on a cougar hunt in 2016 but snow conditions were crap , so this year I will be doing that.
AZ has some of the largest , and toughest cougars around. Anyone claiming a kill had worked very hard to get a trophy.

Hope AZ retains there hunt seasons..... I always laughed at CA. (cougar , people conflicts increased dramatically after the hunt ban)
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion