Help.

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Help.

Postby fridgwayID » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm looking for someone in the Boise area to help me get my pup steady to scent. She's a two year GWP that has been hunting for two seasons now and is doing decently. She will sight point and hold anything but with scent she flash points and then dives in. I have property that we could train on and one (pathetic, I know) border launcher. Like I said, any help would be greatly appreciated.
fridgwayID
Pup
Pup

Re: Help.

Postby Duckdon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:22 pm

Look around for a NAVHDA Chapter in your area.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Beech » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Look up Hun Hill kennels. Theyre on facebook too. Western Idaho I believe.
Beech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:44 pm

What Beech said. Pretty sure Frank is in or near Weiser.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Have you tried her on the whoa post? Look on line for Huntsmith. I helped a fellow in our club with his GWP and she got a 2nd pz in UT. That is as good a handler as he was. The dog was very good.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Forrest,
The Treasure Valley NAVHDA chapter is holding our annual meeting next Saturday (2/25) in Ontario, OR. 11am at the Plaza Inn. I will be going and would like to see your dog if you can bring her. It will also be a great opportunity to meet several people in the chapter, especially those who will be putting on the club training days in the Boise area throughout the spring and summer.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby fridgwayID » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks for all the input. I've been talking to Frank from hun hills and will.most likely be working with him.

Kelly, thanks for the info. I currently have about 100 dozen snow goose decoys ready to go into a field for a hunt on Saturday, so I'm not sure I'll be able to attend. If anything changes, I will be there though.
fridgwayID
Pup
Pup

Postby Hunters Edge » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:52 am

fridgwayID wrote:I'm looking for someone in the Boise area to help me get my pup steady to scent. She's a two year GWP that has been hunting for two seasons now and is doing decently. She will sight point and hold anything but with scent she flash points and then dives in. I have property that we could train on and one (pathetic, I know) border launcher. Like I said, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just as important is how this behavior started. If this started with already two season, did you or someone hunting with you started shooting those birds she busted? Or shot birds she did not point but flushed? Or did you run your dog with a flushing dog or another dog with this behavior monkey see, monkey does? Another possibility is just running with another dog that steals point or your dogs competitiveness causes him instead of honoring to steal point. The dog trying to steal point get closer and many times bust birds, it now becomes behavior if not corrected.

So if you or have someone else correct the dog from busting birds, then go back to what caused the dog to bust birds in the first place, your dog will go back to busting birds.

It is crucial for a young dog, not to shoot birds that have not been properly handled, roaded, busted, or even just flushed birds. Not saying that's what happened the above points out several other ways it can come about. Last but not least if a young or even an experienced dog gets into multiple birds can cause them to come unglued and make mistakes.

I would try to figure out what contributed to causing this behavior and avoid it so it does not reappear or repeat itself.

For a quick and effective fix just train stop to flush. The dog anticipating if flushed he will have to stop anyway will not flush or bust bird. Unless you go back to whatever started it in the first place.
Hunters Edge Kennel where Versatile Champions are born. Call on expected whelped dates or breedings, hunters only, please.
Hunters Edge
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Training