Flea/tick/heartworm, etc

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Flea/tick/heartworm, etc

Postby overit2 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:12 am

Hello all,

More newbie questions- there is SO much info online, but for dogs that are or will be in the fields I'm thinking things might be a bit different. First of all, I live in GA- we DO have a flea/mosquito problem here. Ticks? I don't see them in my backyard but being that our Weim will be starting NAVHDA training days and be out in fields, it's probably important.

Previously I had a beautiful Boston princess who sadly only lived to 10 years old (heart failure) she only had to have flea meds during the warmer weather and could give her a break in winter. I never did give heartworm and she tested negative her whole life. BUT, again, w/this dog being out in fields, near water more, etc....I think it's important.

What do you recommend? Any concerns w/the 6 month heartworm shot? Trifexis I hear so much bad about- Flea/tick combo? I'm kind of thinking of not combining as much, they scare me a bit. I'm ok w/some level of pesticide if it keeps from critters/fleas on them which is miserable. Is Nexguard monthly or the shot? Advantix vs Vecrtra, etc...

We did have a flea infestation once w/my boston and cat and it was HELL to eradicate the house and them.

Thanks in advance
overit2
Started
Started

Re: Flea/tick/heartworm, etc

Postby randomnut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:20 pm

I use Heartgard and NexGard every month, regardless of the time of year.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:30 pm

I urge everyone to research what is relevant in your geographic location, or one you might travel to before treating your dog(s) automatically. Also be aware that things are changing rapidly due to global warming, statistics are constantly evolving.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckman056 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:02 am

We have always used Heartguard and front line, with our Labs. Will probably do the same thing with our new DD pup. I have been looking at the Happy Jack sprays too.
Duckman056
Started
Started

Postby CWT » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:12 am

Here is what I do for me and the dogs.

For me I spray my body with deet. Mainly for chiggers but it seems to help with ticks too. I spray my clothes with permethrin. I buy the concentrate and mix my own but you can buy the sprays. The combo of the two works well.

For the dogs they get Frontline and just before going into the field they get sprayed with a pyrethrin product. I think it helps repel the ticks at least for a short period of time. When I get back to the truck or home they get another spray of pyrethrin. I should say I don't soak them with the pyrethrin just a very light quick mist.
CWT
Started
Started

Postby blue04 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:07 pm

CWT wrote:For me I spray my body with deet. Mainly for chiggers but it seems to help with ticks too. I spray my clothes with permethrin.

In my experience, Deet does absolutely nothing to repel ticks. Permethrin on my clothes and boots works.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare