Anal glands leaking

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Anal glands leaking

Postby Dmog » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:41 pm

Anal glands are a little swollen and leaking in the house. I'm afraid my dog will be banned from the house if it doesn't get better. Any ideas? Diet hasn't changed in 3 years, using Dr. Tim's Pursuit. Decent fiber I think. Started about 6 months ago off and on.
Mog: Half man, half woolly dog.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Anal glands leaking

Postby orhunter » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:48 pm

Have never done it but local vet says you can clean out the glands yourself. He didn't tell me how but the info should be available on-line. Pick your finger.....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:08 am

Our rates terrier has had this problem in the past. His stools were fairly soft, which doesn't help. Supposedly harder stools will put pressure on them at a daily basis, and keep from leaking. We switched to Pro Plan sensitive and it helped firm them up. No problems since.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Get the glands emptied by a vet, this will start you off at empty and also allow the vet to check for infection.

Add a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to each meal for additional fiber. If this doesn't do the trick it's best to have your vet show you how it's done. You can pay us to do it monthly, but it's not difficult once you learn, and I don't know a vet or tech anywhere that isn't happy to leave the task to someone else. It's better learned in person when you can have someone describe exactly how this gland feels on this day to help direct your efforts the first time.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Anal glands seem to be one of the problems created with dogs living in the house.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:43 pm

hicntry wrote:Anal glands seem to be one of the problems created with dogs living in the house.

Maybe. Or maybe people just don't notice anal glands leaking on dogs that live outside 100% of the time.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Your probably right Blue.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:06 am

I've got a 13 + year old that about 1 1/2 years ago , blow out his anal gland through (next to the anus)
It scabs over , then breaks open periodically.
My vet informed me of the cost to remove it , but wanted to take a byopcse (spl.) but the cost was to much for me and an old dog.

He was leaking before the blow out, obviously he doesn't have cancer , cause he's been around for close to 2 years. Only issue is when the thin
wall breaks he starts bleeding , so I crate him in the house when it happens.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Aren't green beans supposed to be a good dietary addition for anal gland health?
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Have your Vet (or a Vet) remove them. I have had more than one birddog start to develop anal gland problems: it only gets worse as time goes on. Pay for the surgery and you will be ahead of the stinky game.
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:08 pm

We get a whif every so often from our pup as well...nasty stuff. I mentioned it to our vet and he wants to take a "look" and see if they are impacted or the occasional squirt is normal for Bear. Then he explained the surgery and it is no joke...sounds like the easy part is when the dog gets its ass ripped out. They keep the dog for at least a week due to the fact it has little control over when and where they dump-down.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:47 pm

bhennessy wrote:We get a whif every so often from our pup as well...nasty stuff. I mentioned it to our vet and he wants to take a "look" and see if they are impacted or the occasional squirt is normal for Bear. Then he explained the surgery and it is no joke...sounds like the easy part is when the dog gets its ass ripped out. They keep the dog for at least a week due to the fact it has little control over when and where they dump-down.

If that's what your vet said, find a different surgeon. There's a slight risk of incontinence, but it should be an outpatient procedure and (knock on wood) I've never had a dog have difficulties post-op.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:58 am

I agree with MissKiwi,

I have had 3 dogs develop anal gland problems and all 3 have had them removed. The procedure is the same as de-scenting a skunk; as I understand it, the dogs rectum is turned inside out and the anal glands are sort of skinned around and cut out. I had a vet tell me, "It's a pain-in-the-ass to do but not a difficult procedure." (He didn't say it might be the same for the dog, either)

JBH
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:42 am

Just-a-bird-hunter wrote:I agree with MissKiwi,
...the dogs rectum is turned inside out and the anal glands are sort of skinned around and cut out....
JBH

That sounds like a day at the spa....makes me cringe to visualize. I think I like the fact that our vet is a on the conservative side and considers yanking my dog's kiester out and carving it up with a laser beam serious surgery. Plus, my wife and I both work s if there's a decent chance of him not having control over his bowls for a few days, then I'm happy to have him stay at the clinic. Its better than coming home to a house that smells like crap.
Last edited by bhennessy on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:37 am

bhennessy,

If your vet is experienced with the procedure, I am told it is not a terribly difficult procedure. I have some relatives in Central Illinois, and some of their dogs are having anal gland problems, and the Vets they use are expressing much concern and consternation over this procedure! I don't know if Veterinary Students attending the University of Illinois are trained in this procedure, of if they DO NOT want to practice on a dog that will be euthanized, but it SHOULD NOT be that big of a deal. The dogs that I have had anal gland removal surgery performed upon, spent an extra day or so at Vet's kennel (I assume for leakage issues), and were sent home with pain meds, and antibiotics for both gram positive bacteria and gram negative bacteria. For about 5 years, my hybrid setter (Gordon X English) had the office record for largest anal glands removed, until a Rottweiler beat him! None of the dogs had any ill effects: no leakage, no incontinence, nothing. The surgery was not inexpensive, but worth not hearing a dog constantly licking its butthole, scooting across the carpet, all those enjoyable things.

JBH
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare