Dog Food

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dog Food

Postby CWT » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:56 am

I am thinking of switching dog food for hunting season. The current feed has rice as a carbohydrate source but thinking of switching to a feed with corn. What are ya'lls thoughts?
CWT
Started
Started

Re: Dog Food

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:40 am

Carbohydrates are carbohydrates. As long as the digestability is high (should be >90%, available only by calling the food companies) the source has not been shown to make a difference.

Nothing wrong with trying out a new food to see how it works for your dog, but anything beyond that is conjecture also.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:43 pm

I would increase Fat and not Carbs.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:25 am

+1 Doc
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Birddogs » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 am

I'm interested ....buy a dog food with higher fat content or supplement fat with what .

When I didn't buy such high end dog food I supplemented with Canned during peak activities .

Thnx
Birddogs
Started
Started

Postby linderhof » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:26 am

I feed a quality food year round and my dog is free fed. Always food in the bowl. His consumption rises during hunting season but he eats what wants/needs. He tends to mostly eat in the evening @7:00 pm. I would just supplement your dog in season. Not sure changing brands would be the best route. If your dog food is a 20/30 ratio you should be good but that is a generalization and not all dogs are the same.
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Doc E » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:31 am

Birddogs wrote:I'm interested ....buy a dog food with higher fat content or supplement fat with what .

When I didn't buy such high end dog food I supplemented with Canned during peak activities .

Thnx

Increase fat with coconut oil.
Canned food is 74% water :puppydogeyes:

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:59 pm

I fed chicken leg quarters during the winter because my dog were outside. One piece of chicken a day cut their kibble in half. !0 lb bags of leg quarters ran 59 to 69 cents a lb. Dogs digest raw protein, fat and bone better than processed food.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CWT » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:11 am

So the reason I had asked this question is that I read a couple of articles ( one from Purina and one from a University ) that said corn supplied a sustained level of energy while rice provided more of an instant burst.
CWT
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:17 am

That is a comparison of rice and corn.....both fillers in dog food.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CWT » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:13 am

Grains are a very important part of a dogs diet. Good research shows this time and time again. Anyway I didn't post this for those grain free discussions.

hicntry wrote:That is a comparison of rice and corn.....both fillers in dog food.
CWT
Started
Started

Postby slistoe » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:40 pm

I have found corn to be better than rice.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:12 pm

CWT wrote:Grains are a very important part of a dogs diet. Good research shows this time and time again. Anyway I didn't post this for those grain free discussions.

hicntry wrote:That is a comparison of rice and corn.....both fillers in dog food.

Point taken.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Spy Car » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:15 pm

CWT wrote:So the reason I had asked this question is that I read a couple of articles ( one from Purina and one from a University ) that said corn supplied a sustained level of energy while rice provided more of an instant burst.

Grains are a very important part of a dogs diet. Good research shows this time and time again. Anyway I didn't post this for those grain free discussions.

Carbohydrates (in any form) cause the sort of "burst of energy followed by a crash" that you describe. Corn, rice, or other starch is immaterial.

Carbohydrates (grains included) are not an important part of a dog's diet. They are non-essential, as established by the world's leading authority on canine nutrition the National Research Council. There is nothing in carbohydrates sources that a dog needs.

Feeding carbs instead of fats cuts a dog's stamina. Carbs rapidly raise blood glycogen, and those levels just as rapidly fall under exertion. In contrast, fat metabolism delivers sustained energy. The differences are significant, and proved by studies and experience.

It is not a good idea to rapidly shift a dog to a high-fat diet as there are numerous changes that need to happen from intercellular changes in mitochondria, to the release of the correct digestive enzymes by the pancreas, to digestive issues. But fat is what canines have been shaped by evolution to use the most optimal energy source.

I feed my dog meat, fat, organs, fish, eggs, and bones. No carbs.

Corn may have more oil and protein that rice, but both these are inferior sources that count towards the nutritional totals. Corn oil is a polyunsaturated oil that is inflammatory and not good for dogs. Corn protein is imbalanced in its amino acid profile. So corn's contributions are negative vs good saturated fats and animal proteins.

Bill
Spy Car
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Spy Car » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:16 pm

CWT wrote:So the reason I had asked this question is that I read a couple of articles ( one from Purina and one from a University ) that said corn supplied a sustained level of energy while rice provided more of an instant burst.

Carbohydrates (in any form) cause the sort of "burst of energy followed by a crash" that you describe. Corn, rice, or other starch is immaterial.

Carbohydrates (grains included) are not an important part of a dog's diet. They are non-essential, as established by the world's leading authority on canine nutrition the National Research Council. There is nothing in carbohydrates sources that a dog needs.

Feeding carbs instead of fats cuts a dog's stamina. Carbs rapidly raise blood glycogen, and those levels just as rapidly fall under exertion. In contrast, fat metabolism delivers sustained energy. The differences are significant, and proved by studies and experience.

It is not a good idea to rapidly shift a dog to a high-fat diet as there are numerous changes that need to happen from intercellular changes in mitochondria, to the release of the correct digestive enzymes by the pancreas, to digestive issues. But fat is what canines have been shaped by evolution to use the most optimal energy source.

I feed my dog meat, fat, organs, fish, eggs, and bones. No carbs.

Corn may have more oil and protein that rice, but both these are inferior sources that count towards the nutritional totals. Corn oil is a polyunsaturated oil that is inflammatory and not good for dogs. Corn protein is imbalanced in its amino acid profile. So corn's contributions are negative vs good saturated fats and animal proteins.

Bill
Spy Car
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare