Moving to Twice a Day Feeding Early

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Moving to Twice a Day Feeding Early

Postby JONOV » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:00 am

My GWP puppy (13 Weeks) began, at about 11 weeks, to stop showing as much interest in his noontime meal. He would still eat it all, but he would take a couple hours to do so, and make a bit more of a mess that I would have to clean up with a dustbuster everyday to prevent mice/bugs.

We started feeding him twice a day (the same daily total amount of food) and he now eats the whole meal at once and doesn't play with his food.

All the guides out there say to wait til 6 months at least before you back off from feeding lunch, but none of them say why.

Am I missing something on potential GI or other health problems? I don't think I am but wanted to get a few more opinions.

FWIW, he is lean and at a healthy weight. He never seemed to be rolly polly or chunky as a puppy like so many of them are.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Moving to Twice a Day Feeding Early

Postby hicntry » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:03 am

I have free fed pups for 30 years and never had a problem. Had free feeders in every yard. While you probably can't go to free feeding at this point. Feed however you want and make life easy on yourself.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:30 am

Read your dog, not the manual.

Feed 3 times a day mostly because pups are usually too distracted to eat enough calories for their growing bodies and high energy levels. If your pup eats better twice a day, so be it! I see more dogs too thin because owners didn't increase the food scoop than too fat. You want to see ribs but not hip bones. If he's eating good enough for that, then no worries!
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks. That was what I thought. The Vet two weeks ago didn't say anything about his weight, although I question if he is a bit thin.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:43 am

Run your hand down his back lightly, as if petting him. It's normal to feel the spine in an athletic short haired breed at the arch of the back. You should be able to feel hip bones if you are paying attention, or trying to feel for them, but they shouldn't be prominent. Rib bones should be prominent and visible in short coated breeds, if he has a wooly coat, you should be able to see that last rib at minimum.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby cjm » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:38 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I see more dogs too thin because owners didn't increase the food scoop than too fat.

(minor thread high-jack) do you really see more dogs that are too skinny than too fat??? this would shock me! i think most dogs i see are too fat - even at training and testing events.
cjm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:20 pm

cjm wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:I see more dogs too thin because owners didn't increase the food scoop than too fat.

(minor thread high-jack) do you really see more dogs that are too skinny than too fat??? this would shock me! i think most dogs i see are too fat - even at training and testing events.

Yes, in large breed puppies 10 weeks to 16 weeks age group only. People don't increase calories appropriately for growth, and I frequently see skinny pups ready to take your hands off for a treat. Puppies at that growth stage require exponential increases along with their body growth, and may double or triple caloric needs between vaccine visits.

I absolutely agree with you for all other age groups! People also forget to decrease calories as growth slows, or feed ridiculous amounts of treats etc for their couch potato dogs.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby cjm » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:59 pm

Ahh - got it!
cjm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Healthcare