Is Surgery Really Necessary For Your Dog's CCL Ligamen

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Is Surgery Really Necessary For Your Dog's CCL Ligamen

Postby linderhof » Mon May 30, 2016 2:07 pm

Well my 6yr old Brittany had his TPLO procedure done this morning. Surgeon called to confirm all went well but prior to he suspected miniscus damage which actually was the case. He comes home tomorrow evening and the enormous task of keeping him quiet begins. This dog only stops moving to feed or sleep. I'm quite concerned with keeping him down. Let's cross our fingers.
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby linderhof » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:37 pm

4 days since surgery. All systems go. Drinking, eating and peeing & pooping. They have drugged pretty good so he's sleeping quite a bit. So far so good. Hopefully it continues this way.
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby linderhof » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:36 pm

6 week update: he's healing well, X-rays last week. Vet upgraded his activity level to leashed 20 minute walks. The hinge/bone is healing as hoped and now it muscle targeted physio we are working on. This is going to net out @$5k if nothing else happens.
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:49 pm

Is your pup more comfortable than pre-surgery? Are you happy you did the surgery at this point?
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby linderhof » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:11 pm

He is way better already than pre operation. I also see the progress and muscle tone returning. I have no doubt he will recover nicely and given the physio sessions I actually don't feel like I was scalped. There were quite a few skilled people involved with it all. If we were to compare the same procedure in a human the bill would have been 10x what I paid. My biggest fear is the other side blowing and I hate to put him through that again.
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby woodboro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:11 pm

A topic that I am very familiar with-

My best hunting dog , after about three years into his life , had a CCL problem.
He was diagnosed , and was advised to see the university.
Took him there and went through all of my options.
I chose the less surgery option , and was advised to put in at house arrest , small hand walks for bathroom duties, and when I was gone , to put him in a restricted kennel run.
This was done / outside kennel was 6x4.
Problem with a torn ligament is that the fluid in the joint region will destroy the rest of the ligament.
Obviously he was on med's the whole time.
Bottom line , he was a stick of dynamite , but slowly worked him into a full recovery after the 3 months..
I figured if I could get him to 6-8 years old he would be serviceable.
Fact is he lived to be 15 years old.
In his passing , I wrote a letter to the university , and informed him of his passing , and all the game and memories I will cherish.

Any time surgery is in the equation , get the best advise , and get 1-2 more opinions before doing it.
You may loss a hunting dog , but may have a companion..... so alot is at stake.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby linderhof » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:18 am

I don't think I could put him through the surgery again and from what I read it's 75% likely the other leg will blow. 2 reasons, first I just can't afford it with 2 kids in University and secondly I don't want to put him through that again. I think he will go into semi retirement with very limited "easy" hunts. Presently going through the process of sourcing a second dog.
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Previous

Return to Healthcare