Ripped out toe-nail

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Ripped out toe-nail

Postby Optprime » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:26 am

Yesterday my pup somehow ripped his toenail out on a water retrieve. We took him to the e-clinic and they finished the job he started. They said that another nail would grow back. Has any one seen this happen before and what type of maintentence did you do once the new nail began to grow in. The vet tech suggested nothing be done til the new nail is normal size.
Nothin' like a dog to put a smile on your face and a bird in your hand!
Optprime
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Chaco1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:38 am

Yes I have had dogs tear their nails off. My old Boykin used to rip his dew claws off all the time, finally had them removed.

I have had my dogs split them and rip them up and the only thing you can do is cut them off as close to the foot as possible. Vet did it the first time and showed me how then I did it. Not a pleasant job and it is bloody.

Sometimes if the split is not too bad or not too far down I have used clear nail polish, yes I have painted my dogs nails. SInce it is epoxy based it wil keep it from splitting worse and lets it grow out to trim the split out.

There really isn't anything you can do but let it grow back once the nail is gone however.
Life without a dog is a life but it's not much of one.
Chaco1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GSPmom+2 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:11 am

Guys ,

If it splits, nail polish can trap germs,Being in the grooming biz for so may years I will spare you all the stories I can tell about what nail polish can do to a dogs nails.

Here is what you do, Petsmart, petco, what ever, Find a product called Quik Stop it does work for stuff this this minor (small cuts) or if I have nick a nail in cutting I will use, super glue, try and clean the nail the best you can, dry it will take 2 people sometimes get your blood wiped the other puts the glue on and blow on it use a small dryer but get it dry. do that until the blood stops.

I use the stuff for paper cut take the sting away.

And as far as the nail let it grow back natural, just keep the pups wound clean.
>GSPmom

Unless You are the lead Dog the View never Changes !
GSPmom+2
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:25 am

My oldest dog has had continuois problems with her nails and sometimes I have to take her in and have several cut off because of cracking. I've found the best treatment for things that heal slowly is putting epsom salt and warm water in a squirt bottle and aim the stream directly on the injury. Do this until there is no more bleeding. Cracked nails require super glue and thread.
Last edited by orhunter on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chaco1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:33 pm

ok so give us the procedure for the thead and super glue thing.
Chaco1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Streenie79 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:09 pm

GSPmom+2 wrote:Guys ,

If it splits, nail polish can trap germs,..........

And as far as the nail let it grow back natural, just keep the pups wound clean.

I think GSPMom+2 is right on the money with respect to germs, and keeping the area clean. We had a young pup split a nail fairly deep the evening before she was scheduled to run in a derby trial. We soaked her foot in epsom salt water which eventually helped stop the bleeding. She appeared fine the next day and was able to run in the trial.

When we returned home, the bleeding started again so we made a trip to the vet. Pup was mildly sedated and the nail was cut back well behind the split; the foot was kept wrapped for a day or so. Our vet said the biggest issue with this kind of thing, particularly in a sporting dog, is the potential for infection in the nail....and as such, he had us give an oral antibiotic for about a week. He said while the split was able to naturally clot and "hold" for a time, a dog's normal daily activity would usually cause the split to reopen and increase the possibility of infection and further splitting. Infection in a nail can lead to infection elsewhere in the bone and/or soft tissue of the foot.

Not an uncommon injury, but I'd think one that should be handled... keeping the area clean and disinfected seems to be key. Pup didn't miss a beat....and the nail grew back perfectly and quite quickly.
Streenie79
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GSPmom+2 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:17 pm

Another thing to is kosher salt or sea salt, put it in a squeeze bottle mix your ( salt which ever you prefer,) warm water, if you can soak the foot great if not use the squeeze bottle ,

I can not tell you why but either of the salts mentioned help a wound heal faster. Had wisdom teeth pulled, after a day I started to rinse with the salt water and with in a week and a half my mouth was almost healed, I had to have the stiches pulled out sooner.

it is something else to try.
>GSPmom

GSPmom+2
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Chaco1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:30 pm

Ok so explain to me why nail polish is bad and super glue is ok?

When I have had to cut a nail off a tthe base the vet gave me some clotting agent and had me put it ina gauze pad and put it one the foot right after cutting it. I kept it on long enough for the bleeding to stop. He never really seemd worried about infection.
Chaco1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Scott Linden » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:51 pm

Yuk, yuk, yuk, but a fact of dog life. My only contribution would be the observation that a nail will sometimes regrow at an odd angle. Beyond being funny looking, it might be prone to catching on more stuff, so keep it trimmed up nice & short.

Anybody use a Dremel tool instead of a clipper to trim nails?

Scott
www.scottlindenoutdoors.com
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
Scott Linden
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:32 pm

The epsom salt is to keep the wound clean and promote bleeding which also keeps the wound clean. Like PH said, a small dab of super glue around the nail and just wrap (tightly) the thread into the glue. Doesn't take a whole lot. Use a toothpick to spread the glue not your finger or you and the dog will become one.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:33 pm

Oops, forgot....Yes Scott, the Dremel is the tool of choice. Make sure you select the correct grit for the sanding drum. The finer the better....
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GSPmom+2 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:40 pm

Chaco,

I will do my best,with glue it is an adsive/sealent (sp) you will clean the area first,then put the glue on,it will kill germs why do think sometimes on something that use to take a stich or 2 they glue now, same with how some vets stich the muscles, gule the outside together,they do alot of spays the way healing time is faster.

Nail poilsh- can trap grems under the surface- while I was grooming I had a poodle come in with no toe nails like it had been declawed or something,the lady said a fungal infect, rotted the toe nail off, she will never paint another dogs nails again

IF some one can explain better just jump in
>GSPmom

GSPmom+2
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Chaco1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:53 pm

So what you are saying is the glue has an antiseptic component to it?
Chaco1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GSPmom+2 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:12 pm

Kinda,
>GSPmom

GSPmom+2
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Chaco1 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:08 am

SO if it not a yes the if I clean the nail and sterilize it polish is probaly as good as the glue. I do like the string and glue idea though.

I have tried super glue for first aid on wire cuts, friggin barbed wire. I did t have good results. Vet said it's ok to use but be careful not to get it in the wound.
Chaco1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Next

Return to Healthcare