Breaking a puppy

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Breaking a puppy

Postby wlfkens » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:35 pm

I have a PP puppy she is 8 weeks old and I am starting to house break her. She has had her collar on for a week and is used to it. Has anyone used the method of 3 foot chain to the baseboard? Is there anything i should look for while doing this? Or is there other way to do this. The green book doesn't really go into to much detail, and this being my first time I don't want to make a mistake.
wlfkens
Pup
Pup

Re: Breaking a puppy

Postby Duckdon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:27 am

wlfkens wrote:I have a PP puppy she is 8 weeks old and I am starting to house break her. She has had her collar on for a week and is used to it. Has anyone used the method of 3 foot chain to the baseboard? Is there anything i should look for while doing this? Or is there other way to do this. The green book doesn't really go into to much detail, and this being my first time I don't want to make a mistake.

What is a "3 foot chain to a baseboard"?
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:46 am

I just took mine outside to go potty a lot. After every meal, after play time, after sleeping, and then quite a few more times on top of that. Always praise them like they did the greatest thing ever when they pee it poop in the area you want them to (so this means you are going outside with them every time, rain, shine and middle of night). He still peed in the house a fair amount (probably usually our fault not his) but he almost never pooped in the house. He was potty trained by about 4-5 months old.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:44 pm

wlfkens wrote:I have a PP puppy she is 8 weeks old and I am starting to house break her. She has had her collar on for a week and is used to it. Has anyone used the method of 3 foot chain to the baseboard? Is there anything i should look for while doing this? Or is there other way to do this. The green book doesn't really go into to much detail, and this being my first time I don't want to make a mistake.

The green book covers training a versatile hunting dog, not housebreaking a puppy. And what does the 3 ft chain to a baseboard have to do with housebreaking?

Pup wakes up, take it out to do its business. Pup eats, take it out. Pup drinks water, take it out. Pup gets done playing, take it out. Repeat.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:16 pm

I was lucky enough to have good weather whenever I’ve had a pup around. I’d leave the door open to the back yard all day and take the pup out or let it go out on its own every half hour or so. I never make a pup come into the house, it can be in if it wants or go out if it wants. This also allows the pup to become independent and choose its own environment or its association with people. All the pups became house broke in a very short time because they established a favorite spot with a little encouragement. It’s all about encouraging the correct behavior and providing opportunity.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:43 pm

when the pup is first introduced to the house I put them in a small kennel, they usually let you know when they want to go out, and yes every time they wake up , play, eat take them out .
And no have never herd of chain to the baseboard. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:39 pm

I introduce pups to the house by training them to go straight to the bed and stay there. After a while, they are trained to go straight back outside......which eliminated the possibility of an accident in the house. After they have gotten used to the drill, they sleep all night on the dog bed next to my bed. Last thing you want mis puppies having "accidents".
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:00 am

Had a bit of a drive home with my current pup so had a pup sized kennel crate strapped in to the passenger seat. Frequent stops, at least when she was awake. Stretch out a bit, play, eat and drink, piddle and poo. She'd start to yawn, we'd head to the rig, and though she couldn't get up high enough to actually get in, I did encourage her to try, then boost her up to seat level and encourage her to 'kennel'. Halfway home, it was pretty obvious that she really got the concept of that kennel being 'hers'.

Once home, pretty much continued that drill. She was directly supervised, sleeping (little buggers thankfully do that a fair bit. :) ) either in the lap or kennel. 'Her' place, that kennel, has always been a tidy place, pups pick that up quickly. Extended that 'don't poop the nest' pretty much as Rynar or Forrest put it. Out often, always after sleeping, food, water or play..

As a result, the only times she's had an accident was either being sick or I missed my cue. And even then she'd be by the door.. trying. Just a non-issue issue with this lass.

Cable and baseboard?? That's news to me.

Housebreaking, well, that's a pretty universal 'Dog' topic, so might consider 'puppy' books. I know Joanne (Joan?) Bailey has had some good reviews on her 'puppy books'. Others might be able to give a bit more feedback there.
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:55 pm

I used to crate the pups at night.

Now, I tie them off to the base of my bed, level with my head. I hear when they get restless and take them out. Soon they will put their paws up on the bed to let me know they need to go.

During the day I use the bell on the door. But,, I cant do that now because my old dog has La fora and it freaks her out.

Note: I still crate train, just not at night.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Have never heard of the chain to baseboard method. The previous posters spelled it out. Time, patience, lots of trips outside, cleaning up the accidents, and the relief that comes when it finally takes. Some get it quick and with others it takes longer. Hope you get lucky and your pup gets it quick.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby wlfkens » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:15 pm

I do apologize I did word the question poorly I was trying to ask about preparing them for being on a leash or staked out. It explains it in the green book right before healing. But it doesnt go into detail about how long to have them tied off or what to look for before they are ready to be placed in the kennel. It also doesn't say how old the pup should be before this process. I haven't started any of it because I am unsure of the process.

Sorry again everyone about the wording I didn't mean house breaking for going outside.
wlfkens
Pup
Pup

Postby wlfkens » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Duckdon wrote:

What is a "3 foot chain to a baseboard"?
Don and Crew

Sorry for the confusion. To clarify I was asking about getting them used to being staked out or leashed. In the the green book the part I'm referring to is right before healing work. It mentions getting a collar on them and I've they are used to the collar start tiring them to a corner in the room for short periods. I am just unsure about what age or what point I should unclip them and place in the kennel.
wlfkens
Pup
Pup

Postby wlfkens » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:54 pm

ANick wrote:Had a bit of a drive home with my current pup so had a pup sized kennel crate strapped in to the passenger seat. Frequent stops, at least when she was awake. Stretch out a bit, play, eat and drink, piddle and poo. She'd start to yawn, we'd head to the rig, and though she couldn't get up high enough to actually get in, I did encourage her to try, then boost her up to seat level and encourage her to 'kennel'. Halfway home, it was pretty obvious that she really got the concept of that kennel being 'hers'.

Once home, pretty much continued that drill. She was directly supervised, sleeping (little buggers thankfully do that a fair bit. :) ) either in the lap or kennel. 'Her' place, that kennel, has always been a tidy place, pups pick that up quickly. Extended that 'don't poop the nest' pretty much as Rynar or Forrest put it. Out often, always after sleeping, food, water or play..

As a result, the only times she's had an accident was either being sick or I missed my cue. And even then she'd be by the door.. trying. Just a non-issue issue with this lass.

Cable and baseboard?? That's news to me.

Housebreaking, well, that's a pretty universal 'Dog' topic, so might consider 'puppy' books. I know Joanne (Joan?) Bailey has had some good reviews on her 'puppy books'. Others might be able to give a bit more feedback there.

Sorry I worded my question badly. I was more referring to the pre heal training getting them used to being tied off for short periods. The green book talks about it briefly but not in any detail. I was not sure of when to the them off or how long and at what point to you release them and place back in their kennel or sleeping spot.

I will definitely use the other advice and thank you. This is the first hunting dog, I will take all the advice I can get thank you.
wlfkens
Pup
Pup

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Yes, staking then is very effective method of potty training. I had to resort to that, and leashing puppy to me with a hands free leash, to train my first dog.

Perfect Puppy in 7 days by Sophia Yin details this methodology.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:52 pm

For the first four months of my pups life every time she was inside the house I had a light lead attached to her collar. I tried to never let her out of my site so i would notice and cues for her needing to go outside. If I needed both hands to do something I tethered her to my waist. If I had a nap on the couch I had the end of the leash through my hand. I should also mentioned that I spent the first month of her life sleeping on my nice comfy couch so that made things a whole lot easier. I wouldn't hesitate going that route again with my next pup.

Like others mentioned, I took her out every time she woke up, after drinking water, after eating, after playing, and anytime I saw her starting to circle. She was fully house broken at 11 weeks of age. The only accidents (4 times peeing, 4 days in a row) was when we had non stop torrential rain for the better part of a week. She'd go to the door to be let out, take one look at the pouring rain, and thought, " I'm not going out in that." If I took my eyes off her for just a few seconds I'd see a puddle at the sliding patio door.

When I couldn't watch her closely I'd put her in her kennel. I used kennels of graduating size so that she would never use it to do her business because there wasn't any extra room. Overall, house breaking was quite painless and took far less time than I was led to believe when house breaking a griff.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to Training