Tracking Collar/E collar

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Tracking Collar/E collar

Postby JGT » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am

I’m wanting to get some new e collars and I also want some tracking collars. I probably won’t use the gos very often but I would definitely like to have it if I take all the dogs out hunting. I’ve heard many stories of great dogs getting away unnoticed abd by the time they realize it they’re out of range of their e collar and it usually turns into a dog that’s never seen again especially when you’re hundreds of miles away from home.

Just wondering if I would be better off buying the Combo collars like the tri-tronics or if I should buy them separately so I don’t use up the gps battery and shorten the charge life when I’m just training? Any other collars I should look at? Thanks in advance!
JGT
Pup
Pup

Re: Tracking Collar/E collar

Postby Stretch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:25 am

Get a garmin alpha.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:41 am

Garmin Alpha all the way. The dogs don't leave the house without it.

I still use a training collar for training, the settings aren't as variable or easy to use as is ideal for training, but it's by far the best hunting system.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:27 am

You say you are getting new ecollars and a tracking collar. Then I would go with the alpha. I don't prescribe to that though. I like running the dog's with an ecollar and an Astro tracking collar. That way if one goes and has to be sent in, I have the other to use. The Alpha is also pain in the butt to use as a training collar. Too hard to switch intensities quickly. I far, far, prefer the separate ecollar for training.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:37 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:You say you are getting new ecollars and a tracking collar. Then I would go with the alpha. I don't prescribe to that though. I like running the dog's with an ecollar and an Astro tracking collar. That way if one goes and has to be sent in, I have the other to use. The Alpha is also pain in the butt to use as a training collar. Too hard to switch intensities quickly. I far, far, prefer the separate ecollar for training.

X2!!!!

And, truthfully I just hunt with the Astro... no need for corrections, and when shes on point... shes on POINT. I only need assistance finding her in the cane.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:54 am

I get along well with my Garmin Alpha when hunting. One transmitter on me, one collar on the dog is my preference. I have had zero problems with battery life, but I also always plug my collars in overnite when hunting the next day so I don't.

I use a Garmin 550 for training as the instant variability in stimulation levels is far and away better than the Alpha. The Alpha has three buttons which can be pre-programmed to 3 different levels of stimulation if desired which likely meets alot of training needs, but it is far too slow to adjust stimulation levels in the heat of the training moment for me. Trying to tap a screen to adjust stimulation levels instead of watching the dog is something I want no part of while training.

When hunting I use one button on the Alpha for recall tone so for me that only leaves 2 buttons for stimulation. I set one on a higher level which will discourage my pup yipping on the tail of a coyote and the other is set low enough I can correct around birds or address a dropped bird if need be with no detriment to my pup's attitude/style.

So I get along well with the Alpha for hunting but do not use it for those areas of training where instant variation in low level stimulation comes into play frequently.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:18 am

I do as AG does. Alpha strictly for hunting. I like the convenience of one collar, one transmitter. For training I always use my Pro 550, it's much more effective and efficient for training purposes.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 am

ryanr wrote:I do as AG does. Alpha strictly for hunting. I like the convenience of one collar, one transmitter. For training I always use my Pro 550, it's much more effective and efficient for training purposes.

x3 - I have both and like each for it's purpose

heck I still have an old ATS telemetry system from when I ran coonhounds,,,,still works but haven't used in years
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CZfan107 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:17 am

The way i was thinking on how to use for training was that Alpha has the option to use standard TT buttons L,M,H set on a level 1-6 and lock screen ? To use on one dog only . Traditional Stimulation Mode Is Same as the TT 550.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... 45727.html
CZfan107
Started
Started

Postby jfwhit » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:29 pm

I also do as AG does. Only difference is I use vibrate to turn him or get his attention if he’s goofing off. I can Vibrate him and he will cross back over a fence if he goes on private property. Without saying a word. Low stim for corrections elsewhere. Alpha is a game changer. No more quessing where the dog is. And when he’s on point.

Pro 550 for training.
jfwhit
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Wed May 02, 2018 9:49 am

I have a nice TRX 16 Wildlife Materials tracking unit with two 8000 hour collars with Yagi. If you haven't got dogs it would work well on Alzheimer patients that wonder off. Don't need it anymore.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training