Spring has arrived in Alberta!

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Spring has arrived in Alberta!

Postby Densa44 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:29 pm

There are millions of birds (yes there are) the creeks are flowing and there is no ice.

The dogs are in the water swimming after the geese. It doesn't seem to bother the geese at all.

One female PP just got back from a 2 month holiday in San Diego and was a little slow to get into the water (Too much California) but after a few minutes she couldn't resist and was splashing around with the rest of the pack. It has been a Very long winter here and I'm so glad that it is over.

The water is as cold as water gets but the dogs don't seem to notice at all.

To-day we had about a 60 knt. wind out of the west (what we call a duck day) and the landing birds just hung in the air.

Now we can get back to some serious training, good luck to all. I've got 2 dogs to get ready for the UT in August!
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Spring has arrived in Alberta!

Postby slistoe » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Have fun with the training.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CZfan107 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:06 am

Everyone has a big smile on when weather breaks puts us in a much better mood i Love Spring !!! Good Luck on your UT .
CZfan107
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:15 am

Finally hit NW Oregon. We don’t get the cold like points farther north but it’s just as misearble, maybe worse. Especially mentally.

Although dogless right now, they’re sure on my mind a lot..........
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:33 am

The "girls" are bring home gophers that they are able to catch (I don't know how but the coyotes can too) I guess that they are all wolves at heart.

For those that worry about cold water, that is all we have here. I can tell you with assurance that without bathing suits or anything else they are swimming with great glee.

Duck search starts to-day, all those ducks I saved in the freezer are going to get used.

BTW, these are NOT ducks that I shot. These are ducks that the dogs found on their own and retrieved. I seen other members comment on this phenomenon too. My personal rules are; I don't eat them but I don't waste them either. I quickly and humanly dispatch them and count them in my possession but not daily limit.

Get out there with your very frisky dogs!
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 am

I read these post from my northern neighbors and shake my head. Out here in the desert it has already broke 100 degrees a few times and the forests are all in phase 2 fire restrictions. by the end of this month swimming will be the only exercise Otto get's till Oct.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:57 am

Just an up date. The divers are gone, we won't see them again until fall, still lots of geese. The snow is all gone and we have puddles in the fields. Some of these puddles are 40 acres in size so the ducks think that they are ponds and make poor nesting decisions and build on the edge of what will be gone in a week or two. If we have a wet spring we may get 2 hatches of chicks if not it will just be the one.

Spring is over I think, the temps are going up to the high 20s this week. The mud is mostly gone too.

Have fun folks.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Fri May 04, 2018 10:42 am

LongHammer wrote:I read these post from my northern neighbors and shake my head. Out here in the desert it has already broke 100 degrees a few times and the forests are all in phase 2 fire restrictions. by the end of this month swimming will be the only exercise Otto get's till Oct.

No temps like that, but full fire bans are in place over much of the province - way too dry for this early in the season.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 am

Densa44 wrote:Just an up date. The divers are gone, we won't see them again until fall, still lots of geese. The snow is all gone and we have puddles in the fields. Some of these puddles are 40 acres in size so the ducks think that they are ponds and make poor nesting decisions and build on the edge of what will be gone in a week or two. If we have a wet spring we may get 2 hatches of chicks if not it will just be the one.

Spring is over I think, the temps are going up to the high 20s this week. The mud is mostly gone too.

Have fun folks.

Ran the mower over the lawn yesterday and had to wear a dust mask.
The good part is the bluebirds returned to the yard again, the tree swallows are back in full force, and I have managed to kill off all marauding house sparrows and starlings.
Hopefully the Sharptail numbers will continue to build this year.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri May 04, 2018 10:51 am

Raining, 52 degrees, feels like 25. Ug..... At least the wind isn’t blowing...yet. Gotta work on something out in the unheated garage. Hope I don’t freeze to the table saw.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training