barking when bird flushes

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

barking when bird flushes

Postby Falk » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:23 pm

working on steadying up my boy. when I flush a bird (be it after a point or when I have him backing) he starts barking as I restrain him. Is this and issue that needs to be addressed and is so how?
Falk
Pup
Pup

Re: barking when bird flushes

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Noise can be a real problem. If I were a hunter only, I wouldn't care much, figuring it may go away with age. If your going to run him in tests, it's and entirely different matter. Thing is, when you work stopping the noise, make SURE the dog knows WHAT he is being corrected for or you could end up with a bird blinker.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:57 pm

GH is right, this can turn into a real problem. I'd go to the collar asap, and be beside him when the bird is flushed, fire lots of shots from the cap gun. If he behaves himself lots of praise, otherwise use the collar. Just a bit, don't overdo it! If this hasn't gone on for too long you may be able to control it.

Un petit histoire When I trained Labs my friend had a dog that wouldn't stop barking and he was an excellent animal in all other respects, in the days before e-collars, the vocal cords were surgically removed. Very sad solution.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Densa44 wrote:GH is right, this can turn into a real problem. I'd go to the collar asap, and be beside him when the bird is flushed, fire lots of shots from the cap gun. If he behaves himself lots of praise, otherwise use the collar. Just a bit, don't overdo it! If this hasn't gone on for too long you may be able to control it.

Un petit histoire When I trained Labs my friend had a dog that wouldn't stop barking and he was an excellent animal in all other respects, in the days before e-collars, the vocal cords were surgically removed. Very sad solution.

X2...

Not sure of your breed or your intentions... But, some might infer that it's a temperament issue and question breeding.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training