Whistle or Ecollar tone / Recal

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Whistle or Ecollar tone / Recal

Postby ejm4 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Is it better to train the pup to recall on the whistle or the tone setting of the ecollar?
ejm4
Started
Started

Re: Whistle or Ecollar tone / Recal

Postby JONOV » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:19 pm

ejm4 wrote:Is it better to train the pup to recall on the whistle or the tone setting of the ecollar?

Why not do both? It would be easy enough, teach one, then do them in sequence.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:44 pm

I train the voice command first, then overlay the whistle, and then overlay the Ecollar tone last. I use the ecollar tone the most when hunting, use the voice around the house/yard and use the whistle when my dog is trying to comply with the ecollar tone in the field but does not know where I am. They all have their place and use.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:33 am

If you have or hunt with more than one dog the e-collar shines, with just a buzz I can recall the dogs individually. When I want them all I just whistle.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GFORCE » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:34 am

I did both. Lot of guys find it rude if you are on the whistle all day long.
Averageguy said it best.
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Both.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Can't use an e collar in most trials.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ejm4 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks -

We tried some this afternoon with the tone function of the e-collar and a hot dog. Worked well for a while, but then the newness wore off and the hot dog was no longer a reward... So I then became the chaser... :-(
ejm4
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:45 am

ejm4 wrote:Thanks -

We tried some this afternoon with the tone function of the e-collar and a hot dog. Worked well for a while, but then the newness wore off and the hot dog was no longer a reward... So I then became the chaser... :-(

Someone that trained a few VC shorthairs told me, "quit while your ahead." The greater point was that when we see what we want, we become like a kid with shiny new toy, we want to use it and demonstrate it over and over and over again. We'll set out to train something, struggle, make progress, see success. What we should do is praise the hell out of the dog and end the training session, or do it one more time, tops...This is doubly true with pups. The other benefit of this is that you don't become a chaser, and the dog doesn't learn that its optional.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ejm4 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:51 am

JONOV wrote:
ejm4 wrote:Thanks -

Someone that trained a few VC shorthairs told me, "quit while your ahead." The greater point was that when we see what we want, we become like a kid with shiny new toy, we want to use it and demonstrate it over and over and over again. We'll set out to train something, struggle, make progress, see success. What we should do is praise the hell out of the dog and end the training session, or do it one more time, tops...This is doubly true with pups. The other benefit of this is that you don't become a chaser, and the dog doesn't learn that its optional.

Good point... Thank you !
ejm4
Started
Started

Postby SMAbby » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Both. Whistle and body for test. Tone, Garmin and body for hunting. Who the hell wants to listen to someone whistling or yelling while your hunting.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 am

AverageGuy wrote:I train the voice command first, then overlay the whistle, and then overlay the Ecollar tone last. I use the ecollar tone the most when hunting, use the voice around the house/yard and use the whistle when my dog is trying to comply with the ecollar tone in the field but does not know where I am. They all have their place and use.

This is what I do. I also have a hand signal for recall and heel that I use a lot. I'm a lefty so I heel my dog on the right. A simple touch of the right thigh with my right hand will bring the dog boiling in to heel. My dog and I operate a lot in silence, with hand signals. I am convinced it re-enforces the behavior of the dog periodically keeping up with me and what I am doing. It is also very useful when your electronics crap out or you are spending time in a primitive area without electricity to charge batteries. I have hunted with guys that go into a tizzy when they are without their electronics.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Training