Hunting a 4 month old griff

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Hunting a 4 month old griff

Postby Stretch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi. I’m new to this site and a first time bird dog owner. I have a 4 month old Griff. I’ve been hunting him and he’s pointing and retrieving to hand about 70% of the time. Here in Southeast Iowa pheasant run a lot so you don’t get a lot of good points. Should I be shooting the pheasant that he doesn’t point? And when should I start doing some formal training? I would appreciate any advice you are willing to give thanks.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Hunting a 4 month old griff

Postby Stretch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Also he his doing good on tracking the last few cripples we have had.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Higgins » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 pm

Hello Stretch,

I train a lot of Griffons. Here is a link to one of my videos. Thought you might find it helpful. After watching it, if you have questions, please let me know. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/wvaOvt9sMqs
Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette:

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Higgins
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Stretch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:12 pm

I’ve never had Barrett my pup on anything but wild birds should I start planting birds and holding him back from retrieving.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby bwjohn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:34 pm

stretch,
it depends on what you want out of the dog. If you are content with her not pointing as long as you are getting birds do what you are doing.

Phez are hard for a young dog to learn on, like you said the running is tough on them and she is young as well.

I would never restrain a dog into point. If you are going to use planted birds you need to have control over the situation. For example, control over when the bird flies. If you dizzy a quail and let your dog catch it, then you have done nothing to encourage the pointing instinct.

the method I most closely follow is the Gibbons/West method, also a man name Maurice Lindley does a lot with this approach. It very heavily relies on the Stop to Flush approach. A check cord and a few homing pigeons and you are set to go.

sounds like you are going to have a fun off season training your dog, good luck and have fun!!

brandon
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:25 am

I never let any one shoot anything on the ground. I worry about some one accidentally shooting my dog. There are enough birds that you don't need to take those kids of risks.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Stretch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 am

I’ve never shot anything on the ground.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Stretch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:45 am

We have a few quail around here and when we get into them he does a really good job at pointing.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JONOV » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:03 am

Stretch wrote:Hi. I’m new to this site and a first time bird dog owner. I have a 4 month old Griff. I’ve been hunting him and he’s pointing and retrieving to hand about 70% of the time. Here in Southeast Iowa pheasant run a lot so you don’t get a lot of good points. Should I be shooting the pheasant that he doesn’t point? And when should I start doing some formal training? I would appreciate any advice you are willing to give thanks.

That's a loaded question and the answer largely depends on your goals and the standard you expect the dog to perform to.

Some people want a dog they can hunt and kill birds behind. The finer points? They aren't as strict on. But other people can't abide by much of anything short of the highest standards, and demand steadiness to wing and shot and often to fall.

Are you planning on testing a dog to a certain level (AKC SH/MH, NAVHDA UT?)

Is the dog flushing birds, or are the birds just wiley and skittish?

My close college friend lives in Iowa and has all his life, hunted with labs all his life til he got his GWP. He hacks on that thing to stay close because "Pheasants are skittish where I live." I'm certainly no expert but unless I thought the dog was chasing and flushing, I'd give the 1 year old dog the slack to learn how to work birds...Some of that is sour grapes. I'm jealous of the hunting he has in his backyard and that I can't really develop my dog that way since I can't hope for as many opportunities to work skittish birds and learn...

But, different strokes for different folks...one guy on facebook wrote a post about is pointing breed, "I'm so happy with her today, stayed within 30 yards the whole time." And I thought, why buy a pointing breed then...
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Stretch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:12 pm

I’m going to do the NA test but don’t know how much farther I will take it. The birds are really skittish and will flush way out in front of us. Barrett is good at waiting for me and don’t get much farther than 50 yards away. The snow we got and cold weather made the pheasant hold a lot better towards the end of season and he did will I thought.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Stretch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 pm

From what I’ve been reading I thought the wild birds would teach him more than I could and give him drive.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JONOV » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:58 pm

At 4 months, he's still a toddler. Just keep that in mind in regards to your expectations. Sounds like you have a heck of a dog that points well though!

You might talk to someone locally that has a good pointing dog...See what they think since they know the birds better than any of us.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Stretch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:13 pm

2990CFE6-549A-482A-8024-21B39BE50DCF.jpeg
Rooster is about 10yrds away of that and held for prolly 2min before I flushed it.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Stretch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:20 pm

What do I need to work on before the NA test in June.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JONOV » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Stretch wrote:What do I need to work on before the NA test in June.

Making sure she swims for a thrown dummy.

Tracking, though it sounds like she had that part down? Definitely seems like you have the point down. Recall is good to show cooperation to the judges.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to Training